The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

We have a Tesco delivery due for Saturday. I await results with interest. 

We have heard nothing further from Ocado. We are leaving this in abeyance for now, but I think a cancellation of the subscription is imminent. 

Ongoing game plan seems to be, look ahead and try to book a generic shop at weekly intervals, from whatever source. The worst that can happen, is that we get nothing, or stuff we would buy anyway, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Possibly because the Tesco policy is for the store to open to customers at 08.00 (instead of 06.00), which gives the home shopping pickers two or three hours to get many of the picks done before the public arrive,

Maybe.  All I know is that according to the driver (a pleasant young chap wearing a facemask) our order came from the "depot" at Gatwick, not a supermarket.  I guess he meant a dark store.  Gatwick is 25 miles from us!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

We have heard nothing further from Ocado. We are leaving this in abeyance for now, but I think a cancellation of the subscription is imminent.

They've probably been checking up on you and decided that you don't quite fit their ideal customer demographic.  I wonder, do you buy enough expensive biscuits in packets with pictures of trees on?  Order only single-estate Fairtrade coffee?  The finest Kalamata olives hand-stuffed with sundried heritage tomatoes?  Unpronounceable artisan cheeses? 

I assume that your subscription to Country Life is paid up?   And that you wear only natural fibres?  Perhaps if you could tick just one more box on their list, they'd let you spend your money with them again ... 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, spikey said:

Maybe.  All I know is that according to the driver (a pleasant young chap wearing a facemask) our order came from the "depot" at Gatwick, not a supermarket.  I guess he meant a dark store.  Gatwick is 25 miles from us!

Tesco have a large delivery depot at gatwick use both for store and home delivery 

john 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, BMS said:

Local Aldi is allowing 60 total at a time total then 1 out 1 in. West Kirby, Wirral

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

I don't like the updated layout at West Kirby (ok, I know its been like that for ages!) but I still can't navigate it automatically!  I prefer to go to Heswall instead.  Or up to Prenton if i want things from Sainsburys or Home Bargain!

Given that, on Friday when I last went shopping, Heswall were doing 60 in/1 in 1 out and the queue stretched along the long side of the building and along the back wall.  They didn't have a couple of things I wanted so I went into WK on the way back. No queueing at all.

Don't tell me that the police have a roadblock at Thurstaston and are turning shoppers back to WK.....  :jester:

West Kirby is better for watching trains while waiting to go in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spikey said:

They've probably been checking up on you and decided that you don't quite fit their ideal customer demographic.  I wonder, do you buy enough expensive biscuits in packets with pictures of trees on?  Order only single-estate Fairtrade coffee?  The finest Kalamata olives hand-stuffed with sundried heritage tomatoes?  Unpronounceable artisan cheeses? 

I assume that your subscription to Country Life is paid up?   And that you wear only natural fibres?  Perhaps if you could tick just one more box on their list, they'd let you spend your money with them again ... 

.... don’t read the Guardian, and wouldn’t pay money for the Telegraph. No hope, really...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nothing to report from today's weekly shopping run, everything in stock at Tesco except Alfaz Harrissa, so had to try Tesco's own brand...

I lie, there was something to report. The extra staff taken on to manage the distancing dominated by beauteous young women. Do I suspect they are likely students or temporarily displaced baristas, waiting staff and the like?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

everything in stock at Tesco except Alfaz Harrissa

I haven’t got a clue what that is, I’m more of a birds eye potato waffle kinda guy! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Having just googled it it does look tasty!

we got something similar from Nantwich food festival last year I think, like a chilli jam

here are a couple of twitter things that made me chuckle the last couple of weeks 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Nothing to report from today's weekly shopping run, everything in stock at Tesco except Alfaz Harrissa.......

Sounds more like a middle-eastern Terrorist.

Getting mightily p1ssed off with the internet dropping in and out every few minutes :(

• Friendly/supportive 2

Went to local Coop this morning for weekly shop. Allowing about 10 people in at a time. Still limited to 2 of each item. Managed to find some loo rolls at last and some Paracetomol. First of either for nearly a month! The bubblewrap screens at the kiosk were particularly fetching.

Plenty of bread and milk....very limited veggie range...favourite GroBurgers been missing for ages.

Just very pleased that they are open and trying their very best to help.

Internet here awful as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

Getting mightily p1ssed off with the internet dropping in and out every few minutes :(

Mine's done that a few times but I put it down to my dodgy phone system, it's had patches in the past where that happens as well as interference on the line and calls dropping the connection. Again nothing new there though despite Openreach having had a poke around a few times and filters replaced.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Nothing to report from today's weekly shopping run, everything in stock at Tesco except Alfaz Harrissa, so had to try Tesco's own brand...

