• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

It makes it look like a five minute job!

Is there a market for second hand bridges? The GCR northern extension perhaps?

Jonathan 

Definitely a market for 'pre-owned' bridges - the GCR have already had one from Reading which they will be (?already are?) re-using as part of their getting north of Loughborough works

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

30 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Definitely a market for 'pre-owned' bridges - the GCR have already had one from Reading which they will be (?already are?) re-using as part of their getting north of Loughborough works

Nothing new there the one on the flyover at Tyne Yard was a recovered one and likewise the one over the A1 on the Richmond branch was and shared the abutments with a road bridge. It was only demolished about four years ago when the A1 was upgraded to three lane motorway however the central pilar is still in use for the replacement road bridge.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

The Corris will need one soon, but perhaps this is a little large for them .....

I was going to suggest Peak Rail, for bridging the A6 at Rowsley.....

I love the innovative use of polystyrene sheet-block to protect the permanent way (see the three workers carrying it - it ain't concrete!).  Presumably the roadway is an mat unrolled over it while the work takes place?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/05/2022 at 21:57, Northmoor said:

I was going to suggest Peak Rail, for bridging the A6 at Rowsley.....

I love the innovative use of polystyrene sheet-block to protect the permanent way (see the three workers carrying it - it ain't concrete!).  Presumably the roadway is an mat unrolled over it while the work takes place?

A few years ago an embankment near Warrington was built with expanded polystyrene blocks and is now carrying trains.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 1

Right that fits on there.. A morning of test loadings, to enable me to put together a briefing package for the delivery team, so everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet.. Getting closer still a few miracles to get lined up before we get going

IMG-20220503-WA0003.jpg

• Like 12

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

A ew years ago an embankment nearcWarrington was built with expanded polystyrene blocksvand is now carrying trains.

Jamie

So was the new embankment to the overpass at Nuneaton.  It is also used for platforms.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The recently electrified Liverpool & Manchester railway still today "floats" on a bed of reeds over Chat Moss, built by George Stephenson. They had to pile very deep for the OHL masts, and not damage the original bed.

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/electrifying-liverpool-manchester/

Scroll down to Chat Moss Challenge.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Chilterns Tunnels.

Florence and Cecilia have now tunnelled a quarter of the way.

Florence passed 4km a few days ago.

Cecilia is a short way behind.

Meanwhile, at Long Itchington Wood, Dorothy has passed the half way mark.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Further to Ron's report above.  I've just got back from a trip to the UK. Unfortunately I didn't cross any HS2 works but i have had chance to to update my graphs of the tunnelling progress.

1672677480_HS2tunnels060522.png.d7e003575004263d330cc5792d1074c6.pngAll three are doing well.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The tunnelling progress for Cecilia and Florence in the Chiltern tunnels was updated on 10th May.  They are both over the 4 km mark out of 16 and in the last 6 days have both dug 160 metres of tunnel which is 26 metres per day.  The target progress was only 15m per day so they are cracking on.

Jamie

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

There has been a fire in one of the tunnels

It appears one of the transporter vehicles, used to carry workers and materials to and from the TBM’s, caught fire a short way inside the down line tunnel.

Everyone safely evacuated and the fire service attended.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

38 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Would this have been a battery fire?

Good question.

No information has been released yet.

There are different types of vehicle used.

There’s a personnel carrier type, which might be the vehicle involved in the fire.

Some of these vehicles can be seen in this video……

• Like 3