RMweb

Panic buying

57xx

17 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Remembering the day of the week is hard enough (but the bin men came today, which makes it a Thursday).

Ever since the collection procedure changed from the operative taking the bin from where it was kept on the property and restoring it, to the current arrangement of householder places bin(s) at roadside for collection (previous arrangement still applies for disabled and elderly on request) we altered the weekly calendar: Monday, Tuesday, Binday, Thursday, etc.

With the advent of recycling, and after several experiments our council settled on two recycling bins that go out together, and one landfill bin, collected alternate weeks, we now have eight days: Monday, Tuesday, Binday, Thursday,  then Monday, Tuesday, Tipday, Thursday...

(In reality it's Moanday, Pizzanight, Bin/Tip day, Cleanday, Visitday, Offday, Sunday, but I am not going to bore you all with that...)

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Ever since the collection procedure changed from the operative taking the bin from where it was kept on the property and restoring it, to the current arrangement of householder places bin(s) at roadside for collection (previous arrangement still applies for disabled and elderly on request) we altered the weekly calendar: Monday, Tuesday, Binday, Thursday, etc.

With the advent of recycling, and after several experiments our council settled on two recycling bins that go out together, and one landfill bin, collected alternate weeks, we now have eight days: Monday, Tuesday, Binday, Thursday,  then Monday, Tuesday, Tipday, Thursday...

(In reality it's Moanday, Pizzanight, Bin/Tip day, Cleanday, Visitday, Offday, Sunday, but I am not going to bore you all with that...)

Ours is similar - recycling bin or landfill bin on alternate Wednesdays but it's not so easy remembering which is which because we don't have a consistent pattern for the evening meal.   You can hardly expect me to remember what I had to eat last Tuesday evening let alone this Tuesday evening or which colour bin goes out when :help:

• Funny 1

16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

...it's not so easy remembering which is which because we don't have a consistent pattern for the evening meal.   You can hardly expect me to remember what I had to eat last Tuesday evening let alone this Tuesday evening ...

The simple secret is always to eat the same thing that evening! It's our one 'junkfood' a week that we still permit ourselves, ultra quick after the weekly shopping run; and a happy remembrance of an unforgettable large family and friends occasion in sunnee Eetaliaa, which feels of even greater significance at present...

• RMweb Premium

Ours is alternate Tuesdays - Garden Waste for recycling* & Stuff for Landfill bins. Other Tuesday is household recycling bin.

Unfortunately they have stopped the Garden Waste collection.

*The council turns it into compost, which you can buy back!

• RMweb Premium

Where I used to live there were four different bins. I operated on the "wait until the neighbours had put theirs out" principal to remember which. Where I live now I've no idea when the bins are collected, because the access is tricky (can't get a bin lorry up to the house) the bins are a little distance away and I just chuck a bag in whenever I need to. They come up to the house once a fortnight to collect a mixed recycling bag though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Where I used to live there were four different bins. I operated on the "wait until the neighbours had put theirs out" principal to remember which. Where I live now I've no idea when the bins are collected, because the access is tricky (can't get a bin lorry up to the house) the bins are a little distance away and I just chuck a bag in whenever I need to. They come up to the house once a fortnight to collect a mixed recycling bag though.

Info should be on your local councils website - something everyone possibly needs to check for the next couple of weeks as collections are made earlier or later due to Easter.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

We live in flats with big communal bins in 2 flavours, they are emptied towards the end of the week unless it’s a bank holiday, school holiday or any similar event when our route gets dumped to cope with the staff shortages....sometimes for 2,3 or more consecutive collections. Then their contact centre play a game of well you have to notify a missed collection within 24 hours, of the Correct colour bin, or we will leave it until the next scheduled collection....unless you ask for the details of the council contact that oversees their contract...when they are emptied before a reply is received.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Info should be on your local councils website - something everyone possibly needs to check for the next couple of weeks as collections are made earlier or later due to Easter.

Here they collect on bank holidays . Some times we have 3 dustcarts in the road at one time.

Edited by crompton 33

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Hence collections in the coming week may be day earlier.

Our council puts a calendar of dates through the door for the next 18 months and you can download it, address specific, on their website. Hopefully most other councils do the same.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Our council puts a calendar of dates through the door for the next 18 months and you can download it, address specific, on their website. Hopefully most other councils do the same.

Same here - each year a free 13 month calendar from the local council, with collection days and types of bin marked for each area in the town.

