Oxford Rail announce OO gauge BR Pilchard wagon

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Would that be the TOP's or non TOP's version?

Hattons got a further supply of the model already released (TOPS coded YCO) - they also rang me up to ask if I wanted to reinstate the order they'd had to reduce.   

We're still waiting for the pre-TOPS version (which Hattons say is sold out on pre-order)...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Broadway Clive said:

I'm confused why they are described as 'black' by Oxford Diecast when they are grey. Does anyone know if they will produce a black version later?

I don't think Oxford Rail have updated their description - they were originally going to be black, but there is an interesting discussion earlier in this thread as to why they shouldn't be (and what colour(s) they should be), and a post from @Phil Parker on Page 2 giving info on the rationale behind the change.  

No idea if they'll ever do a black version, but based on the info in this thread, I'm not sure they should...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Maybe not, but it seems there would be case for doing it in unpainted wood.

Agreed, but as  @Phil Parker indicated, unpainted wood could look more desert sand if done "new".  Whilst @Jenny Emily and @cctransuk have shown how something authentic-looking can be arrived at, I'm not sure Oxford Rail could produce something similar without significantly impacting the price point...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Whilst @Jenny Emily and @cctransuk have shown how something authentic-looking can be arrived at, I'm not sure Oxford Rail could produce something similar without significantly impacting the price point...

Factory produced weathering is still better than some of us would do, even though it's inferior to what is achievable on a one-off basis by some skilled modellers.  Many of those who tackle weathering would repaint into any livery they wanted anyway.  Not all of us buy RTR models with the intention of immediately modifying the paint finish, and the collectors probably even see that as devaluing their investment.  All I'm saying is thst I think there would be some demand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Agreed, but as  @Phil Parker indicated, unpainted wood could look more desert sand if done "new".  Whilst @Jenny Emily and @cctransuk have shown how something authentic-looking can be arrived at, I'm not sure Oxford Rail could produce something similar without significantly impacting the price point...

I am not by any measure a practiced weatherer - my model was simply overpainted with a generic buff colour.

When dry, the ironwork was picked out with BR wagon grey.

Again, when dry, some streaks of cream were applied along the grain of the planks.

When the streaks were only half dry, all was blended together with a very thin wash of matt black, brushing along the grain.

Crude, nothing at all skilled, but more than good enough for me to represent not too weathered wooden planks.

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Been interfering with my Pilchard, they can't touch you for it, easily EM'ed with DC concepts 10.5mm wheels, a tad oversize, but anything for the easy life.

To get to the back of the coupling to fit 3 links the chassis tray has to come out, but be careful, it doesn't clear the angle iron cross support which breaks, (how do I know?), so they need to be removed first.

Just one teensy weensy issue, as viewed, the right hand brake wheel has off-on wording and it should be on-off, I can't find any replacement lettering in my artillery of transfers, is anyone aware of any?

All in all a cracking wagon at the price, if this is in the vanguard of reasonably priced, well modelled ballast wagons from OxfordRail then count me in, I await with anticipation.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have emailed to say that they are expecting the pre-TOPS version within the next week, but (quelle surprise) they are getting short-supplied with this one as well, so have reduced my pre-order from 2 to 1.  As with the TOPS version they are actively seeking further supplies, and if successful will offer to reinstate my order for a second one...  

At this rate, my mixed rake of 4 (2 each of TOPS and pre-TOPS) will have been ordered together but dispatched individually (and probably one short).  Maybe I ought to consider using their trunk service...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...