Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

You're very kind Rob 

I think - on reflection I fundamentally did not like the statement "that shunting layouts should follow the 1926 Guidelines relating to propelling moves or have a loop allowing a train to be drawn in, shunted and then move on".  I was thinking of an oval with cheeky little J70s next.....bummer...

The whole point of a hobby is that it is yours. At work or in family or social settings there will be things that need doing in particular ways, but with a hobby it is yours to do in any way you like. Even if you join a club, whether it is for railway modelling or playing rugby, you opt into the group rules because you want to. I am not bothered whether my trains run or not. I like making things and a diorama is fine by me. Model railways are always a comprise. With few exceptions nothing moves except the trains. The distances involved are very often highly compressed. Why the self-confessed 'moaner' bothered to write a letter and why it was published is beyond me. He should get on with his doubtless highly prototypical N gauge Japanese shunting layout.

• Like 5

maybe he's got a cob on cos everyone walks past his prototypical japanese shunting layout ....

I've written to RM once I think - I got irritated  with a piece in " talking points " - " we have  a responsibility to get things right !"

I'm like " nah ". i'm a grown adult playing with trains that's all . 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gilbert said:

You're very kind Rob 

I think - on reflection I fundamentally did not like the statement "that shunting layouts should follow the 1926 Guidelines relating to propelling moves or have a loop allowing a train to be drawn in, shunted and then move on".  I was thinking of an oval with cheeky little J70s next.....bummer...

Hi Chris, 

PMB was totally absorbing to operate In many ways. Above all it was fun but not without a few mental gymnastics when trying to get the wagons in order as per the card system. 

We all get different things out of our hobby, mainly because we all WANT different things out of our hobby. 

It's this compulsion that some have to impose their way of doing things on others that I find increasingly frustrating. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I wouldn't worry about it Chris, I haven't seen the letter but at the end of the day it is your layout to operate as you want. I am all for feedback as without it we will never improve what we achieve in life but that has to be balanced against does the giver have a clue about what they are saying. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I note in the latest RM letters page you have got your response printed, Chris, along with some support. :yes:  :good:

I did  - thank you- I got the impression I would not.

Each to their own I suppose...I remain satisfied with my own efforts...so far...

C

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

As somebody who presently has not one but two layouts under construction, both of which have no run round loops and require everything to be shunted with a pilot loco, you have my full support!

It is a lovely layout and there are more than enough real locations where such arrangements existed to make any criticism pretty much invalid.

The problem with model railways is that there are always people who will look at what you do and try to pick fault with it.

It is a pretty tall order to build a small layout., with a handful of points and sidings, that is interesting to operate. To me, you have achieved exactly that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

As somebody who presently has not one but two layouts under construction, both of which have no run round loops and require everything to be shunted with a pilot loco, you have my full support!

It is a lovely layout and there are more than enough real locations where such arrangements existed to make any criticism pretty much invalid.

The problem with model railways is that there are always people who will look at what you do and try to pick fault with it.

It is a pretty tall order to build a small layout., with a handful of points and sidings, that is interesting to operate. To me, you have achieved exactly that.

Thanks - your comments are very much appreciated. I don't set out to fail but others  clearly think I do!

Chris Hopper

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The person criticising clearly doesn't appreciate the fact that there were a fair few prototypical examples of propelling in this manner.

The Marsh branch at Parkend was one such example (although only a few hundred yards and not all trains were propelled) and Dyserth (North Wales, 2.75 miles from the main line) was another. Dyserth had no run round loop and there are photos of a Class 24 working the branch in the late 1960s in 'British Railways, the first 25 years, Volume 11'.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Chris, 

I read your response in the magazine aisle in Tesco whilst awaiting the Memsahib who was selecting carrots. 

Very measured and nice to see some support. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening Chris, 

I read your response in the magazine aisle in Tesco whilst awaiting the Memsahib who was selecting carrots. 

Very measured and nice to see some support. 

Rob. 

I presume she prefers the ugly miss shapen ones....just saying...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The person criticising clearly doesn't appreciate the fact that there were a fair few prototypical examples of propelling in this manner.

The Marsh branch at Parkend was one such example (although only a few hundred yards and not all trains were propelled) and Dyserth (North Wales, 2.75 miles from the main line) was another. Dyserth had no run round loop and there are photos of a Class 24 working the branch in the late 1960s in 'British Railways, the first 25 years, Volume 11'.

On reflection - it was not so much the criticism that bothered me but the dogmatic way it was put over...we are a broad church in this hobby..

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just returned from a week at Missenden. I took the opportunity to do some weathering for myself for PMB.....although I do note that this selection is more South Wales than North...

52278369313_edea07c6fe_z.jpg

52280528676_3785039258_z.jpg

52274059071_daa143a59a_z.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After SWAG 2022 I was asked for a few words about PMB to accompany some photos taken on the day by Phil Parker.

I was pleased to get a message from one of the operating team today to say that the article was in the December edition of BRM ....Digital edition available now....

Chris H

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Really enjoyed the article, nicely complemented the previous one in Railway Modeller. Good set of photos too from Mr. P. Still one of my favorites here.

Any possibility of restoring photos earlier in the thread?

Always interesting trying avoid repetition etc....

Good point - I shall look into it when I've got a bit of time

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pretty certain that this is now three layouts from this year's SWAG that have now featured in this year's issues of BRM............

Perhaps suggests the.....ahem, cough....."high standard" of layouts on the day.................

Just saying.....

Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Really enjoyed the article, nicely complemented the previous one in Railway Modeller. Good set of photos too from Mr. P. Still one of my favorites here.

Any possibility of restoring photos earlier in the thread?

Its proving a little tricky - I've added this link to my Album as a stopgap.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103471893@N02/albums/72157710010775166/with/48404108867/

• Like 2

• Gilbert changed the title to Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Enjoyed the article in BRM, it's always good to see pictures of your work and the photo's certainly do it justice.

I'm doing my first exhibition next year and taking a small inglenook so I'm glad to hear Robs comments about how absorbing it can be using the card system, I'll have to have a practice! 

Congratulations on a fine layout, love the pics in the album too 👍

Edited by sb67
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1