Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Pretty certain that this is now three layouts from this year's SWAG that have now featured in this year's issues of BRM............

Perhaps suggests the.....ahem, cough....."high standard" of layouts on the day.................

Just saying.....

Rob

Maybe you're just lucky.......nice habit....

Chris

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Enjoyed the article in BRM, it's always good to see pictures of your work and the photo's certainly do it justice.

I'm doing my first exhibition next year and taking a small inglenook so I'm glad to hear Robs comments about how absorbing it can be using the card system, I'll have to have a practice! 

Congratulations on a fine layout, love the pics in the album too 👍

Good luck with your first show - where and when?

Every so often Rob is right....

Chris

4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Good luck with your first show - where and when?

Every so often Rob is right....

Chris

Thank you, it's Shenfield next September so I've a bit of time to get things together. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Hi Chris, I was wondering how you operated PMB, which line is the Main and do you propel stock in from the main line then using the cards shunt the train and draw it out? 

Steve. 

Hi Steve

So far we have tended to keep the two parts separate - the branchline - at rear - acts as a headshunt for the card puzzle and the "main" at the front as a service of DMUs and an inspection saloon with a shiney newly repainted 37. It certainly keeps things moving when necessary - although a small layout we have 2  throttles on the go.

51764807953_bdbb5bd29d_z.jpg

We have not done much interchange at shows but I have used the platform road as an overflow for a sticky shunting puzzle - I shall get a bit more ambitious next time out. We have used the plarform road for some light engine movements as well.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Hi Steve

So far we have tended to keep the two parts separate - the branchline - at rear - acts as a headshunt for the card puzzle and the "main" at the front as a service of DMUs and an inspection saloon with a shiney newly repainted 37. It certainly keeps things moving when necessary - although a small layout we have 2  throttles on the go.

51764807953_bdbb5bd29d_z.jpg

We have not done much interchange at shows but I have used the platform road as an overflow for a sticky shunting puzzle - I shall get a bit more ambitious next time out. We have used the plarform road for some light engine movements as well.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that's a nice bit of operation for a small layout with still room for a little bit more with maybe the DMU reversing then taking the branch as happened at a few locations or a train being drawn in on the main and a shunter waiting in the yard to take over and shunt the puzzle. For a simple plan it's pretty versatile. I found a similar plan albeit with less sidings based on Chard where the prototype had those movements. 

The more I look at it your layout gets better and better! 

• Thanks 1

I recon using some modellers licence there's a lot extra traffic you could generate, parcels, PW, railhead treatment, and probably more I haven't thought about. 

I think I feel a new layout coming on! 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I recon using some modellers licence there's a lot extra traffic you could generate, parcels, PW, railhead treatment, and probably more I haven't thought about. 

I think I feel a new layout coming on! 

I do seem to have acquired some DRS motive power and some nuclear waste wagons....just saying...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Great photos on the link above. Its the kind of crsisp layout that a modeller can learn from, rather than the mega layouts which are entertaining and bring in the punters at shows. We need both I guess but I know which type to spend more time looking at  during an exhibition. Thanks for sharing.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2022 at 09:01, paulbb said:

Great photos on the link above. Its the kind of crsisp layout that a modeller can learn from, rather than the mega layouts which are entertaining and bring in the punters at shows. We need both I guess but I know which type to spend more time looking at  during an exhibition. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Paul - kind words

We try for both I hope - we do engage with the viewers by being out front and although the operation is completely contrived with smooth running, carefully managed sound and 95% hands off uncoupling we do get some nice comments. Lots of punters definitlely want to know  how we do things.

Chris

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Christmas means goodies - I make no excuse for this line up on PMB...all fitted with Kadees - PFAs with added weight and a bit of foam braking on the axles - it helps with reliable KD operation.

52593428601_ec3be91b00_c.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Excuses not needed Chris; everything looks very much at home there 😃

Funny you should say...the DRS stuff may get the occasional outing at shows - once its weathered and opeating reliably................I didn't do much testing TBH. There ar 68s in the wings and 37s on order...

C

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As well as the normal "Railfreight" roster at Fareham we may also try a bit of DRS activity with some PFAs etc. To that end I've been starting a few weathering projects..

53087719273_5a66188ccf_z.jpg

53086688974_0c83a99ab3_z.jpg

53224200560_8d809e40e2_z.jpg

53222825452_d59209b014_z.jpg

53222825402_fb2cddeb2f_z.jpg

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Day one of Fareham just about survived despite an odd short/throttle issue which emerged about 10 minutes before opening time......we deployed the nuclear option for the last hour....

53240006127_2c4a0422ac_z.jpg

53241176493_f8a087a00a_z.jpg

53240877766_bed8f00b69_z.jpg

Chris H

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

I have only just discovered your layout, I love it. 

The setting is something I just addore, I live relatively close to north Wales (English side of the Dee, I look at north Wales every morning) I model and buy stock that ran during the early to mid 90s in the north wear of England and particularly north Wales. 

Love the flask operations. 

Unfortunately the older pictures of the layout have gone when rmweb had the issues. 

Do you have a track plan at all?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

I have only just discovered your layout, I love it. 

The setting is something I just addore, I live relatively close to north Wales (English side of the Dee, I look at north Wales every morning) I model and buy stock that ran during the early to mid 90s in the north wear of England and particularly north Wales. 

Love the flask operations. 

Unfortunately the older pictures of the layout have gone when rmweb had the issues. 

Do you have a track plan at all?

Hi - the layout album is here - click on the photo:

Penmaenbach - Missenden Summer 2019 onwards

Trackplan is visible here - 400mm x 1500mm plus 250mm x 400mm off stage. Peo Large radius points...

48652873848_1b7dff6e8e_z.jpg

Chris H

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I've been back through this thread a few pages and sorry if I've missed it but can I ask who makes the Land Rover 101 Forward Control model? I'm quite a fan of these beasts and wouldn't mind a couple.

Cheers,

Wayne

• RMweb Gold
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Penmaenbach is at Weston Super Mare on 14 January.

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/y2024/25857-BurnhamandDistrictModelRailwayClub_Exhibition

Regular readers will know I do like to ring the changes so a new signalbox may be deployed...

53418622069_d3e8e92bd9_c.jpg

A BR LMR Type 15 laser cut kit from MMR models with a very few additions.

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2