The Tyne dock Consett thread.

• RMweb Gold

I visited Consett in 1987 as an adjunct to a business trip. I was amazed to be told by my local host that the grassed areas we were driving past were part of the old steelworks complex. It hardly seemed credible that such a huge industrial landmark could almost entirely vanish.

Amazing shots John i didnt know anything at all about this.Been up Beamish today and found 3 posts with signal cable pulley wheels on.I left them next to the trackbed if your up.I was going to take one but need some rope or something to drag it up near bridge.

I'll have to have a run up to see - cheers.

John

Further to Jons pics here's yet another phot of the fan Exhaust. Taken in 2005, for those that don't know the area it shows how  rural the colliery location was.

The red arrow indicates the room that housed the airlock door shown in post #247.

post-508-0-74081000-1420661331.jpg

P

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
37006 propelling a track lifting train at South Pelaw Junction in May 1984 (photo copyright Stephen McGahon)

South-Pelaw-25-5-82-37-006.jpg

Having reversed over the junction, the same train now heads towards the ECML via Ouston Junction (photo copyright Stephen McGahon)

South-Pelaw-25-5-82-37006.jpg

John

• Like 8

The bridge that the photos above were taken on was the latest thing to go about 2-3 years ago - last time I looked it was still visible on Google Street View.

Here it is as the demolition contractors arrived:

bridge2.jpg

and here is the site just 2 days later   :O The line to Ouston Junction and the ECML went through the left hand span of the bridge with the line to Washington through the right.

bridge3.jpg

John

• Like 2

I've just been sent this photo by Stephen McGahon, one of the contributors to my site.  

31222 comes off the line to Consett at Ouston Junction with a train of track panels on 20 September 1984.  Whilst I've seen many photos taken at Ouston Junction, this is the very first one I've seen of a train coming off the Consett line...

Ouston-jct-20-9-84-31222.jpg

John

• Like 5

The bridge that the photos above were taken on was the latest thing to go about 2-3 years ago - last time I looked it was still visible on Google Street View.

Here it is as the demolition contractors arrived:

bridge2.jpg

and here is the site just 2 days later   :O The line to Ouston Junction and the ECML went through the left hand span of the bridge with the line to Washington through the right.

bridge3.jpg

John

Billy Thompson's lads don't hang about, do they?

Billy Thompson's lads don't hang about, do they?

Indeed they don't...

I've heard that the old NCB shed at Stella Gill, the largest remaining structure on the line, is to be demolished apparently to make way for some new houses...

Here's what it looks like now:

IMG_2180.jpg

John

• Like 3

What was that shed used for, John?

NCB stores. Up to a few years ago a guy that had links the Lambton Family sold agricultural Lime from part of the shed. He also had something to do with Heights Quarry in Weardale.

I think the land is part of the Lambton Estates and reverts back to their ownership on demolition of the buildings. If there is a planning a application in for the place it will probably be on line.

Last time I was in there the place had loads of electrical high voltage oil filled switchgear that was still in use but it would be have been more at home a  in a mining museum.

P

• 2 months later...

37078 'Teesside Steelmaster' leaves Consett on 26 September 1984 with a train of track panels.  This is, I believe the very last train to leave Consett proper, the track had been removed just behind the brake van. (Photo copyright Stephen McGahon)

the-last-train.jpg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Really Interesting thread - I've cycled down part of the route when I was completing the coast to coast cycle. Suitably inspired, I'm musing on the viability of a future layout based on the Consett ore trains.

I'd really like to get a track plan/map for the iron ore loading facilities at the quay and the unloading gantry at Consett. Can anyone recommend the best source for those or does anyone have anything they would be happy to share?

Thanks John, I've already had a look at your excellent website - interesting section on the ore trains with some great photos too. Fantastic layout project as well! Unfortunately I don't suscribe to old maps so can't peruse said triangle.

There must be a book on this topic, I noticed Darlsey mentioned at the start of the thread but have mixed feelings about some of the Middleton Press books I own. If anyone has a copy and is reading this any chance you could let me know if it has good map snippets/photos in of the ore loading and unloading points? It would be good to get an opinion on it before buying.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John, I've already had a look at your excellent website - interesting section on the ore trains with some great photos too. Fantastic layout project as well! Unfortunately I don't suscribe to old maps so can't peruse said triangle.

There must be a book on this topic, I noticed Darlsey mentioned at the start of the thread but have mixed feelings about some of the Middleton Press books I own. If anyone has a copy and is reading this any chance you could let me know if it has good map snippets/photos in of the ore loading and unloading points? It would be good to get an opinion on it before buying.

An alternate map website that shows quite a lot of detail is this: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=54.8505&lon=-1.8313&layers=10

There is a choice of various maps from diferent periods and I have found it quite useful to trace old lines.

• Like 1

The old-maps link should work without a subscription, it does for me...

The Darsley book has a map but it is much too early to show the unloading facility and photo wise doesn't really show anything that my website doesn't.

John

Edited by johndon

...there was the underframe of one of the 56T hoppers still in use on Teesside until recently...it might even still be there...

Phot this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40852-tees-side-wagons-and-locos/&do=findComment&comment=437582

Mr Bartletts site  (As ever)

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bsclackenby/h2136ADF#h2136adf

and somewhere on the forum I think there was pics of some in use at Scunthorpe, (or Corby) but a quick site search didn't come up with any links.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane