Oxford Rail announce OO gauge BR Pilchard wagon

MGR Hooper!

6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Yesterday I received my solitary Pilchard from Hattons.

2DA1D2AF-2A46-4467-8D0A-90CE4B352579.jpeg.0775f5f9d0062a7415514afb028d266e.jpeg

I was surprised how large the box was - twice the size of the wagon.

Cheers

Darius

That looks distressing.... or rather, looks like it needs a bit of distressing applied to it :-)

It looks like a really nice wagon, interesting and just different. I'm looking forward to mine arriving, though that will be at least another week while it makes its way across the Atlantic.

Definitely a thumbs up to the Oxford folks. It will be interesting though to see what the price tag is for the next batch though...

2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I suspect it was seen as cheaper to use an existing box design than develop a new one.

CJI.

Any such savings offset by increased transport costs though?

Anyway, my point was really wishful thinking that they had done a Dolphin or a Sturgeon.  These would perhaps have had wider appeal, because of their greater numbers and distribution.  At leat I think so for the Dolphin (I did do a quick internet search on the Dolphin to try and find out how many were made or what their distribution was but without success).  Nice as the Pilchard looks I doubt I’ll be getting one because of their limited distribution.  

The choice of prototypes by Oxford seems odd, but no doubt they know their market.  However, I can see the Pilchard being chosen by both them and purchasers as something “different” or “cute”.  Perhaps the length of the Dolphin or Sturgeon was potentially problematic?

Just idle thoughts!

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies, I mean are the wheels of the correct diameter and face profile and the axles are 2mm by 26mm long?

Mike.

0129F2A8-8099-4ABE-9AE7-8499CE4EE79D.jpeg.ca6c284197a41319bf4e68185c2e669f.jpeg

Wheel Diameter = 10mm

Axle Diameter = 2mm

Axle Length = 26mm pinpoint to pinpoint 

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bought 3 direct from Oxford because they sent me a great bargain. I can't believe what you get for the price I paid! I was expecting the couplings to stick out too far, a common thing on many previous Oxford releases but these are not too bad. However I saw the 3 link coupling with instanter and quickly removed the couplings and used them instead (I have gentle curves) I liked the short rake so much I've bought another 6 from Rails! I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether these wagons are accurate to the original or not, but I think they look great for a great price.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, 37501 said:

Looking forward to my one arriving.

With the size of the box, though, the wife will think that I have bought another locomotive….

True, but next time you bring in a little miracle from accubachorljan, you can convincingly pretend, "oh just another dinky little engineers wagon my love" :secret_mini:

• Funny 1

17 minutes ago, slow8dirty said:

True, but next time you bring in a little miracle from accubachorljan, you can convincingly pretend, "oh just another dinky little engineers wagon my love" :secret_mini:

That’s good thinking. Might allow me to get my 2 Accurascale 37s in under the radar.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

I bought 3 direct from Oxford because they sent me a great bargain. I can't believe what you get for the price I paid! I was expecting the couplings to stick out too far, a common thing on many previous Oxford releases but these are not too bad. However I saw the 3 link coupling with instanter and quickly removed the couplings and used them instead (I have gentle curves) I liked the short rake so much I've bought another 6 from Rails! I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether these wagons are accurate to the original or not, but I think they look great for a great price.

You've now got 18% of the entire prototypical build, not far to go for 100%!!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You've now got 18% of the entire prototypical build, not far to go for 100%!!

Mike.

Im really supprised Oxford have modeled such a rare wagon. However they are sort of the perfect thing for a bit of verity in your rolling stock. 9 is a bit silly really but at the price I've paid, who could say no? 

Edited by peteskitchen
Tidy up
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

Im really supprised Oxford have modeled such a rare wagon. However they are sort of the perfect thing for a bit of verity in your rolling stock. 9 is a bit silly really but at the price I've paid, who could say no? 

Exactly, if Hornby or Bachmann did these they'd be 40 quid plus I reckon, so a couple of quirky wagons for 15 quid a pop and I couldn't resist. 

Derails are holding my Pilchard until the second one arrives. sounds a bit like something Nighthawk would say on 'allo 'allo.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 27/01/2022 at 19:19, 26power said:

At leat I think so for the Dolphin (I did do a quick internet search on the Dolphin to try and find out how many were made or what their distribution was but without success). 

BR had 90 Dolphin and the LNER had over 100 to the same dimensions. BR ones were mostly new to the Eastern with ten to Scotland.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20220130_115139_003.jpg.53fdef1ef359151bf5a039e4ae82e4d1.jpg

20220130_115159.jpg.0e1f6f6d41139d29eaadc2be576231e1.jpg

This is how I visualise the true appearance of a PILCHARD after a few weeks / months in service; dirty, unpainted wood; grey painted body ironwork; rusting steel floor plates and black painted chassis / ends.

John Isherwood.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 30/01/2022 at 15:17, Max Legroom said:

I couldn’t resist one of these at the price even though I don’t model the ER. Should be a lot of fun weathering and distressing!

Two were allocated to Guide Bridge when new, Great Central hence the allocation and one made it to Woodham’s at Barry for disposal!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/01/2022 at 20:16, cctransuk said:

20220130_115139_003.jpg.53fdef1ef359151bf5a039e4ae82e4d1.jpg

20220130_115159.jpg.0e1f6f6d41139d29eaadc2be576231e1.jpg

This is how I visualise the true appearance of a PILCHARD after a few weeks / months in service; dirty, unpainted wood; grey painted body ironwork; rusting steel floor plates and black painted chassis / ends.

John Isherwood.

Very nice John, I will probably try something similar with mine, (depending how many of my Hattons order arrive).

Will you be releasing the transfers as a sheet in your range?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

36 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Will you be releasing the transfers as a sheet in your range?

It's not quite as easy as that, I'm afraid.

The smallest sheet that I can print for general release is A6 (210 x 148.5mm.); I couldn't fill a sheet with PILCHARD transfers!

The only way forward would be to produce a sheet covering the Oxford wagon range - in the same way that I cover the Parkside / Peco and Cambrian ranges.

That said, I am very busy with my own modelling, so I can't see me making any major additions to my range in the short-term.

Sorry,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Friendly/supportive 2