The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

Personally I detest the IKEA "experience" since I already know what I want.  I don't need to waste an hour wandering through all manner of other displays.   I guess that's one way to stop panic buying - you're exhausted and at the end of your patience by the time you check out! 

But you have a new pan, some candles, a throw for the sofa and a cuddly toy.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

And with it came an escalation in the divorce rate!  :jester:

It is a documented phenomenon that the males among us typically shop on the go in - get what you came for - get out principle whereas females are far more likely to browse much of an entire shop.

Personally I detest the IKEA "experience" since I already know what I want.  I don't need to waste an hour wandering through all manner of other displays.   I guess that's one way to stop panic buying - you're exhausted and at the end of your patience by the time you check out! 

You could learn the shortcuts, some are signposted some are swing doors.:sungum:

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Agree 6

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It is a documented phenomenon that the males among us typically shop on the go in - get what you came for - get out principle whereas females are far more likely to browse much of an entire shop.

The ability to use short cuts (fire escapes) between the sections aids the shopping experience for the male of the species as it allows them to get in and out with what they actually want, rather than what the company think you need!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Not according to Wikipedia - "Arla Foods is today owned by approximately 10,600 milk producers in Denmark and Sweden."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arla_Foods_UK

Where the HQ is located is very relevant (to me anyway), as that is usually where the bulk of the tax is paid. 

Wrong

Read Arla UK's website.

https://www.arlafoods.co.uk/about-arla/who-we-are/

Approx 2500+ UK Farmers are partners of the cooperative and I doubt Arla actually pay much tax as most of the money goes to the Farmers.

EDIT If you don't like Arla try Firstmilk a wholly UK cooperative, unfortunately it's farmers get approx 3p/litre less than those in the Arla cooperative.

I know which one I would support.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

That's assuming you can get in after joining the queue!

I've not found the queue too bad when I've gone (only been a couple of times since it was started), although it was quite a bit longer than they'd taped spaces out to stand on. It had gone on to the car park, where people were treating the space markings as convenient markers (the minimum space recommendation for car park markings seems to be a little over 2 m).

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Not according to Wikipedia - "Arla Foods is today owned by approximately 10,600 milk producers in Denmark and Sweden."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arla_Foods_UK

Where the HQ is located is very relevant (to me anyway), as that is usually where the bulk of the tax is paid. 

https://www.arlafoods.co.uk/about-arla/who-we-are/

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

If your clever there are loads of short cuts through the stores which the employees use they are open for the public as well but they just don’t publicly sign them, much better to try and force shoppers to wander along the “snake route” and maybe pick up a few things they never went in for.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

That's assuming you can get in after joining the queue!

Fair point, I went at 8.40am before it got busy (needed bread after the weekend). By 9.00am there was a queue for the tills (by mid-morning the queue has been a dozen or so round the little car park - though I wouldn't call this panic buying, just social distancing).

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

I have not long since returned from a supplies trip to my local Lidl.

No queues [possibly as it was around 3 pm when I rocked up?]

However, one overriding observation I noted....regarding the ability to maintain so-called social distancing.

It is virtually impossible to maintain, within the average medium sized [rural] supermarket.

Not because of the number of shoppers...far from it.

But because of the available width within the aisles.

The biggest issue concerned [for me] the queueing for the checkouts.  Tape being stuck to the floor at approx 2 metre intervals can be slightly counter productive in my view.

It means, those queueing for checkouts can lead to lines of shoppers stretching down the aisle into the supermarket proper.

Lines that obstruct clear access to the stock on the shelves behind them.

In the end, it was a case of being somewhat pragmatic about it all, asking/suggesting folk might like to 'look the other way' whilst I dived in to get my chosen tea, coffee, biscuits, etc... After all, what else could anybody do? Waiting patiently was clearly out of the question, as the checkouts weren't clearing particularly rapidly.....I noted most shoppers were reluctant to load the conveyor belts whilst another was still at the till, loading bags and paying.  Not consistent behaviour, when they've spent the best part of the last 40 minutes in fairly close contact with other passing shoppers..now, all of a sudden [because of the tape?] they don;t want to be near anybody at all!

