Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Worst looking locomotive topic. Antidote to Best Looking Locomotive topic.

• RMweb Gold

I'd say weird rather than ugly, and certainly badly proportioned.  I can't see why the running plate extends so far ahead of the outside cylinders unless the inside ones drive the leading axle de Glehn style, and even if they do about the frames and front bogie can be shortened by 5 or 6 feet.  The odd shaped firebox I cannot comment on as I don't know what the blocks in the tender are, but I highly approve of what even 110 years on looks like a futuristic cab!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I'd say weird rather than ugly, and certainly badly proportioned.  I can't see why the running plate extends so far ahead of the outside cylinders unless the inside ones drive the leading axle de Glehn style, and even if they do about the frames and front bogie can be shortened by 5 or 6 feet.  The odd shaped firebox I cannot comment on as I don't know what the blocks in the tender are, but I highly approve of what even 110 years on looks like a futuristic cab!

Seems to be a demonstration of the pitfalls of combining sub-assemblies which worked well enough in their original uses.... the boiler was apparently a great success as a fast freight 2-10-0, the inspiration for the fabled L&YR 2-10-0 design.

appearances notwithstanding, they seemed to have been powerful and free-steaming, and had a long career in their original routes

The blocks in the tender would be briquettes, compressed coal dust and slack. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I’m surprised this thread has got this far without mentioning the Flamme  4-6-2s, classic examples of the European “The bits won’t fit together any other way” school of design 

27E8EDAB-0458-4D68-986C-9EBB021147ED.jpeg.c051e9180e00460c9d054424c7a8897d.jpeg

Mind bleach required.

That thing makes a Thompson pacific look "right"

Adrian

Edited by figworthy
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Seems to be a demonstration of the pitfalls of combining sub-assemblies which worked well enough in their original uses.... the boiler was apparently a great success as a fast freight 2-10-0, the inspiration for the fabled L&YR 2-10-0 design.

appearances notwithstanding, they seemed to have been powerful and free-steaming, and had a long career in their original routes

The blocks in the tender would be briquettes, compressed coal dust and slack. 

I suppose that makes them the antidote to the "if it looks right, it is right" theory.

• Like 2

Does anybody think the Lanky class 30 and 31s are well proportioned/ good looking/ dreadful? I think the latter, but don’t seem able to drag a photo here to prove the point. There was also a tank version of these, which was even worse!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Weirdly, the  smokebox front with with its wingplates looks like a crib from the Caledonian railway designs the Belgians bought a few years previously. 

I cant decide whether the smoke deflectors make it worse or better. 

2609738754_1.jpg&w=300&up=no&q=70

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 88D said:

Does anybody think the Lanky class 30 and 31s are well proportioned/ good looking/ dreadful?

Ugly, ungainly things, boiler too high and they look like they're about to tip forwards. The 32 is slightly less bad as the cab/bunker visually helps balance it a bit more, but the whole lot of them are hideous.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nowt wrong with them.

They would pull a shed down.spacer.png

Photo Ben Brooksbank via Wiki

Jason

Thread title? Worst looking locomotive!

Nobody said anything about performance, or capability!

• Like 1

From my (clearly eccentric Asberger’s ?) personal Point of View, I suggest this thread's conservative middle of the road boring  ‘keep it all properly clad beauty’ Brit inside cylinder 4-4-0 paradigm against which all are judged, is well overdue being renamed: 

'Exceptional "Thinking Outside the Box" Locomotives Most Worth Scratch Modelling” 

Edited by runs as required
formatting
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 18/06/2020 at 20:01, rockershovel said:

... well, I rather like Crocodiles.

I’m surprised this thread has got this far without mentioning the Flamme  4-6-2s, classic examples of the European “The bits won’t fit together any other way” school of design 

27E8EDAB-0458-4D68-986C-9EBB021147ED.jpeg.c051e9180e00460c9d054424c7a8897d.jpeg

When it came to adding the boiler, they said "Measure twice, cut once", but the apprentice they engaged didn't listen. :jester::jester:

• Funny 3

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So why are they being mentioned? 

I don't think the L&Y had anything remotely in the category "worst" anything.

Jason

Don't ask me, I didn't say anything about their looks,

just saying that their ability to do things is not relevant to their looks!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Don't ask me, I didn't say anything about their looks,

just saying that their ability to do things is not relevant to their looks!

I suppose the flip side of the coin would be locomotives that look fine, but failed to live up to expectations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So why are they being mentioned? 

I don't think the L&Y had anything remotely in the category "worst" anything.

Jason

Wasn't the locomotive situation on the L&YR pretty dire, until Barton Wright took over in 1875? It desperately need new locomotives and new workshops to build them in.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, robmcg said:

I declare the winner to be bullet-nosed Castles and Kings.

Standard locos, with clown noses?

Plenty of worse examples than Castles & Kings, within this topic.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I suppose the flip side of the coin would be locomotives that look fine, but failed to live up to expectations.

Like Churchward Counties?  Or the magnificently mad Harrison Hurricane?  Or the entire 1955 Modernisation Scheme?

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Like Churchward Counties?  Or the magnificently mad Harrison Hurricane?  Or the entire 1955 Modernisation Scheme?

Surely you mean Hawksworth Counties?