The Tyne dock Consett thread.

• RMweb Gold

More unusual traction courtesy of Stephen McGahon, as part of the Rail 150 celebrations in 1975, DMU railtours were run up the line to Consett.

First up on 6 September 1975, a 6 coach consist passes the site of Stella Gill sidings.

South-Pelaw-6-9-75-Rail-150-Tour.jpg

And on 13 September 1975, a DMU approaches Consett station.

Consett-13-9-75-Rail-150-Tour.jpg

John

I have a suspicion that I was on one of them trains.

• Like 5

I think I may have seen all the photographs currently online, I suppose I was hoping someone might have an odd photo amongst their collection that showed these stations in the background that they didn't think was worth publishing online.

Have you had a look on facebook? 

Unlikely source you might think but I'm a fan of the Darlaston and Wednesbury (West Midlands) railway scene and have found a few unpublished photos of the area by looking for the "history of Darlaston" and the "history of Wednesbury" on facebook.

The Wednesbury one has thousands of photos and is taking a while to trawl through but the railway photos are really interesting (to me at least).

There are some really excellent photos of ore trains and the Consett works / area in the current bookazine "Moving The Goods Part 4 Steel - Building the nation". There are both steam and diesel photos of  the area.

I got mine the other day from WH Smith's for £7.95 - well worth the price. Saw it in Sainsburys also today.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

There are some really excellent photos of ore trains and the Consett works / area in the current bookazine "Moving The Goods Part 4 Steel - Building the nation". There are both steam and diesel photos of  the area.

I got mine the other day from WH Smith's for £7.95 - well worth the price. Saw it in Sainsburys also today.

Brit15

Got a copy today, I've seen most of the pics of the Consett trains but the one on pages 72/73 is a beauty...

John

• 2 weeks later...

Brit15

It contains some good photos but also a few errors in the text and captions relating to steel making, the authors grasp of the topic is a bit loose.

It contains some good photos but also a few errors in the text and captions relating to steel making, the authors grasp of the topic is a bit loose.

Yes, I noticed the excellent colour photo across pages 68/69 describe  9F No 92249 heading through Leyland with a rake of standard BR hopper Wagons.

I've lived in Wigan alongside the WCML all my life and have never seen an iron ore train, loaded or empty. I reckon the photo is of an empty (northbound) Widnes to Long Meg Anhydrite train passing Euxton Junction. A regular service usually around 21 wagons long. The anhydrite wagons weren't standard hoppers either. The loaded (southbound) trains had sheets fitted over the loads. Anhydrite was used in the manufacture of sulphuric acid at Widnes. Nothing to do with Iron / Steel. There is a thread on these trains on this site.

Other than that, for me, it is an excellently illustrated book, well worth £7.95. It's very good for weathering / steel works environment modelling purposes.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

'Blast furnaces at Llanelly Steel Works' (p31), when referring to a cut-down saddle tank; there've never been any, as the works used to rely on a mixture of scrap and bought-in pig iron. The cut-locos worked on the 'Landing', which supplied raw materials to the open-hearth furnaces.

There are other niggling errors in text and captions in this volume, as well as in those dealing with parcels and sundries, coal and container traffic, but the photos more than make up for that.

• RMweb Gold

'Blast furnaces at Llanelly Steel Works' (p31), when referring to a cut-down saddle tank; there've never been any, as the works used to rely on a mixture of scrap and bought-in pig iron. The cut-locos worked on the 'Landing', which supplied raw materials to the open-hearth furnaces.

There are other niggling errors in text and captions in this volume, as well as in those dealing with parcels and sundries, coal and container traffic, but the photos more than make up for that.

I bought the first volume - and it had some good photos - but have bought none since because the text was so poor in that one as consequence of either ignorance or poor research (or both).

