The Tyne dock Consett thread.

Two new shots from a new contributor to my site, John Atkinson who was based at Tyne Yard and traversed the Consett line many times.

Secondly, and rather unusually for the line, a 47 47311 (this is only the second photo I've ever seen of a 47 on the line and the only only prior to closure): http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/47311-9P31-Consett-low-yard-21-2-79-The-snow-did-not-stay-white-for-long-up-there-John-Atkinson.jpg

John
  • Like 2

Cheers for that Porcy.......make an interesting scenario when we get done!!

Didn't think you'd be going that late? So might we see some diesels?

You could create this blockade with a very youthful looking member of your team taking centre stage.

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/show/3787/MMRTC

P

Two new shots from a new contributor to my site, John Atkinson who was based at Tyne Yard and traversed the Consett line many times.

Secondly, and rather unusually for the line, a 47 47311 (this is only the second photo I've ever seen of a 47 on the line and the only only prior to closure): http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/47311-9P31-Consett-low-yard-21-2-79-The-snow-did-not-stay-white-for-long-up-there-John-Atkinson.jpg

John
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is 32 years ago today that the last passenger train ran to Consett and, to commemorate the event here are three new, superb, pics from Stephen McGahon:

First up 46026 runs round it's train at Consett:

running-round.jpg

An overall view of the station, not the old coal drops in the foreground:

sta.-yard-view.jpg

And last but certainly not least, the train rounding Brooms Curve:

Brooms-curve.jpg

John
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Three superb, if rather depressing photos from Stephen McGahon taken on the day (25 September 1984) that Consett lost it's connection to the rest of the rail network as 37270 leads the final train to leave Consett with the track, literally, being lifted up from behind the train as it passed...

Consett-25-9-84-37270.jpg

Consett-25-9-84-lifting.jpg

Consett-disconnected-25-9-84.jpg

John
  • Like 9

Is Leadgate bridge still standing? I haven't been up there since I cycled past it last autumn.

Would that bus garage be the old Venture depot? I was working for Northern buses at the central works about the time those pics were taken and a couple of the blokes there were ex Venture and not long transferred down from Consett. Both called Davey I seem to remember.

Much like in railways the old loyalties died hard and they were both Venture men forever ha ha

Just to the right of the Leadgate bridge in the second photo is the old NCB shed which is still in use and, once the bridge has gone, it will be just about the last structure in the area that had anything to do with the railway...

John

Another wonderfully depressing photo from Stephen McGahon, BSc Consett works Sentinel shunter No. 41 brings wagons of scrap from the demolition of the steelworks towards Consett Low Yard where a BR Class 37 will take over for the onward journey. June 1983.

img054.jpg

• Like 13

The tall structures standing right of centre are the blast furnace stoves, used to heat the incoming blast. There would have been three per furnace so nine in total.

Not a great photo, scanned from a small, grainy original it shows the Consett blast furnaces around 1950 from a similar angle. The three stoves serving the closest furnace are clearly seen.

post-6861-0-14763600-1464042655_thumb.jpeg

They had been rebuilt one by one during the 40's and 50's starting with the No.2 furnace in 1942 by Ashmore, Benson, Pease & Co. of Stockton on Tees, by then the country's leading blast furnace contractor. By the standards of modern post war furnaces, generally with hearths around 25', they were relatively modest in size with hearths around 20' diameter.

• Like 2