Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

Just now, Legend said:

Doesnt the 5 pack have yellow ends and the 7 pack have the black hood ?   I thought it looked impressive on the telly last night . Was tempted but space is still the issue for me  plus its £400 of train that would be run once in a blue moon . 

Sorry, yes my error.

The point was that it probably makes more of a difference as to which pack you want to start with.

I am not really bothered about the bogied test coach, but I do want the black windowed version & I want to make up the full 14 coach train, so this means I start with the 7 coach set. I expect there are a lot of others who do too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Ive space to just about fit a 14 coach set, but reality is I probably never will run it.

on this one i’m going with the 7, it’ll fit better with everything else, I may add an extra 2 to it, so it lines up alongside my Pendolino etc but 14 makes little practical sense and 5 extra coaches, sat in boxes just to look at is increasingly becoming both a space and cost luxury.

Edited by adb968008

At least you know it'll do a scale 162 mph maxed out!!

Quite an interesting episode of the Hornby series last night.

Had they changed the gearing, or re-clocked the motor / faster turns?

Normally higher revving motors burn their brushes faster / get hotter / use more current.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

At least you know it'll do a scale 162 mph maxed out!!

Quite an interesting episode of the Hornby series last night.

Had they changed the gearing, or re-clocked the motor / faster turns?

Normally higher revving motors burn their brushes faster / get hotter / use more current.

Al.

Pretty sure they just said it was a “new motor” so presumably a higher revving motor, TBH I’d be more interested in an excellent slow pull away and low crawl than outright high speed, but I guess that’s for the “toy train/train set” market?

59 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Pretty sure they just said it was a “new motor” so presumably a higher revving motor, TBH I’d be more interested in an excellent slow pull away and low crawl than outright high speed, but I guess that’s for the “toy train/train set” market?

That's what I thought as well.

If it's the motor, let's hope any spares are not prohibitively expensive - would like to see 'alternative applications' ...

Would be nice to see my Mallard reach 126 mph scale - hopefully with bushes intact and no hydrogen sulphide odours.... !!

Al.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

The NDM is fairly quick off the mark but for those who use DCC, than can be altered. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

The NDM is fairly quick off the mark but for those who use DCC, than can be altered. 

My NDM arrived today (ordered 24 hours ago from Peterspares!) so I shall take a look this week, plenty of time as I had to send my 18000 back to RoS today :resent:

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Just like the original version then, which had a unique armature in the ringfield motor. Try buying one of them as a spare ;)

I’m watching it as we speak..

I want one ! I have no roundy roundy, no catenary , and only a passing interest in WCML….but this take me back to about 1981 and having the original version when I was about 9-10…

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I want one ! I have no roundy roundy, no catenary , and only a passing interest in WCML….but this take me back to about 1981 and having the original version when I was about 9-10…

Must admit, the new NDM arrived today and I had a spare MX600R laying around, nice and easy to fit for once (well done Hornby) and just needs some tuning of the accel and deceleration curves but had it whizzing around and I just say it looks nice and I might just be tempted to look at the rest of the range rather than convert to work with the old version, I’m thinking to keep the original…..er….original now.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

That’s three too many in anyone’s world :lol:

It’s what you have left over after cutting up five sets to make a 14 car train, with a completely new chassis built into one power car and the second power car converted to be a dummy. :)

Andi

46 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

It’s what you have left over after cutting up five sets to make a 14 car train, with a completely new chassis built into one power car and the second power car converted to be a dummy. :)

Andi

14 car set must look fairly orgasmic snaking around I’d think …..have I got space for Milton Keynes in 10x 6 ?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

14 car set must look fairly orgasmic snaking around I’d think …..have I got space for Milton Keynes in 10x 6 ?

I put a video up earlier in the thread that showed it at RMweb live in Coventry. I look forward to having two 14 car trains, one new and one old! 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150509-Hornby-apt-2020/&do=findComment&comment=4615606

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I feel your pain!! I'd love on too! I sold the 1st Version off when DJM announced his project but thankfully did not bite their either. I might hold off a wee bit and maybe just get enjoyment from lads video them running on their layouts on Utube.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Are these actually on sale now ?

Extension coaches and NDM are

On 30/10/2021 at 04:17, WestRail642fan said:

take this with an entire 7 plank truck full of salt, but according to a comment made by Hornby on facebook, the main train packs are expected to arrive before Christmas

image.png.6ad0d6e8c166399e41ac4f67690059e9.png

https://www.facebook.com/officialhornby/posts/10158015485775843:0 source of the comment

sets are on sale as pre orders and due by Christmas according to this from Hornby FB. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well I did save the four recordings of the new Hornby A Model world and binged watched them tonight amazing television! 

My favorite so far is the APT episode. I wanted the City of Derby NDM and the APT-P with black surrounds and final logos on the DTS so I've ended up buying both the 7 car and 5 car packs and the 8 coach packs and the NDM I love the BR InterCity APT on the top of the box I was expecting the typical ariel rooftop image of the NDM, but it is a nice different touch to have the logo. I must sound like a broken record here yes the model looks stunning!

I've seen the headlights on the DTS on Mondays episode of the finalised product and they look different to the recent advert of the 5 car set with the headlights where they should be in the right place I the middle and not the bottom half covered but we'll see. 

Edited by RyanN91
Typo fixed
  • Like 2