Here's a few shots of the iron ore trains over the years:

In steam days, 9F 92065 passes South Pelaw Junction on the way to Consett (photo copyright Roy Lambeth):

roy-lambeth-017-92065-08-07-66-south-pel

A sign of things to come with trials of a Class 24 on an ore train being banked by two Claytons (Class 17) (photo copyright Bill Watson):

24andclaytons-@southpelaw1.jpg

The Class 17s proved to be not up to the job so pairs of 24s became the norm.  Here we have 5103 and 5110 passing South Pelaw Junction in September 1970 (photo copyright Bill Jamieson):

700930_5103l.jpg

And, finally, in 1974 the older wagons were replaced with new tipplers and the 24s gave way to 37s.  Here we have 37006 & 37008 at South Pelaw with an ore train from Redcar (photo copyright Ernie Brack):

South_Pelaw37006_and-008_come_up_the_ban

and then, on 10 September 1980, the final train ran with 37053 and 37055 in charge:

6K60-Print-001.jpg

John
  • Like 12

I bought the first volume - and it had some good photos - but have bought none since because the text was so poor in that one as consequence of either ignorance or poor research (or both).

Some of the captions are almost as bad as the uncorrected ones you find on the Science Museum site. My current favourite is one from the volume dealing with containerisation; a view of assorted 4t containers very obviously on Conflat As is captioned as being 'A train of British containers is seen at Rotterdam Docks in 1962'; the photo is credited as being from the National Railway Museum/ Science and Society Picture Library. For what it's worth, I reckon the photo is of Southampton Western Docks, given it's an estuarine port, rather than an enclosed dock, and with the opposing shore being largely wooded.

• Like 1

I reckon the photo is of Southampton Western Docks, given it's an estuarine port, rather than an enclosed dock, and with the opposing shore being largely wooded.

I gave up correcting the NRM/SS Picture Library, despite continued requests from them update incorrect information. The captions on the website were just never corrected. No doubt the no staff/no budget/no time reasoning applies. Seems like inter department co-ordination isn't to good neither.

See: http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=British%20Transport%20Commission&objid=1996-7038_BTF_7410

I wonder what future generations of historians will think of the current crop when (If?) they discover the deliberate mistakes we've left for them.

The location is Parkstone Quay btw. The Martello Tower within the grounds of the old HMS Ganges can be clearly seen between two of the cranes.

Oops there goes me dropping a gooley for future generation's. Maybe I should have said the location is Harwich International.

Another corker is:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=York&objid=1997-7057_YOR_250&keywords=Milk+Tank

Now that's the NRM having us believe that LNER existed circa 1900.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I gave up correcting the NRM/SS Picture Library, despite continued requests from them update incorrect information. The captions on the website were just never corrected. No doubt the no staff/no budget/no time reasoning applies. Seems like inter department co-ordination isn't to good neither.

See: http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=British%20Transport%20Commission&objid=1996-7038_BTF_7410

I wonder what future generations of historians will think of the current crop when (If?) they discover the deliberate mistakes we've left for them.

The location is Parkstone Quay btw. The Martello Tower within the grounds of the old HMS Ganges can be clearly seen between two of the cranes.

Oops there goes me dropping a gooley for future generation's. Maybe I should have said the location is Harwich International.

Another corker is:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=York&objid=1997-7057_YOR_250&keywords=Milk+Tank

Now that's the NRM having us believe that LNER existed circa 1900.

P

Or even Parkeston Quay ;)

37070 & 37016 storm up the hill past Beamish Signal box with a loaded iron ore train for Consett on 20 June 1978 (photo copyright Stephen McGahon)

beamish-20-6-78-37079016.jpg

And another example of what is still visible if you know what you are looking for, the base of a relay cabinet at Stella Gill:

IMG_0228.jpg

John
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies if a repeat, found this one of a 1953 charter.:

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/show/3063/Steam-locomotive-92097

Cheers, Steve.

Cannot be 1953.......9F's didn't appear till 1954, and 92097 didn't enter service until June 1956, would be interested to know when it actually was though.

Edited by pete55

Cannot be 1953.......9F's didn't appear till 1954, and 92097 didn't enter service until June 1956, would be interested to know when it actually was though.

Pete,

10th April 1965. All the photographs/negs/transparencies of the late Mr Davies are "in trust".

P