The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

9 hours ago, Nick C said:

I don't get the current obsession with anti-bacterial soaps and cleansers. The clue's in the name...

I suppose if you  get laid low with a viral infection, you wouldn't want an opportunistic bacterial infection adding to your problems.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

DLR is similar, but the ‘train captain’ minglescwith the passengers, rather than being in the cab.

And apparently the train captain can (or could) command the train to shut the doors and start off from outside the train with obvious comic potential...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/01/dlr_train_leaves_staff_on_platform/

9 hours ago, thirty2a said:

the birthday song will have people panicking in the future 

It's my birthday soon - presumably I'll have to forego blowing out the candles as it's unhygienic and spend all the blowing-out time washing my hands instead.

• RMweb Premium

The trains I use to commute are noticeably quieter, now they are merely busy as opposed to overloaded or crush loaded. Everyone can now get a seat but there aren't many empty seats.

Round our way you can see certain things like big roll and dry food are not as well stocked as usual they still seem to be available and the shops we use seem to have instigated limits on the quantity customers can buy for certain goods. Maybe I am lucky but so far people seem to be reacting much more reasonably than we might think after some of the news reporting.

In our circle of friends and colleagues most are being rather phlegmatic about it all and those getting a bit worked up and panicky are people who see a dire existential threat in everything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

My eldest son has informed me that he has enough toilet rolls to last him until June. 

Is that stockpiling? 

He lives on his own and one roll lasts him about 3 weeks. He bought a pack of 4 yesterday, which is approximately twelve weeks worth. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

4 kandles.jpg

There was a photo floating around twitter the other day of a hardware store window display - featuring four candles, neatly mounted in fork handles, along with some 'O's and a hose...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Too much detail.

Why, are you squeamish? Apologies if I appear insensitive, I guess it's all relative. As a person that's had young children (projectile vomiting etc), dogs (eating horse poo etc) and livestock (pooing everywhere etc), one does get fairly desensitised to bodily output functions.

(Insert wellies-and-shovel icon here)

If that's too much for you, just wait until we get to the inevitable topics with layperson's descriptions of the terminal effects of Coronavirus...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Why, are you squeamish? Apologies if I appear insensitive, I guess it's all relative. As a person that's had young children (projectile vomiting etc), dogs (eating horse poo etc) and livestock (pooing everywhere etc), one does get fairly desensitised to bodily output functions.

(Insert wellies-and-shovel icon here)

If that's too much for you, just wait until we get to the inevitable topics with layperson's descriptions of the terminal effects of Coronavirus...

Exactly, and that gets even more into sharp focus after the visiting mother-i-law with advanced senility has a bout of diarrhoea all over the downstairs toilet, and the wife comes in the living room and invites you to clean it up because she can't face it. 

Mother in law is totally oblivious to what has happened, but did volunteer to get into the shower. 

Old age brings about just as many 'accidents' as childhood. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

Yes, that’s the way I intended it.

If I knew what the various emoticons on my phone meant, I could have included one, but I don’t, so could easily have added a really insulting one accidentally.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

On 08/03/2020 at 18:00, Rivercider said:

I suppose it all depends on circumstances.

The virus might only cause one person to undertake a two week self-isolation.

Imagine though they normally do a two-weekly shop, and also care for an elderly relative who cannot, or would not shop, for themselves in the circumstances, and one or the other of them might contract the virus. Then now they are looking at 2 + 2 + 2 weeks  worth of shopping.

cheers

Exactly that.

We are both of an age, and medical status that puts us at the highest risk. As my wife is also lately out of hospital following 2 months of treatment for a brain abscess and I've 'done my knee', we have been getting our shopping delivered since January. You pay extra for orders under a certain amount and also pay for delivery each time, so we've been placing big orders a couple of times a month. Our latest order, due Sunday, is missing some items which were simply out of stock with our normal supplier, so we bought some long shelf life items to get over the small order charge. We then placed another order with another seller to 'fill the gaps'. In order to avoid their 'small order charge' we bought some more long shelf life items, so we will be well 'stocked up' with long shelf life items when that delivery comes on Monday.

