Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dagworth said:

That’s a real shame, would have been so easy to attach it to the motor cradle so that it stayed level with the bogies (non tilting) but in line with the car body. 

The original did exactly that, three steps forward, one back? :D

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

The original did exactly that, three steps forward, one back? :D

The original Hornby model had the pantograph attached directly to the top of the motor bogie, it also followed the movement of the bogie. The new version follows the same principle where it is attached directly to the bogie. 

It could be attached to the motor cradle with some thought. However the movement of the pantograph is relative to the movement of the bogie and will depend on the radius of  the trackworks turnouts and curves.. for those with large radius curves and turnouts it’s not such a problem. 

I'm not even sure how noticeable the tilt is on 6ft radius curves yet, as I think it’s designed with 2nd and 3rd radius curves in mind.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

I'm not even sure how noticeable the tilt is on 6ft radius curves yet, as I think it’s designed with 2nd and 3rd radius curves in mind.

Not very from placing the rake on the fiddle yard curves. Although I am looking forward to seeing it sweep through the reverse curves on Whatley! Errr.... my train set, my rules (or something like that). Obviously not at an exhibition (I hasten to add).

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Not very from placing the rake on the fiddle yard curves. Although I am looking forward to seeing it sweep through the reverse curves on Whatley! Errr.... my train set, my rules (or something like that). Obviously not at an exhibition (I hasten to add).

Guy

In the last hour of a show, anything goes. Except Thomas, never Thomas. 

Edited by Wolf27
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, 96701 said:

You might need to lose some yellow off the power cars. I took the first one at Farington Curve Junction, the other 2 from Ladywell House in either 1978 or 1979 I can't remember which.

1403983775_Testtrain.jpg.3dc8153526c9ffb69a3e1e713de5c13c.jpg

299347554_Testtrain2.jpg.d7a84c0c8d1ebb0c3361171935663dfd.jpg

483583080_Testtrain3.jpg.c619543e0518af9d5a8b9319e98efb9f.jpg

All sorted now.

51638523985_683be3217e_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

And just for good measure, because it did happen

51637677541_6f637a30d6_z.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 16
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

The original Hornby model had the pantograph attached directly to the top of the motor bogie, it also followed the movement of the bogie. The new version follows the same principle where it is attached directly to the bogie. 

It could be attached to the motor cradle with some thought. However the movement of the pantograph is relative to the movement of the bogie and will depend on the radius of  the trackworks turnouts and curves.. for those with large radius curves and turnouts it’s not such a problem. 

Yes my original is the same surprise, surprise.

If in the new model it is attached to the motor cradle somehow (I assume you mean the central mounted motor part) then surely the panto would tip as the body tips?

If it’s the “turning” of the panto when the bogie turns that is the issue, it’s almost unnoticeable…..seems to be on the old version I have.

Edited by boxbrownie

9 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes my original is the same surprise, surprise.

If in the new model it is attached to the motor cradle somehow (I assume you mean the central mounted motor part) then surely the panto would tip as the body tips?

If it’s the “turning” of the panto when the bogie turns that is the issue, it’s almost unnoticeable…..seems to be on the old version I have.

From what I can see the motor cradle in the new version stays parallel to the track, only the body tilts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

From what I can see the motor cradle in the new version stays parallel to the track, only the body tilts.

Same as the original then?

I suppose a length of plastic card reinforced or even some metal rod/channel might be able to be made up to support the panto over the bogie.

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Wolf27 said:

That’s how I did the repower of my original set, the bogies and motor cradle etc. are pretty much a conventional chassis with the pan mounted on that, and the body is free to roll/tilt around the chassis. The only contact from the body to anything else is where it rests on the tilt cams of the bogies. 

I will relocate the pan mounts on all my new NMDs in much the same way. 

Andi

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

Same as the original then?

There is no motor cradle in the original, only a pancake power bogie. The pan mounted on top of the bogie rotates as the bogie does. 

The motor cradle in Shane’s photos links the two bogie towers, doesn’t tilt but stays in line with the car body which rolls/tilts around it. A pan attached to the cradle would neither rotate with the bogie or tilt with the body, thus behaving exactly as the prototype. 