Edited by pH

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Ours is alternate Tuesdays - Garden Waste for recycling* & Stuff for Landfill bins. Other Tuesday is household recycling bin.

Unfortunately they have stopped the Garden Waste collection.

Our council has a similar scheme, in our area, landfill and recycling are on alternate Tuesdays, garden waste fortnightly on a Thursday, the same week as the landfill bin.  The garden waste collection has been suspended for the duration so I'd prefer a dryish summer so the grass cuttings don't mount up!

As for the shops, long queues outside all supermarkets, though they move quite quickly.  Some items are still as rare as hens teeth.  I'll have to try another day, it may be quieter.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2020 at 17:16, Dava said:

Has anyone seen powdered milk or self raising flour? Maybe all the panic-buyers were entering the Great British Bake-off, I doubt it but not been able to buy either for weeks.

Dava

Own brand flour (plain and self-raising) was available today in our Morrison’s: just half-sized packets (500g) and limited to 2 per customer following the panic buying, but as they had a good shelf-full I didn’t feel bad buying two. Fair price too.

• Informative/Useful 3

Local Spar appears to be better stocked than it normally is; there was even stuff on the "Reduced Shelf" (handy if one wanted two chicken breasts and a 10 oz rump steak for £3 say ;))

Only things in short supply were eggs and washing up liquid.

Today's major moan is about *$^%$!!! joggers - The silent assassins of suburbia.....

sneaking up behind you at full speed and breathing like an asthmatic cart-horse all over the place as they pass you.... grrrr

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

If you can get the eggs...

Try Aldi or Lidl - never seen them out of stock whenever I've been in.  Did today see for the first time in ages toilet rolls a plenty in Waitrose. I had popped into for a free newspaper (Club Card offer) and a heavily discounted single malt amongst other inexpensive items in a store that is generally seen to be otherwise. Trick to shopping in Waitrose is to check what offers exist on the web site as all too often they are not indicated on the shelf but IME always are applied at the till; just an anxious wait as the, ouch thats expensive, grand total shows up before any discounts are applied. Whilst the limited access first hour was on I walked through a deserted town centre to M&S for a free (TopCashback sourced gift card) apple pie and noticed the member of staff who lurks around the self service tills was disinfecting the touch screen after a customer had used it.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 08:05, Keith Addenbrooke said:

If you can get the eggs...

Source unknown, but apparently ...

"New deliveries of eggs to British supermarkets are being snapped up as quickly as the shelf stackers can get them onto the shelves.  At the same time, tons of eggs are going off in warehouses which currently hold massive stocks of food.  The unexpected reason for this situation, we learn from the BBC’s Farming Today programme on Wednesday, is that the UK is currently in the grip of an unanticipated egg carton shortage.  The entire of Europe is supplied by just three egg carton manufacturers.  None is based in Britain; and the nearest one – in Denmark – is closed for the next fortnight.  And so we have warehouses full of eggs and queues of shoppers asking for eggs, but no means of connecting the two."

ETA - similar sort of issue with flour in supermarkets too ... https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/why-no-flour-supermarkets-baking-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-explained-2528688?amp&fbclid=IwAR1-Dr2vzVO4dHTu2ZLGV0bX1rRpqbMyBGJDglDaSG0XiMiyNIXWEP77-HE

Edited by spikey
late extra
  • Informative/Useful 5

We are constantly being told about the joys of entrepreneurialism, and informed that we have imported these essential personnel from all corners of the world in enormous numbers; perhaps one or more of them will rise to the occasion? 

Well THIS is proving an intriguing diversion..

http://www.poultrynews.co.uk/business-politics/feature-driving-egg-packing-equipment-forwards.html

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/750942/form-emr01.pdf

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

And Globalisation - everything made in a far flung foreign land - just in time also !!

A serious rethink is required worldwide - certainly here in the UK as to where essential items are sourced - egg cartons, face masks, etc etc.

Won't happen though - it will be back to business as usual.

Brit15

• Agree 6

On 03/04/2020 at 22:02, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Own brand flour (plain and self-raising) was available today in our Morrison’s: just half-sized packets (500g) and limited to 2 per customer following the panic buying, but as they had a good shelf-full I didn’t feel bad buying two. Fair price too.

Interesting, the way that smaller, more expensive packaging seems to be more freely available. I’ve noticed the same with rice and pasta. 

• Agree 1