• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

What do you mean?

You're asking me ?!?

Sib-Snoops had posted a comment that made no logical sense, in that it said something like "you're better of ballasting the track first because it's then easier to adjust if there is a problem" - which I read and couldn't quite get my head around.

The amended and current version is much more lucid, hence my 'like'.

I will now continue with fighting with SQL and rogue treatment rows.

Edit:

Or did you mean about there being no sense on this thread.  In which case I plead absolutely not guilty.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Of course, you could go completely out on a limb and run some trains?

That, with a cup of coffee and a square of dark chocolate, is my cure when trying to decide which construction job to start next!

Trouble is , usually 10 minutes turns into 30, turns into an hour or more......

Oh well, never mind , it is after all a hobby, and supposed to take our minds off of the virus and all the other nasties of daily life.

Take care All!! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I'm assuming because you make electrical changes to the points before you lay them, there is no need to mask the blades or little tabs.

I wondered if you'd notice.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Of course, you could go completely out on a limb and run some trains?

That, with a cup of coffee and a square of dark chocolate, is my cure when trying to decide which construction job to start next!

Trouble is , usually 10 minutes turns into 30, turns into an hour or more......

Oh well, never mind , it is after all a hobby, and supposed to take our minds off of the virus and all the other nasties of daily life.

Take care All!! 

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't run any trains for a while, Paul, so tomorrow I'll be rectifying that. It'll take some time to remove all of the obstacles so probably won't be until the afternoon.

I might take some video clips as well, if I remember.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Stubby47 said:

Professional software tester by trade, paid to spot errors... 

In my day it was called Quality Assurance Testing. IBM mainframes and punch card input. Once all your cards were coded on the approved forms, you had to take them to the punch pool for the girls to get to work on them. Some people only coded one sheet at a time instead of creating a full job deck. They had to go to the punch pool more often that way.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Either you haven't been reading this topic as regularly as you should, or you're simply not paying attention. Or both, of course. You need to start at page 1 and assimilate eveything that has been going on as you make your way through the story. . . . . . . . .

I'm surprised at @Stubby47 for clicking 'Like'. He is usually much more inventive than that. It may be, of course, that his memory is not quite what it used to be.

I've probably consumed several intoxicating beverages since page 1 and not having seen any pictures of trains running has resulted in a senior moment.

That's my excuse, for now or until I can think of a better one.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Either you haven't been reading this topic as regularly as you should, or you're simply not paying attention. Or both, of course. You need to start at page 1 and assimilate eveything that has been going on as you make your way through the story. . . . . . . . .

I'm surprised at @Stubby47 for clicking 'Like'. He is usually much more inventive than that. It may be, of course, that his memory is not quite what it used to be.

I've probably consumed several intoxicating beverages since page 1 and not having seen any pictures of trains running has resulted in a senior moment.

That's my excuse, for now or until I can think of a better one.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, figworthy said:

I thought that was what the customers were for.

Adrian

As we write medical software, I'd rather not let the patients find out the hard way that our software was incorrect...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Windows, fan, masking and mask at the ready.

P1030814.JPG.e7dc63ef48e332a993c3d00cd2ec08dd.JPG

Interesting variation on the traditional 

'Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I see that you were better prepared for the fire extinguisher effect of Railmatch rattle can sleeper grime than I was! 

I've used it before on a portable layout, but that was done outside. Easton is not quite portable (!) so outside was not an option. All open windows and door plus two fans and a spray booth were as close as I could get. It is much quicker than an airbrush!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

It's great stuff, they just need to source decent nozzles for their cans. I robbed one at random from a paint can and the paint behaved perfectly.

Not before I had managed to paint everything else within a three foot radius of course.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It has been an interesting morning.

There is much to learn once you start taking video clips rather than ordinary still photographs. One of them is getting the point of focus right. Another is that you should check the results of each clip before progressing to the next. Nonetheless, I said I'd produce some footage of trains running on the newly painted track, so here you are:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUml703zLqJ9MLwDqmQMWLQEToZ-uuFXJ

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's great stuff, they just need to source decent nozzles for their cans. I robbed one at random from a paint can and the paint behaved perfectly.

The ones I bought yesterday have a different nozzle than the ones I used years ago. You can (and I did) buy additional nozzles if you wish. As it turned out, I soaked my nozzle in white spirit as soon as I'd used it and it remained as clear as a clear thing on a clear day.

I also noticed several months ago that they have changed the design of lid used on their glass pots of enamel. The new type is a vast improvement over the old, mainly because the paper insert in the lid has been replaced by a polythene one, so it no longer threatens to stick to dried paint and thus render itself totally useless.

P1030828.JPG.55e4df5a8e664afb13b1c4ffa03bb001.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

For the first 45 secs of that video I thought the loco is very loud for one that's not moving.

Then a diesel appears, though from the sound I was expecting a steam loco.

Confused of Cornwall.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2