• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i did notice the airline industry survived relatively unscathed yesterday, a few delays a few go arounds, but the job didnt fall apart and stop

Obviously not keeping up with the news

Several airports closed for a while and there were lots of diversions.

There was a video of a plane trying to land at one of the open airports and it got as close as one wheel on the tarmac when the pilot decide to abort the landing, it was moving about in the air quite a bit, hardly condusive to a soft landing.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

On 22/01/2024 at 11:37, melmerby said:

90mph winds over Shap (several lorries blown over on M6) , other peoples debri getting tangled in the OHE.

What would you suggest?

Ban people from having any loose material withim 5 miles of the railway?

Stick it all in a tunnel 🤪

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Ermm! Sorry that's not quite true. Agreed that it may not matter at altitude when flying at top speed but when slowing down to land at around 140 mph, having that sort of wind either in your face or at greater than 20degrees to the longitudinal axis of your aircraft is not something you or your passengers really want to experience. Perhaps you might want to read up on the concept of 'crosswind component'. 

I don't doubt it's uncomfortable but after many years working with military aviators and aerospace engineers, I have full confidence that the aircraft can withstand these conditions and when a civilian pilot abandons a landing for a go-around, they are far, far inside the boundary of risk that the passengers might think they are close to the edge of. 

By the way, isn't "in your face" exactly where you want the wind to be?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

…..they are far, far inside the boundary of risk…..

I’m not sure what you meant by that, but there should be no element of “risk”, or risk taking.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I’m not sure what you meant by that, but there should be no element of “risk”, or risk taking.

I should have written the "boundaries of acceptable risk".  Flying cannot eliminate risk, but civil airliners are (rightly) operated with huge factors of safety.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, caradoc said:

I was at Glasgow Airport at 2000 on Sunday and there was scarcely a flight operating to or from anywhere; And my wife's plane was diverted to Liverpool, resulting in an eventual arrival in Glasgow at 0530 vice 2050. 

I had better luck.

Trains gave up on my route to lhr, so I took a taxi instead as its well known that trees dont fall on roads.

At LHR my flight to Newark was on time, the inbound aircraft was early.

Out to Newark we had a 102mph headwind !!

i’m now in Boston, having had a 2 hour delay due to a plane going tech, but my flight did turn out a rather pleasant retro jet as the replacement…

United_Airlines_(Continental_Blue_Skyway

I didnt watch the news in fear, as I was busy travelling in it.

anyways back to topic.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

" there should be no element of “risk”, or risk taking"

Sorry, but that is nonsense. There is no such thing as zero risk.

One can as was said reduce risk to a practicable minimum. After that you pout more and more resources in for less and less effect, often virtually none, and can easily create other risks which you have not thought about. The classic example in our field is "safety" requirements pushing up the cost of train travel so that people travel by much more dangerous roads. 

That does not mean that one should intentionally take known risks.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

16 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Stick it all in a tunnel

That really is out of the HS2 handbook - but a more-or-less straight 10 mile tunnel from just north of Kendal to just south of Shap village would make a pile of sense - allow high speed running with no hill to climb as well as shaving a couple of miles from the overall journey by avoiding the long deviation north east of Kendal. Resilience to adverse weather another bonus.

Something similar should be done for Beattock.

Let's stop living with the constraints of 19th century engineering.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I should have written the "boundaries of acceptable risk".  Flying cannot eliminate risk, but civil airliners are (rightly) operated with huge factors of safety.

Indeed, just getting off the ground involves a level of risk, but in terms of operation, it would be more appropriate to use the term "boundaries of safety".

i.e. never crossing those boundaries.

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

" there should be no element of “risk”, or risk taking"

Sorry, but that is nonsense. There is no such thing as zero risk.

One can as was said reduce risk to a practicable minimum. After that you pout more and more resources in for less and less effect.......

I think you are misunderstanding my original response.

I wanted to clear up the point that there was no suggestion of risk taking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

That really is out of the HS2 handbook - but a more-or-less straight 10 mile tunnel from just north of Kendal to just south of Shap village would make a pile of sense - allow high speed running with no hill to climb as well as shaving a couple of miles from the overall journey by avoiding the long deviation north east of Kendal. Resilience to adverse weather another bonus.

Yours, Mike.

Wasn't that the long term vision for improvements to the WCML, north of the Golborne link?

A mixture of route straightening and realignments, loop sections, quad tracking, bypasses and tunnelling.

