Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

5 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Maybe at that rate they will keep on time? 😉

Yep.

Trains will arrive on Monday and on Friday.

How more accurate do you want it?

...and should we care?

It's only for the elites............apparently !   😇

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

An interesting drone video, showing work in progress from Euston, out to South Ruislip and on, to the start of the Colne Valley viaduct.

(Note: The TBM’s at West Ruislip can be seen in position, ready to launch)

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

FWIW The Sunday Times had a paragraph in a larger piece about the state of the public finances which said the new PM was "likely" to cancel some of the "later" stages of HS2 in favour of (presumably cheaper) upgrades to the northern east-west corridors.  Not entirely surprising if true given the current clamour for massive state intervention to try and offset the effects of increased energy costs.  

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, JeffP said:

At first glance the plans for BCS looked refreshingly light and airy.

Zooming in, I see the planners have done the usual: the platforms are virtually underground.😒

The tracks are underneath the upper concourse deck, but the platforms are mostly open to the train hall, above, so natural light should reach them.

The platform level will actually be above the ground floor, along the length of the station, except at the Moor St. Queensway forecourt end, where the ground rises.

Passengers will descend from the concourse to platform level at Curzon St., whereas in the proposed Manchester Piccadilly HS2 station, passengers will go upstairs to the platforms..

This is an image showing the far end of Curzon St., close to the old historic station building.

It illustrates the local sloping topography.

HS2-VL-10588-HS2_200114_Birmingham-Curzo

The main entrance at the Moor St. end.....

HS2%20station%20(1).jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

22 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

I note the video claiming that carrying away spoil by rain is "removing" lots of lorries from London's roads. I see a big difference between "removing" and "not adding". The spoil lorries were not there to be removed.

Indeed, a poor choice of words.

Work is occurring further north too, on my way home from a course I thought I'd get some WCML action. Imagine my surprise expecting green fields to find this worksite! Location is Huddlesford near Lichfield. Pics all linked from my Flickr, click for the captions. Hopefully they tidy up the mess when they're done.

90029 + 90039 4M25 Huddlesford

66606 6Z93 Huddlesford

88002 4S44 Huddlesford

Jo

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, JeffP said:

At first glance the plans for BCS looked refreshingly light and airy.

Zooming in, I see the planners have done the usual: the platforms are virtually underground.😒

The layout is partly dictated by the topography, the present centre of Birmingham is on a noticeable hill, rising from the East/North East and the River Rea, from where HS2 approaches.

If you make the platforms street level ( à la Kings Cross) you will have an inordinately high approach viaduct over the river valley.

The planners, no doubt want a street level concourse, which will inevitably be higher than the tracks.

Compare to next door Moor Street station which is on a slope in two directions and does have a very  high viaduct , but the through platforms are still below street level and go straight into a tunnel to Snow Hill

image.png.09cd86639808c1e413905320a3db0c41.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I do like looking at architect's impressions of final designs.  Obviously the figures included are from an image library in the software, but it does look odd that no-one appears to have more than the smallest piece of hand luggage.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I do like looking at architect's impressions of final designs.  Obviously the figures included are from an image library in the software, but it does look odd that no-one appears to have more than the smallest piece of hand luggage.

Probably only been there for the inevitable "shopping experience", where the coffee shops and gift emporia take precedence over the railway related operations.🙂

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The tunnelling progress was updated today. As of the 8th September Florence has reached 6,209m and Cecilia 6,134. Florence only managed 11m in 8 days so I suspect she has now got through the vent shaft.  Cecilia though managed 250 metres an astonishing 31 metres per day. That's double the design speed.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not wishing to indulge in the popular sport of BBC-bashing, but I think this story belongs under Business or Politics on the BBC website, not Science & Environment (which is an incidental part of the story):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61721267

It's certainly quite an injunction, but will it stop the ardent protestors?  Unlikely, they'll just consider themselves even bigger martyrs now, after all, it's perfectly OK to break the law if you really believe in something.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Not wishing to indulge in the popular sport of BBC-bashing, but I think this story belongs under Business or Politics on the BBC website, not Science & Environment (which is an incidental part of the story):

It's certainly quite an injunction, but will it stop the ardent protestors?  Unlikely, they'll just consider themselves even bigger martyrs now, after all, it's perfectly OK to break the law if you really believe in something.

If the effect of the injunction is as explained earlier, going on to HS2 sites without authorisation will constitute a Contempt of Court.

That's rather a different ball game to what has been the case up to now, resulting in possible indefinite detention until the individual undertakes not to repeat the action.

I think I can guess what happens if such an undertaking is made and then broken...

John

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

There is of course a world of difference between protest on the one hand, and trespass, obstruction and criminal damage on the other.  Too many "protests" have crossed that line in recent times including a number of those against HS2.  In my view there can be no complaints when those going about their lawful business decide enough is enough.   

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A very far reaching judgment.And I would imagine that this is headed for the Supreme Court. Environmentalists aren’t going to let this one rest when apparently they have concerns for the liability of those going about legitimate work on HS2 sites. Legal fees must be astronomical.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Oh dear, it doesn't quite fit.🙂

Seriously what is that gap for?

I might be drastically incorrect here, but surely there has to be a gap else how would you insert the last piece, it needs to slot in not be forced into a gap with no space to manoeuvre.

Are the two halves held apart under pressure until all the elements have been dropped and the final act will be to ease the pressure and them meet.

• Agree 1