RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

2 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

Success. I now have fully independent DCC switching of all directional lights. I used a Loksound 5 FX with AUX9 and 10 logic level outputs connected directly to the decoder pads so that I didn't need to mod the Caroline PCB. I used a LaisDCC amplifier circuit to bring these up to full power outputs and then I used the same circuit that switches Q2 - as in my traced diagrams in the above posts - to switch a positive voltage. By using Kapton tape to blank off the old contact pads and copper tape across the top to create new ones - and solder wires to from the "new" switched voltage outputs - it is fully reversible so no PCB mods at all. The small circuits/PCBs are "bundled" in with the decoder and speaker in the kitchen area which has a blind down on my Network Rail version so nothing can be seen.

I remembered to make AUX10 an output rather than a sensor input and then remapped the functions so it's not too many buttons!

Would you be able to show us with some photos of your handy work?

Here's how I did the additional functions. My earlier post shows how I just blanked the pads for the tail and markers so that one end used V+ and the other end used V1+. This mod blanks the whole of V+ and V1+ at one end and replaces it with a pad controlled by another decoder function, AND, replace the Q5 pad at the other end with a similar function.

Screenshot2023-09-06at16_20_42.png.525ae68ade2b0ff11911b961c15d2271.png

The two 0805 SMD resistors are soldered across the DIP pin holes, they are the perfect size! As you look at them the upper one is 22K (marked 223) and the lower is 2.2K (marked 222).

I was too eager to get it done to think about stopping to take pictures as I went and I don't want to keep taking it apart, but, I think these probably work a bit better.

The additional challenge was making sure the mapping of the outputs worked how I wanted them to! - and remembering to change the setting that has AUX10 as a wheel sensor input to get it to work....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SRman said:

No, I soldered the resistor directly to the bases of the pins for the motor connections. I kept the wires to the resistor long, and put heat shrink tubing on the bare wires so the decoder sits over the wires but cannot short out on them. The resistor was bent down slightly to hang in empty space, allowing for any heat dissipation to occur without touching any of the coach interior mouldings.

The resistor therefore was not connected so had no effect in acting a dummy load - the L1 and L2 conncections need linking together.

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The resistor therefore was not connected so had no effect in acting a dummy load - the L1 and L2 conncections need linking together.

If the decoder is connected to track power, and there is a resistance directly across its motor (i.e. brush) output terminals, then how is it not connected?

Edited by SRman
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, SRman said:
16 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

If the decoder is connected to track power, and there is a resistance directly across its motor (i.e. brush) output terminals, then how is it not connected?

Edited 3 hours ago by SRman

caroline.png.589405083e8724dca8afa9d9fa69f05c.png

The first drawing won't work & is what Butler is saying in image form 

The second image showing the L1 & L2 terminals linked & should work.

Image 3 shows an alternative connection for the resistor.

When I first read the original post, I read it be connected like image 1 & in that case Butler would be correct.

Upon further reading I understood the resistor to be connected directly to the decoder & if that is the way SRman understood it, then SRman is correct.

Thats my opinion, for what it's worth.

John

Edit the images were originally posted by Marcus-Jay

Edited by John ks
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John ks said:

caroline.png.589405083e8724dca8afa9d9fa69f05c.png

The first drawing won't work & is what Butler is saying in image form 

The second image showing the L1 & L2 terminals linked & should work.

Image 3 shows an alternative connection for the resistor.

When I first read the original post, I read it be connected like image 1 & in that case Butler would be correct.

Upon further reading I understood the resistor to be connected directly to the decoder & if that is the way SRman understood it, then SRman is correct.

Thats my opinion, for what it's worth.

John

The images are extremely useful: thanks for those. 

You understood correctly that I connected the resistor directly to the output pins from the decoder. 👍

Reading around the web 47-100 ohm is the value of resistors which seem to work as dummy loads so maybe Lais meant 56 not 560. In all cases there is a warning to remove the resistor once programmed. There is a suggestion on the Hornby forum of using a reed switch to isolate the resistor but given how easilly a knock causes the Hornby 4 wheelers to light that seems a bit risky to me.

• Like 1

Hello All,

I have a Caroline Inspection Saloon  in Network Rail Brunswick Green and I think it is superb as a Model.

I have now fitted a ESU LokPilot 5 Basic 59029 DCC decoder but, when I try to read it with my Hornby Railmaster Elink Controller to hopefully add it to my layout, I am getting nothing at all.

I have added the four Bachmann DRS coaches to my layout in the past with no issues.

I do remember with the Accurascale TPE Mk5 Driving Trailer after fitting a decoder I had to put a bit of pressure on to the top of it when it was on the programming track. I have tried this with Caroline, but no joy I'm afraid.

If anyone can help with advice, suggestions etc it will be much appreciated.

As for the Directional lights on or off issue discussed and hopefully resolved here, I shall be more than happy just to run with 37418 propelling her on my layout with leading lights on.

Look forward to your replies.

Kind regards RailHawk216.

• RMweb Gold

Mine did nothing on the programming track by itself (which I was expecting anyway as there no motor) I just put a chipped loco on the track with it to program the address onto the coach then took Caroline off and reprogrammed the loco back to its original address afterwards

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/09/2023 at 13:58, RailHawk216 said:

Hello All,

I have a Caroline Inspection Saloon  in Network Rail Brunswick Green and I think it is superb as a Model.

I have now fitted a ESU LokPilot 5 Basic 59029 DCC decoder but, when I try to read it with my Hornby Railmaster Elink Controller to hopefully add it to my layout, I am getting nothing at all.

I have added the four Bachmann DRS coaches to my layout in the past with no issues.

I do remember with the Accurascale TPE Mk5 Driving Trailer after fitting a decoder I had to put a bit of pressure on to the top of it when it was on the programming track. I have tried this with Caroline, but no joy I'm afraid.

If anyone can help with advice, suggestions etc it will be much appreciated.

As for the Directional lights on or off issue discussed and hopefully resolved here, I shall be more than happy just to run with 37418 propelling her on my layout with leading lights on.

Look forward to your replies.

Kind regards RailHawk216.

I have now managed to get my Caroline Inspection Saloon with an ESU LokPilot DCC decoder working correctly with all lighting functions working as the should. I now believe I made a mistake/mix up with the CV address. Thank you Big Jim for your response it got me to go through the set ups with more care and now I'm delighted with Caroline, especially running with 37418.

Kind regards.

• Like 2

Hi all 

So I've recently found time to put a Dapol imperium 1 into my Caroline,After testing on DC and found that all the lights work. Once the decoder was installed I tested all the functions and found that the search and step lights (f3 and f4) do not work. I've read all of the comments but not really found a clear answer. Please if someone could help it would be much appreciated thanks 

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying a LaisDCC stay alive on a Train-o-matic decoder in mine but it doesn't really seem to help that much with the lights flickering.

Dunno if theres some quirk of stay alives and lights because when you lift it off the track with the stay alive the lights stay on but they dim a little straight away as if the stay alive can't actually provide enough power for them.

On 17/09/2023 at 12:55, NORTHERNWAKEFIELD said:

Hi all 

So I've recently found time to put a Dapol imperium 1 into my Caroline,After testing on DC and found that all the lights work. Once the decoder was installed I tested all the functions and found that the search and step lights (f3 and f4) do not work. I've read all of the comments but not really found a clear answer. Please if someone could help it would be much appreciated thanks 

Interesting, as I installed a Dapol imperium 1 in my RT NSE observation saloon & F3 does indeed operate the step lights…..

Do you have the all the other lights on?