Submarine transported by train

Recently visited the Scottish submarine centre in Helensburgh. They have an X51 submarine HMS stickleback. It was built at Barrow in Furness in 1951 and was transported to Faslane on the clyde by train. 

I've found this photo not sure if it's the same boat or not. But could anyone identify the type of wagon? 

Additionally if anyone has any other photos or more information on the working of the train I would be very interested. I'm thinking it would make for a very unusual model.

20200305_180226.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some of the original X craft were built and tested in Huddersfield. The design was produced in Barrow but the shipyard didn't have the capacity to build them. Unfortunately due to the special ops use they would not have been photographed.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

The X51 was a post war submarine and (according to Wikipedia) was sold to the Swedish Navy in 1958.  The photo of the sub on a railway wagon could have been taken in Sweden.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The X51 was a post war submarine and (according to Wikipedia) was sold to the Swedish Navy in 1958.  The photo of the sub on a railway wagon could have been taken in Sweden.

Cheers

Darius

That does look like X51:

X51_Stickleback_duxford.JPG

35 minutes ago, TomJ said:

How do you test a submarine in Huddersfield? The canal’s not very deep 

Can't resist!

First you put the plug in, then whilst the taps are running add matey bubble bath, when full clime in and test your submarine to your harts content !

Dosn't just apply to Huddersfield 

mind you its a wonder. What you learn about when railway modelling 

Edited by Graham456
  • Funny 2

It may be worth noting that the cranes in the background appear to be the horsehead type which, according to the Dockside Cranes thread elsewhere on RMWeb, was/is far more common in mainland Europe than in the UK. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Lilliput made a German Seehund  minisub on a wagon .it had a conning tower so different in most details from the sub in the photo.From memory the crew needed vast quantities  of Pervitin to attempt to  go to sea in them .It didnt end well .

I had been told that they had tested them in the canal next to what is the university but i always took it with a pinch of salt. Also didn't think anyone would have allowed a camera any where near the project.

Marc

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 25901 said:

One under test in the canal 

9D275328-03AE-4513-80AB-5F66717B3B52.jpeg

I don't think that that is Huddersfield.

I've just done a fly over on Google Earth, and the locks aren't that close together, and there isn't housing that close to the canal.

I'd also heard the tale of them being tested in the canal basin at Huddersfield, but I wouldn't have thought it was that deep, deep enough to fully submerge, but not much more.

Adrian