NHS class 66

Stueyboy43

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Blackthorn said:

Xenophbic??

Yes it was, I've seen similar from others before and they all belong in the bin. This topic certainly isn't the place for it; you'll have to get over that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Yes it was, I've seen similar from others before and they all belong in the bin. This topic certainly isn't the place for it; you'll have to get over that.

I'm sorry Andy. This wasn't this place for this vent...

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Blackthorn said:

I'm sorry Andy. This wasn't this place for this vent...

I'm not quite clear; is that an apology for further extending that discussion unnecessarily or is it that you feel I shouldn't be able to give my perspective?

Hornby one will sell out .

sadly I’d rather give another donation than have a model engine remind me of this years death and destruction of peoples careers and the economy .

so I’ll stick with my EWS ones from happier times I think 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hornby one has sold out, been trying ever since I got the email about two hours ago, web site kept crashing then finally got as far PayPal and it told me THEN that there were none available......:(.......

So Bachmann.....there’s the gauntlet, go for it....I’ll have one.....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Since when is it xenophobic to call for a product to be made in the UK? Is it xenophobic to buy British meat over imports now? 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

Hornby one has sold out, been trying ever since I got the email about two hours ago, web site kept crashing then finally got as far PayPal and it told me THEN that there were none available......:(.......

Same here. Put in my card details and even got to the 'order complete' stage before being told by Hornby that they have sold out and had to cancel it. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, bart2day said:

Since when is it xenophobic to call for a product to be made in the UK?

I was referring to removed content. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Hornby one will sell out .

sadly I’d rather give another donation than have a model engine remind me of this years death and destruction of peoples careers and the economy .

so I’ll stick with my EWS ones from happier times I think 

That’s one way to look at it, I prefer to see it as another way to celebrate the coming together of people in the face of terrible circumstances out of our control.......as for the donations, already given to Col Tom.....and also to the NHS, we payed our Son’s expenses to go through medical school for the past 6 years.....and now 2nd year Junior Doctor he is A&E SHD with Covi-19 walk ins every day.......we are sh1tt1ng bricks hoping he will stay safe.

• Friendly/supportive 8

51 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Given that most modern stuff needs a license Bachman (and Hattons) may be unable to offer it.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, fezza said:

I'm as happy as anyone to discuss the bogie detail on a Hornby 800.  However some of us also care about where our model trains come from, how they are produced, who is exploited, who suffers and who benefits.

It is reasonably safe to assume that the people making our train models are not being exploited.  Various companies have provided pictures and videos of their production facilities and the employees are all well fed, healthy, and looking content - and as pointed out by Jason of Rapido Trains they frequently have better smartphones than he does.  The key difference is that they have a much cheaper cost of living than we in the west do, which means they can live on much lower salaries overall.

Which isn't to say you are wrong to be concerned, though the superficial impression I get is that the exploitation problems are in other areas like clothing and frequently outside of China.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Given that most modern stuff needs a license Bachman (and Hattons) may be unable to offer it.

Possibly but you don’t know unless you ask......and of course “it is for charity”.....

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, according to the Hornby thread the Ltd Ed model has already sold out in a couple of hours since it was announced, that alone has provided a £20k donation to NHS Charities, let’s be happy for that news at least 

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, fezza said:

It's not xenophobic to want your own country to have an industrial base so it can make the things it needs (whether it be toys or ventilators). 

Nor is it xenophobic to call out totalitarian regimes that imprison, torture and kill anyone who disagrees with them - or regimes that cover up a disease that is likely to kill hundreds of thousands of people. Western trade and corporate greed have propped up this regime - meanwhile European industry has been taken over or disappeared. 

Churchill was accused of xenophobia when criticising Nazi Germany in the 1930s - so sadly there is a long history of people avoiding reality by attacking those who draw attention to uncomfortable truths. 

Whatever your political views are,the expression of them on this forum is not tolerated. You might find appreciation of them on alternative social media. Not here,please.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, fezza said:

It's not xenophobic to want your own country to have an industrial base so it can make the things it needs (whether it be toys or ventilators). 

No its not - but you are ignoring the fact that over success decades the British public have made it ABUNDANTLY clear that the majority put low prices above all else.

Its called globalisation  - get used to it!

The rise of the likes of Aldi / Lidil, the massive growth of cheap online fashion from the likes of Boohoo and even the way car firms have heavily embraced leasing / other financial mechanisms to lower the upfront costs should tell you that UK production of anything labour intensive simply isn't going to happen.

So rather than getting all stroppy over it (particularly when dealing with something raising funds for a very good cause) please keep your rants to yourself - or start another thread .

• Agree 3

24 minutes ago, fezza said:

Nor is it xenophobic to call out totalitarian regimes that imprison, torture and kill anyone who disagrees with them - or regimes that cover up a disease that is likely to kill hundreds of thousands of people. Western trade and corporate greed have propped up this regime - meanwhile European industry has been taken over or disappeared. 

Churchill was accused of xenophobia when criticising Nazi Germany in the 1930s - so sadly there is a long history of people avoiding reality by attacking those who draw attention to uncomfortable truths. 

C46F3F30-35B0-4D8F-90C8-F7A418F35E05.png

• Like 3

• Moderators

Whilst some people keep trying to turn this topic into political football Hornby are getting on with raising £60k for the NHS.

Topic closed.

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2

• AY Mod locked this topic