All wishful thinking from various policy and strategy documents, but nothing resembling a concrete, unified project.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Apparently, today (24th January) marks the official commencement of the building of Birmingham's Curzon St. HS2 station.

This is separate from the work to build the approach viaducts, which is well advanced; and separate from the previous years of site clearance, diversion and removal of utilities etc, etc. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Yours, Mike.

That was the original plan. Go up the Kent Valley then tunnel through to beyond Shap.  However there wasn't enough money so a 'temporary' line via Tebay and Shap was built. 

Jamie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Yours, Mike.

Its a nice idea, but  I'm not sure it would, coming out just to the south of Shap village would be pretty close to Shap Summit anyway so you wouldn't be cutting much off the top of the climb on either side and to do that would take a much longer and costlier tunnel. I really cant see the expense of miles of tunnel being spent in that area and could you imagine the environment protestors beating their gums?

Climbs at Shap and Beattock may be much less of an issue these days anyway with electric power on tap and regenerative braking possible

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

FYI:

Radio 4 PM this evening (Wednesday 24/01/2024) at around 1725, Evan Davis did a piece on how cancelling HS2 phase 2 will throttle rail freight capacity bringing this news to a wider audience.  Now up on BBC sounds here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vmcn at around 20m15s into recording.

#daventry international rail freight terminal

#MaggieSimpson https://rfg.org.uk/team/maggie-simpson-obe/

#RobinWoodbridge https://www.prologis.co.uk/who-we-are/our-people/robin-woodbridge

#TimShoverller https://www.freightliner.co.uk/about-us/our-executive-team/

Edited by palmsticks
update
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2024 at 22:38, adb968008 said:

Out to Newark we had a 102mph headwind !!

Some years ago we flew overnight from Halifax N.S. to Gatwick. We had the full force of the Jet Stream behind us and arrived over an hour early.

Peeved the night shift in Immigration. Somebody had to go to wake them up to let us into the country. Baggage were none too happy either as we were supposed to arrive just as the day shift were about  book on.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Some years agowe flew overnight from Halifax N.S. to Gatwick. We had the full force of the Jet Stream behind us and arrived over an hour early.

Peeved the night shift in Immigration. Somebody had to go to wake them up to let us into the country. Baggage were none too happy either as we were supposed to arrive just as the day shift were about  book on.

I had the opposite experience just before Christmas. My flight from Dubai was the last to arrive before the overnight curfew, so from deplaning to the car park took less than 20 minutes because everyone on duty wanted to go home.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Yours, Mike.

Check the elevations, the railway climbs from near sea level to 300' absl at Oxenholme to 450' at Mealsgate* where the A685 crosses the railway, 600' at Tebay, to 900' a mile south of Shap village

It's a continuous climb all the way, just somewhat steeper from Tebay to Shap (1 in 75)

Modern passenger trains are speed restricted by the twisty nature of the line from Lancaster to the Lune valley and from Shap to Penrith, not the gradient.

* Just "North" of Kendal

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, palmsticks said:

FYI:

Radio 4 PM this evening (Wednesday 24/01/2024) at around 1725, Evan Davis did a piece on how cancelling HS2 phase 2 will throttle rail freight capacity bringing this news to a wider audience.  Now up on BBC sounds here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vmcn at around 20m15s into recording.

#daventry international rail freight terminal

#MaggieSimpson https://rfg.org.uk/team/maggie-simpson-obe/

#RobinWoodbridge https://www.prologis.co.uk/who-we-are/our-people/robin-woodbridge

#TimShoverller https://www.freightliner.co.uk/about-us/our-executive-team/

Was just coming on to mention that. No comment from the presenter, just let the railfreight bosses tell it like it is with the cancellation. They made the point very well about the "Stafford Bypass" being crucial to unlocking capacity.

Apart from anything else there has (seemingly) been a lot of investment at Daventry in anticipation of HS2 being built. Wasted money? M.S. & L.?

Edited by 62613
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

West Midlands Mayor Andy Street officiated at the start of the Curzon Street station build yesterday and commented that they want the HS2 leg from Birmingham to Manchester to go ahead.

He said he was meeting the Transport Secretary next week to discuss ways of financing it. This would include the possibility of some private finance.

He also said that the future arrival of HS2 in Birmingham was already generating considerable amounts of private investment on that side of the city.

• Like 7