Then there's the trolleys with 2 people stood behind them.....[instead of the wisest move, only one person per trolley?]

Really it would be down to the supermarkets to re-organise their shelves and aisles...but for sure, they won't want to do this? [middle of Lidl? Surely not 'essential' at the moment]

The larger stores have less of a problem, I suspect? But then, I personally, would have a 25 mile round trip to my nearest 'big' store....with potential contact with a far greater number of unwashed humans [or otherwise?]....Hardly in keeping with current 'advice,' re-being out & about? Not when I have 2 stores a mere 6 miles  away from home?

So, do we simply '' minimise'' the risk where possible?   [I do not do home deliveries, as they usually have a minimum spend I cannot achieve in a month, being a singly. Besdes, with current waiting time for slots around here, not viable]

Personally, i will 'supermarket' at the very most once every two to three weeks....getting most of my fresh provisions either from  a village butcher, or a local farm shop, who will do pay &  collect?

Eggs come from next door's hensbums.....Toilet roll is rationed.....[in my house.]   Occasional fresh home made bread deliveries en passant by an ex wife...ie a text or email, followed by a car blocking my gatehole, a plaggy bag dumped on the driveway, a few photos of my prevailing wildlife, and taraa!

The only thing I really miss is..the farm shop cake supplies have dried up....

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Oh, there is evidence emerging that cats can be infected with coronavirus....as well as other certain animals [ferrets was one species mentioned]....

I wish it were pigeons instead.....

Any mention of Bears ....:scared:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Any mention of Bears ....:scared:

None that I recall....the main subject of the piece was a tiger......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

it appears the tiger developed a dry cough........after contact with her keeper, who was asymptomatic....

Did the keeper get to less than 2 metres from the tiger, I wonder?

Edited by alastairq
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

20200406_085100.jpg.67b3c73d5c72da91786f490d5b618c63.jpg

Tesco Express this morning. Panic almost over (just hand sanitiser to reappear now).

Is the cling film relevant to the subject matter, I hope not, or just creeping accidentally into shot?

Mind you, on further investigation the dish washer thingies could fall into the same category, Tesco really do think of everything!

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, alastairq said:

So, do we simply '' minimise'' the risk where possible?

Basically yes. There are some situations where it is never going to be possible to keep 2m apart.  The aisles of many smaller supermarkets and corner shops are among them. 

What we need to do is to maintain that distance so far as is reasonably possible and within the government’s “advice”. 

The latter isn’t that - it is legally enforceable directives. But the test in any court of law remains “What would a reasonable person do?” 

Thus a reasonable person might wait their turn to enter a supermarket but if the layout inside prevents access to shelves without having to wait 10 minutes at every turn then a reasonable person might well fill their basket leaving as much space as they can between themselves and others. 

In a similar vein we are required to deposit our recycling in skips along the road - up to 100m from home. None of us considers an essential waste recycling trip of that distance to constitute daily exercise nor is it shopping. A reasonable person will dispose of waste in the manner prescribed rather than allow it to accumulate for what may be months. 

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Oh, there is evidence emerging that cats can be infected with coronavirus....as well as other certain animals [ferrets was one species mentioned]....

It seems only fitting, given my longstanding aversion to cats. To quote Cromwell, “.. is there no vice you do not possess?”

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, alastairq said:

Tiger and other big cats at the Bronx Zoo infected by keeper:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

Sorry for the duplication, didn't spot the earlier one amongst all the gaps in the posts!

Edited by melmerby

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

My cat is very annoyed about being kept in.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Is the cling film relevant to the subject matter, I hope not, or just creeping accidentally into shot?

Mike.

Well spotted, if a little frightening! (I was trying to include the boxes of tissues as they also sold out in the panics and are also now reappearing)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Ikea introduced the one way system years ago!

Yes I have been conducted around Ikea a few times!

Unfortunately most supermarkets are not designed with one way systems in mind, our system is certainly not perfect.

In fairness most customers are pretty understanding, and since the original panic rush has passed the atmosphere is now much more relaxed.

cheers