Andi

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dagworth said:

There is no motor cradle in the original, only a pancake power bogie. The pan mounted on top of the bogie rotates as the bogie does. 

The motor cradle in Shane’s photos links the two bogie towers, doesn’t tilt but stays in line with the car body which rolls/tilts around it. A pan attached to the cradle would neither rotate with the bogie or tilt with the body, thus behaving exactly as the prototype. 

Andi

Yes I know, effectively the bogie is the motor cradle :rolleyes:

And I understood the latter as I commented upon maybe using a strip of plastic and or rod/channel to keep the panto straight and level.

Food for thought here.  I made an Impulse purchase of the NDM to strip the internals and use inside my.old Hornby model.  But it seems so easy to connect up to the existing model (just a matter of swapping the couplings).  Shame the colour is different.  I think the least painful way will be a respray of the NDM cream into the blue grey that Hornby originally used.  Might not be authentic, but probably the easiest for my skills. 

IMG_20211030_231024614.jpg

IMG_20211030_231016660.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

Anyone Know which colour is closest to the actual APT and, were they all the same anyway?

The new one. The original Hornby model was guesswork which was odd as the actual train had been around for a couple of years already.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Food for thought here.  I made an Impulse purchase of the NDM to strip the internals and use inside my.old Hornby model.  But it seems so easy to connect up to the existing model (just a matter of swapping the couplings).  Shame the colour is different.  I think the least painful way will be a respray of the NDM cream into the blue grey that Hornby originally used.  Might not be authentic, but probably the easiest for my skills. 

IMG_20211030_231024614.jpg

IMG_20211030_231016660.jpg

I like that idea, I was wondering about digging out my old version as I changed to the Strathpeffer CD motor conversion which fitted and went well but TBH just doesn’t have the “umph” for the full length train, too much wheel slip when negotiating the corners, your idea would work well by the looks of it and spraying the NDM to match isn’t too much 0f a challenge.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I like that idea, I was wondering about digging out my old version as I changed to the Strathpeffer CD motor conversion which fitted and went well but TBH just doesn’t have the “umph” for the full length train, too much wheel slip when negotiating the corners, your idea would work well by the looks of it and spraying the NDM to match isn’t too much 0f a challenge.

Something very odd with this NDM (in a good way)

The couplings unscrew.  Once out, the original NDM coupling will screw in, though it does need a little boring out.  Once out, it connects perfectly to the existing coupling on the original APT carriage.  Same height, the joint equal between the two units.  Coupled fairly close together.   The coupling you take off the new NDM is a simple push fit and clip into the old NDM

Disclaimer - haven't attempted to sent it around a corner yet.

Very unusual to find a mod so easy....

IMG_20211031_195313563_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211031_200048500_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211031_195045293.jpg

IMG_20211031_195959461_HDR_copy_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20211031_200012727_HDR_copy_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20211031_195947765_copy_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20211031_202135087.jpg

IMG_20211031_202131230.jpg

Edited by Ouroborus
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Something very odd with this NDM (in a good way)

The couplings unscrew.  Once out, the original NDM coupling will screw in, though it does need a little boring out.  Once out, it connects perfectly to the existing coupling on the original APT carriage.  Same height, the joint equal between the two units.  Coupled fairly close together.   The coupling you take off the new NDM is a simple push fit and clip into the old NDM

Disclaimer - haven't attempted to sent it around a corner yet.

Very unusual to find a mod so easy....

IMG_20211031_195313563_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211031_200048500_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211031_195045293.jpg

IMG_20211031_195959461_HDR_copy_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20211031_200012727_HDR_copy_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20211031_195947765_copy_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20211031_202135087.jpg

IMG_20211031_202131230.jpg

OK…this is all your fault…..I decided I wouldn’t touch the new APT as my old one is in perfect condition apart from the traction quality of the power car…..yes I did it, ordered the new power car, now the challenge is to paint match the new to old.

Oh well nothing else to do :scratchhead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

OK…this is all your fault…..I decided I wouldn’t touch the new APT as my old one is in perfect condition apart from the traction quality of the power car…..yes I did it, ordered the new power car, now the challenge is to paint match the new to old.

Oh well nothing else to do :scratchhead:

You could always be brave and set yourself an even bigger challenge and paint match old to new :yes:

Roy

• Like 1