The Tyne dock Consett thread.

I've cycled the length of the line at various times from Tyne Dock up to Consett and I find it very disappointing that, unless I've missed something, there are no info boards that give any hint of what the former trackbed was used for and its importance and the unique features it had. Apart from a few remaining bridges and Beamish tunnel the various dog walkers could be forgiven for not realising it had ever been a railway at all!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of Stephen McGahon, a superb shot of 37085 passing Oxhill, Stanley with the County Durham Crusader railtour on 19 May 1979.  Such are the gradients on the line that, when the train passed through Beamish, it was barely maintaining a walking pace.

5-copy-copy.jpg

John
  • Like 9

Am I imagining things but the first and third wagons appear to be loaded?

Mark Saunders

I see what you mean and, knowing the area, the hills behind aren't high enough for them to appear over the tops of the wagons - the caption for the photo came from the original photographer.

John

• RMweb Premium

I see what you mean and, knowing the area, the hills behind aren't high enough for them to appear over the tops of the wagons - the caption for the photo came from the original photographer.

John

Am I imagining things but the first and third wagons appear to be loaded?

Mark Saunders

Faulty hopper doors?

As Tom Jones sang 'It's not unusual'

Hat coat, wellies....gone

Regards

Ian

I don't know the location intimately but with a smattering of knowledge and looking at Google maps I would suggest this is a loaded train heading towards Consett.

Pontop Pike is east of Leadgate so the train is heading westward. I suppose the next subject for discussion is why do the other hoppers not appear as full?

Martin

Hi Martin, 

99% certain were at milepost 9¼ heading toward Annfield Plain. There was a good deal of open casting around the Consett area at the time of the phot and I can remember seeing a hopper and loading arrangement in Consett station Yard about 1979 but never saw it in use.

Bob Young was just starting to build up his open cast coal businesses around the Consett area about this time. He used the ex NCB loco shed at Leadgate as a garage and eventually took over Leadgate school as offices. I can't remember when it started but he had a large opencast site that included a drift, directly opposite Leadgate industrial estate but this may have been later than the photo.

It's just a theory but that could be opencast coal and if so it's destination could possibly be Wardley via Tyne Yard.

post-508-0-80985600-1473379008_thumb.jpg

P

PS. I see you've gone all DCC. Might see you at Manchester?

Edited by Porcy Mane

Hi Martin, 

99% certain were at milepost 9¼ heading toward Annfield Plain. There was a good deal of open casting around the Consett area at the time of the phot and I can remember seeing a hopper and loading arrangement in Consett station Yard about 1979 but never saw it in use.

Bob Young was just starting to build up his open cast coal businesses around the Consett area about this time. He used the ex NCB loco shed at Leadgate as a garage and eventually took over Leadgate school as offices. I can't remember when it started but he had a large opencast site that included a drift, directly opposite Leadgate industrial estate but this may have been later than the photo.

It's just a theory but that could be opencast coal and if so it's destination could possibly be Wardley via Tyne Yard.

attachicon.gifBantling Castle.JPG

P

PS. I see you've gone all DCC. Might see you at Manchester?

Porcy,

Google Earth shows the tall mast to be WSW of the lattice structures, confirming that the train is heading away from Consett, as you say.

Regards,

Roy

John

It couldn't be the roofs of a couple of lineside buildings, could it? If not, then perhaps it's coke heading from Consett?

• 2 weeks later...
Courtesy of Stephen McGahon, here's a shot of 37078 (ironically names Teesside Steelmaster) at Villa Real, Leadgate with a track lifting train on 26th September 1984.  As I understand it, this was the very last train to leave Consett as the rail was being lifted directly behind the train.

28fb.jpg

John

• Like 2

Courtesy of Stephen McGahon, here's a shot of 37078 (ironically names Teesside Steelmaster) at Villa Real, Leadgate with a track lifting train on 26th September 1984.  As I understand it, this was the very last train to leave Consett as the rail was being lifted directly behind the train.

28fb.jpg

John

And with black clouds to match the mood of the occasion.