I lie, there was something to report. The extra staff taken on to manage the distancing dominated by beauteous young women. Do I suspect they are likely students or temporarily displaced baristas, waiting staff and the like?

In our store the queue marshalls are from a local firm that normal work on high end events, which of course are all cancelled.

Among our checkout team are a number of former airline cabin crew, and others are now on the home shop picking team.  

cheers

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

In our store the queue marshalls are from a local firm that normal work on high end events, which of course are all cancelled.

Among our checkout team are a number of former airline cabin crew, and others are now on the home shop picking team.  

cheers

In my local Woolworths supermarket in Australia today, at the entry they were offering sanister to spray on shopper hands and also the trolley handles. Yesterday, they were offering the spray, but not the trolleys and was being done by supermarket staff.

Today, the security guard (not normally required!) were doing that task. Perhaps the guy was bored so volunteered?

• Informative/Useful 2

Afternoon all,

I would like to ask if anyone has actually had any help getting food deliverys from HMG? I received a text today stateing that I had registered as clinically extremely vunerable. But not had a letter from the NHS to confirm this. We'll share your details with the NHS. If the NHS defines you as clinically extremely vunerable the NHS will contact you. Your GP will be informed. (my GP has my medical records, shouldn't he already know?).

It goes on to say if I need help getting food and supplies, but am not on the clinically extremely vunerablen list my details will be shared with supermarkets. They may be able to help.

I spent most of december and part of Jan/ Febuary in my local general hospital due to flare ups of my copd and was released to home with home oxygen as backup. I was looking forward to a gentle recovery through the summer and had only just got used to ventureing outside when the virus thing exploded on the UK.

Sorry for the waffling on, do you think I would be considered vunerable?

Anyway, I'd appreciate other folks views on wether or not I am in that group and also any advice from folks in the know.

Thanks again

Roger

• Friendly/supportive 6

8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

We have a Tesco delivery due for Saturday. I await results with interest. 

Ongoing game plan seems to be, look ahead and try to book a generic shop at weekly intervals, from whatever source. The worst that can happen, is that we get nothing, or stuff we would buy anyway, 

That is strange, because I decided to join the Ocado queue on Monday, just to find out what I had in my order - only to find a message came up identifying me as a priority customer, and now I can log in straight away. No booking slots beyond the 8th though. 

I have been trying to think of why I might be priority, because apart from getting state pension and being a Smartpass (or smartarse) owner, there is nothing special about me (as many who know me will gladly confirm). I had no communication to tell me this news, I just found out by chance. 

I may have bought Duchy Original biscuits at Christmas once, but that is as close to 'upmarket' as I get. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

The Grocer's website is reporting a 10% rise in the price of chickenfeed, so stand by for the price of eggs going up before much longer.  I wonder why, exactly. 

And whether other cereals will follow PDQ. 

And how much longer we've got before we have to get used to the inevitable price rises across the board ... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Although those increases should be outweighed by the drop in oil prices which are now about 75% lower than this time last year, and in a normal world might lead to a fall in transport costs. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Although those increases should be outweighed by the drop in oil prices which are now about 75% lower than this time last year, and in a normal world might lead to a fall in transport costs. 

There were huge falls in petrol prices starting just before lockdown.

The petrol station I use at the Maypole Birmingham is currently 96.7p/L for unleaded, it even gets into the Daily Excess:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1263220/petrol-prices-under-one-pound-a-litre-price-fall

It was 10p more a month ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The petrol station I use at the Maypole Birmingham is currently 96.7p/L for unleaded, it even gets into the Daily Excess:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1263220/petrol-prices-under-one-pound-a-litre-price-fall

Wow. I haven't used the car much in the last month, so had no idea prices were already that low. Thanks. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

move been making sure I fill my car at the Birmingham/Walsall end of my commute as it’s almost 10p cheaper than the stations in crewe

it will be interesting to see how much less I spend this month running just one car for work (that hasn’t moved this week as I’ve got hire cars), then no McDonald’s, no greggs, no eating out, no non essential shopping etc 

no doubt the electricity and gas bills will rise as there are now 3 people at home during the day who need feeding and heating (even though I sneakily turn the Hive heating down when I’m out!) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Wow. I haven't used the car much in the last month, so had no idea prices were already that low. Thanks. 

Still 1.24 a litre round my way (Christchurch) 

• Friendly/supportive 3