Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Welchester said:

Hergé, Simenon &c &c. Also, oddly enough Audrey Hepburn.

Audrey Hepburn has the most Yorkshire name of any woman in history.  Can I add Rene Magritte to the list, because he knew it wasn't a pipe...

6 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I can see the point of an extra axle to reduce axle loadings, but why not a trailing pony truck? I can't see how that would get in the way of the firebox.

Me neither, but unless the loco really was specifically built to get up Whyte's nose (and I think it predated his publication of his notation, so that's off the table), there must have been a reason.  It is probably one of those big fireboxes, and/or a need to keep the adhesive weight where the designer wanted it.  A trailing pony or radial would put the rear coupled axle right through the bottom of a firebox that extended downwards enough, and there may have been inter-frame shennanigans that we wot not of.  Pure guesswork; perhaps someone knows the real reason!

• Agree 1

As did LNER, and Southern. Just have a read of the WikiPedia entry on Locomotives of the Southern Railway and you'll believe that the only period when they weren't Top UK Designers for steam traction was when they took their eye off the ball to become Top World Designers of suburban electric traction. For LNER I give you speed records downhill that the locomotive does not survive intact (but the latter isn't mentioned by their fans).

LMS I think was still too busy in-fighting the battle LNWR vs MR to care what the others were up to until it decided to join in the 'most powerful passenger locomotive' sweepstakes.

4 hours ago, whart57 said:

Audrey Hepburn was more Dutch than Belgian, her parents just happened to be living in Belgium when she was born. But she also went to school in England and her parents were married in what is now Indonesia. A very well-travelled lady, but not someone imo who should be a thread of plug uglies.

She liked beautiful locomotives:

Knipsel4.JPG.c19c6ab129c3ceda897ef79708c2a4c4.JPG

Regards

Fred

• Like 2

On 18/12/2021 at 12:10, whart57 said:

The same can't be said of their Holland Railway competitor, their Borsig locomotives definitely belong here

image.png.6e3c8861cd9d7bcbdb526c8770a3c6e6.png

The earlier Dutch 2-4-0s with wooden cabs look far worse. I know this from reading this fantastic book recently.

https://www.camdenmin.co.uk/collections/european-and-world-railways/products/steam-in-europe-1894-1947-the-photographs-of-lodewijk-derens

Lots of photos of turn of the century Dutch steam, and plenty of British and French stuff. Definitely recommended.

As for famous Belgians, don't forget Plastic Bertrand. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sncf231e said:

She liked beautiful locomotives:

Knipsel4.JPG.c19c6ab129c3ceda897ef79708c2a4c4.JPG

Regards

Fred

What's she doing posing with that semi-steamlined flying dustbin, then (I don't like streamlining on steam locomotives, it is the quickest, cheapest, and most effective way to make a beautiful machine ugly).  And it doesn't work anyway.  I will allow certain smoke lifting measures such as the A4 Bugatti front and Bullied's 'air smoothed' casings, but this sort of nonsense, no thanks.

Of course I know it's the lighting, but she undoubtedly brightens a dull day, doesn't she!

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2021 at 14:46, kevinlms said:

Amazing just how often GWR locos pop up in this discussion - just saying!

Got to be the top British company.

It certainly thought is was!

20 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

How about this Norwegian 2-6-0 for a nice loco ruined by smoke deflectors? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSB_Class_21#/media/File:NSB_21e_207_med_Svene-pukken_på_Kongsberg_stasjon_i_1970.jpg

I usually approve of smoke deflectors, even the Wittes on A3s which are not to everyone's taste, but that is pretty disfiguring!

• Like 2

Apart from the FACT that running crimson lake express passenger engines is a requirement to be the top British company, I think each had their own needs, specialities, stupidities, and trying to allocate to top company is futile. Basically done on emotion, which you can't argue folks out of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, DenysW said:

Apart from the FACT that running crimson lake express passenger engines is a requirement to be the top British company, I think each had their own needs, specialities, stupidities, and trying to allocate to top company is futile. Basically done on emotion, which you can't argue folks out of.

Crimson Lake?

Just a big "Me Me Me!!!" statement. Not subtle at all...  :jester:

Green or black, that's the ticket! :whistle:

On 20/12/2021 at 22:31, pete_mcfarlane said:

How about this Norwegian 2-6-0 for a nice loco ruined by smoke deflectors? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSB_Class_21#/media/File:NSB_21e_207_med_Svene-pukken_på_Kongsberg_stasjon_i_1970.jpg

Rather quaint and quizzical, I thought. The overall appearance was let down by the ratty red snow plough...

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Crimson Lake?

Just a big "Me Me Me!!!" statement. Not subtle at all...  :jester:

Green or black, that's the ticket! :whistle:

Rather quaint and quizzical, I thought. The overall appearance was let down by the ratty red snow plough...

One of those is on the KESR.

If British railways had been nationalised in 1923, then there was a distinct possibility that the London suburban lines were then passed to London County Council to add to the tube lines. A bit like creating today's Overground a century earlier. That would however have taken the LSWR's third rail electrification out of the national company. In which case would we have seen something like these emus from 1924 on British rails, perhaps on London to Brighton first.

image.png.5427967c43bf1cc9ff33ef1496c49b3b.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2021 at 12:00, DenysW said:

I find this one impressively powerful-looking, but also ugly. Without the white-lining I think it would be through to very ugly.

image.png.a3ffbdefb50395f2cde6086a11f59b75.png

Nah, needs to have the white lining, handrails, and cylinder fronts painted over, then it would look proper sinister and spooky.

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

any Nielsen box tank..

EQWKLxgWAAQDx5X.jpg.bf9f954de809ceed135b13906799d8fd.jpg

No problems with the Trades Descriptions people, though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Leader as a replacement for M7 tanks? :scratchhead:

In hindsight, a "stodgy" Q1 tank or Leader built as a diesel would have been better solutions.

But Bulleid hated diesels, so the whole point of various experiments.

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2022 at 22:08, rockershovel said:

any Nielsen box tank..

EQWKLxgWAAQDx5X.jpg.bf9f954de809ceed135b13906799d8fd.jpg

I'm perplexed by the rod emerging from the top part of the cylinder. Presumably it actuates the piston and must somehow gain its motion from the inside valve gear, but it's not clear what it's attached to at the rear end.