Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

PMB appears to have made the cover of RM December 2021...this is a link to their FB page so I hope it does not break any forum rules....I do wish I'd used the end of the 37 with all the buffer beam detail added and not the shunting end...ho hum...

RMTV_Dec_21_Mag_Intro_3_1024x1024.jpg?v=

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 5

Hi Chris,

Now that I've finally had chance to read it, good article in the modeller.

I was hoping to get over to Thornbury for a closer look but I'm now working 12hr shifts both days.

Hopefully I'll get chance to see it at some point.

Have a good show.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry you won't make it Wayne and thanks for the kind words - who know what shows will happen and if PMB will appear?

Its just nice to be planning for a show and getting on with the smal jobs our practice session identified.

Main thing left to do is to check the Kadees and hope they work well for two days!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Sorry you won't make it Wayne and thanks for the kind words - who know what shows will happen and if PMB will appear?

Its just nice to be planning for a show and getting on with the smal jobs our practice session identified.

Main thing left to do is to check the Kadees and hope they work well for two days!

Chris

You do realise that I have never played properly with DCC or Kadees before a week tomorrow...............just saying. 

Giving a monkey a machine gun springs to mind. 

Rob. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

You do realise that I have never played properly with DCC or Kadees before a week tomorrow...............just saying. 

Giving a monkey a machine gun springs to mind. 

Rob. 

You've not met the other idiots yet....

the-banana-splits-2.jpg?resize=630,354

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

You've not met the other idiots yet....

the-banana-splits-2.jpg?resize=630,354

When did you sneak into my office ? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

What a beautiful little layout this is. It captures the scene perfectly & the scenery is top notch. Everything flows perfectly.

This is my kind of layout. I think small, well modelled scenes are what great. I've been a fans of Iain Rice's work for years, his cameo scenes book set off a flood of ideas in my head & after a long hiatus I am back to modelling once again. I hope my efforts will be as good as yours. I don't buy many model railway magazines but I might just see if this ones in asda today when I do the shop. 

That track really does look superb from peco.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Simon Moore said:

What a beautiful little layout this is. It captures the scene perfectly & the scenery is top notch. Everything flows perfectly.

Let's hope the trains do too....maiden outing so fingers are crossed....the critics' panel (the operating team) is assembling.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a copy of the Modeller earlier. Very much enjoyed the article and the photos make it look a whole lot more spacious. (Some photos in other articles seemed very poor, printing or resolution problems? But PMB's looked good!).

I assume the Inglenook setup relies on similar length wagons; is it the VDA/OTA/OBA length it's based on? Does it still work with the mix of longer wagons - or are they just treated as 'shunt at will'?*

Strongly contemplating a version set in the West Midlands with a Pensnett / Stourbridge branch vibe ;)

*Who's Will and what did he do to deserve being shunted at?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I picked up a copy of the Modeller earlier. Very much enjoyed the article and the photos make it look a whole lot more spacious. (Some photos in other articles seemed very poor, printing or resolution problems? But PMB's looked good!).

I assume the Inglenook setup relies on similar length wagons; is it the VDA/OTA/OBA length it's based on? Does it still work with the mix of longer wagons - or are they just treated as 'shunt at will'?*

Rich - the track plan is a 3/3/4 shunting puzzle - not the standard 3/3/5 as the longer wagons don't "fit" the geometry. The first show outing is next weekend and I plan to start off with nothing longer than the OCA/VDA standard wagons with shorter wagons included. As we get used to it I'll find a way of incorporating the longer vehicles in the mix - possible with a few "fiddles" when we draw the cards....

Funnily enough I've knocked up a shelf today that will clip onto the front of the layout to hold and display the cards so the viewers can hopefully see what we are trying to do...

As for the photos Ian Manderson always does a good job, he's a friend and lives about 45 minutes away so it works well.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Definitely the highlight of this month's Modeller for me.   I am hugely impressed at how much quality modelling you have crammed into a very small space, yet managed to avoid making it look overcrowded or contrived.  Even the bulk of the mighty 40 doesn't look out of place!

All the best,

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Rich - the track plan is a 3/3/4 shunting puzzle - not the standard 3/3/5 as the longer wagons don't "fit" the geometry.

Thanks Chris, I hadn't appreciated that distinction until now. I suppose it doesn't quite run as a 'proper' Inglenook puzzle, but a good challenge nevertheless. I think it's the idea of having a good shuffle of the wagons that's attractive, rather than just dropping off & picking up.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Thanks Chris, I hadn't appreciated that distinction until now. I suppose it doesn't quite run as a 'proper' Inglenook puzzle, but a good challenge nevertheless. I think it's the idea of having a good shuffle of the wagons that's attractive, rather than just dropping off & picking up.

Certainly on hour 4 of Day 2 of a show its good to have something to think about and hold your interest... PMB does allow a bit more variation but we shall see!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Grampus said:

Definitely the highlight of this month's Modeller for me.   I am hugely impressed at how much quality modelling you have crammed into a very small space, yet managed to avoid making it look overcrowded or contrived.  Even the bulk of the mighty 40 doesn't look out of place!

All the best,

Paul

Thanks Paul - appreciated. I wait to see what the paying public think! (Especially when the second 40 is allowed out to play...)

Chris

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Carrying on the "train of thought" It would be possible to retain the 3/3/5 by contriving a longer front track to take 5 wagons - it would allow a bit off scenic modelling or a structure beyond the buffers on tracks 2 and 3. Additionally on PMB we could use the platform track as part of the "puzzle"?

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2021 at 08:27, Gilbert said:

The Thornbury and South Gloucestershire exhibition is currently going ahead on 20/21 November albeit in a slightly modified form with measures such as online booked admission only etc.

https://www.tsgmrc.co.uk/

Penmaenbach may make its exhibition debut at the show....fingers crossed...

I see from their website they will be selling tickets on the door but they give a phone number on their website for checking availability.

https://www.tsgmrc.co.uk/exhibition-information/

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Carrying on the "train of thought" It would be possible to retain the 3/3/5 by contriving a longer front track to take 5 wagons - it would allow a bit off scenic modelling or a structure beyond the buffers on tracks 2 and 3. Additionally on PMB we could use the platform track as part of the "puzzle"?

Chris

Yep, like that idea. I was thinking 6' 1800mm long, allowing an extra 6" 150mm each end. I'd use that line alongside the platform as a runround line too, extended under a bridge....

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Yep, like that idea. I was thinking 6' 1800mm long, allowing an extra 6" 150mm each end. I'd use that line alongside the platform as a runround line too, extended under a bridge....

That would work. A runround on PMB would certainly  add to the potential. Any Inglenook+ retains the puzzle but can provide more variety.

Having said that, this was very much an experiment using the new Peco BH track so I kept it "simple" (ish).. PMB at least provides for a bit of DMU and "branch" operations.

My preference was 1500mm simply because I find that is the limit for both car loading and handling.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1