Once infection rates ratchet up we will be self isolating for the peak of the disease, so I expect we'll need to buy in bulk for some time to come.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

If I knew what the various emoticons on my phone meant, I could have included one, but I don’t, so could easily have added a really insulting one accidentally.

I always prefer to use the site specific emojis on the :) button here as I never remember from one message board to the next which can accept phone emojis and which just plain or marked up text. 

On the old site they were a pain to get to on some phones, but even my ancient iPhone can get to them easily since the site upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, that’s the way I intended it.

Don't mention the word 'emoticons' to anyone under 40. I did, and was politely informed that no one calls them that any more. Apparently, they are now 'Emojis'. 

Well that told prehistoric old me. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Old age brings about just as many 'accidents' as childhood. 

Oh doesn't it just.  One of the highlights of my time as a wedding photographer occurred at a wedding at a church the vicar of which was one of the most pompous, egotistical and generally objectionable clerics I ever tangled with (and that's saying something).

The very last guests to arrive were a middle=aged couple who had brought Dad with them, despite Dad being obviously well past his best before and seemingly oblivious to the world around him.  Just before they manoeuvered him through the church door, Dad had An Accident.  Bigtime.  And Dad was not wearing his bike clips ...

The couple did a swift about turn with Dad and got him through the gate at the far end of the path just as the bridal car turned up.  I was there ready for the Bride Arriving snaps, so was able to warn her and her Dad to watch their step before I legged it back up the path, only to meet the vicar on his way out to greet the bride. 

Alas, in my haste, I somehow completely forgot to warn the vicar of the new decoration to his church path, with the result that he walked straight through it, with the hem of his cassock trailing therein.  And to my delight, despite what the bride's father described as a "norrible pong" during the ceremony, Mr Wonderful remained totally oblivious to  it until we got to signing the register, at which point the churchwarden brought him up to speed so he could do a swift wardrobe revision ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

3 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Don't mention the word 'emoticons' to anyone under 40. I did, and was politely informed that no one calls them that any more. Apparently, they are now 'Emojis'. 

The youngsters change referentials frequently to catch out all the aging hipsters....

No matter that WE invented their world!

12 hours ago, sharris said:

I suppose if you  get laid low with a viral infection, you wouldn't want an opportunistic bacterial infection adding to your problems.

That's true but hand sanitisers need to be about 60% alcohol to be really effective on viruses. Apparently common soap is even more effective, expecially with this particular virus.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/11/21173187/coronavirus-covid-19-hand-washing-sanitizer-compared-soap-is-dope

What nobody seems to have mentioned is that the 20 second handwashing thing isn't as I'd assumed about thorougness- though that's obviously important- but it's the time it actually takes the soap to break down the virus which is fatty.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My parents said they were in Lidl, Netherton yesterday, and it had been cleared out of a lot of stuff following that delightfully reassuring speech by the PM about how we're all going to lose lots of our loved ones (but don't panic, blitz spirit and all that, fwah etc).  The cashier said they'd stopped a woman who'd filled her trolly with ALL of the pasta in the shop; when questioned, she snapped that because travel to Italy was closed, no more pasta would be coming out of the country so she was getting in as much as possible.  The staff tried to point out that they don't get their pasta from Italy, but from elsewhere, but to no avail as she just wouldn't listen...

The best explanation I've heard for the loo roll shortage so far is 'one person sneezes, a hundred people around him crap themselves' ;)

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

What nobody seems to have mentioned is that the 20 second handwashing thing isn't as I'd assumed about thorougness- though that's obviously important- but it's the time it actually takes the soap to break down the virus which is fatty.

This is very pertinent (assuming it is true). Whilst the "20 second" advice is very old (I remember a friend telling me their kids were taught at school to wash their hands to happy birthday a couple of years back, long before Corona), the key part is the soap. Until the part the soap played in killing the virus started circulating recently, I had effectively been rinsing my hands for 20 seconds (the soaps probably last 5 seconds under the tap).

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

What happened to smileys then?

• Agree 1

If you want a "reassuring speech" look for the video on BBC News showing the Chief Scientific Adviser giving a press-briefing of the detail behind what the PM said, and look very carefully at the graph he uses, and where on that graph he says we are now. He's calm, measured, and he tells it like it is.

Here it is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51632801

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1