RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Not the average 37 plus Caroline pic...... (Must get on with my 98008 project.)

Ta to Big Jim for the heads up!

(My pic)

2308256Z0737418.jpg.e85af2c3ca3a4141603a21558691046b.jpg

I didn’t spot it was coupled up when I came into Carlise from wigton, just thought the MPV was stabled close, spotted the pipes connected when I came back out on the Pendolino heading south, certainly an interesting combo!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PeteScR said:

I have a daft question regarding operating this inspection saloon in DCC. I still can't get mine to work properly having tried 2 types of decoder.

Does Caroline need to be set up and lighting changed on a programme track or can it be done on the main? For example, if I have a loco address on my NCE power cab, and it is coupled to Caroline,  if I chose F0-4 I get sounds and horns etc from the loco, not lighting on Caroline.

Is there a video or detailed instruction somewhere on how to get this to work?

As you can probably guess I am a plug and play guy when it comes to DCC. :-)

Pete

My suggestion is to realign the functions that you need to operate on the same keys - not plug and play, unfortunately. I use JMRI Decoder Pro on a computer attached to my command station (an NCE Power Pro), which does make things easier than working out the necessary CVs.

Run the two as a consist, but for ease of use, activate the common function  in the consist settings on each decoder as well.

I recently had to try to match functions between a Heljan London Transport Bo-Bo electric (Sarah Siddons) and a Bachmann London Transport class 20 (Sir John Betjeman) to top and tail a train. To complicate things further, the electric has an ESU LokSound decoder while the class 20 has a Zimo sound decoder. The first function I had to swap around was the brake, originally on F2 on the class 20 but F5 on the electric - I made the class 20 use F5 for its brake function, so F2 became the horns, which matched the electric loco. Then I made sure that both functions worked in a consist, so using the consist address and selecting F5 applied the brakes on both locos. Likewise I made certain of the light functions match so that selecting them worked correctly for both locos (headlight on Sarah Siddons and tail lights on class 20, for example)

Now all of this is not for the faint-hearted or novice, so while that is the ideal solution, it is complex and takes a bit of working out as to what is needed. One thing you won't have to worry about with a class 37 and Caroline is speed-matching them. In my case, I had to do that as well seeing as both items are powered.

This might well be beyond your (Pete's) capabilities at present, but as you learn with DCC you might revisit the settings and functions. It will give you a new challenge! I hope this might help a few other people who are further round the learning curve with DCC. And apologies to Pete because that sounds a little like I am putting him down, although I swear that's not my intention. We all have to learn as we go. I am still blundering through some of this myself. 😅

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

This a is a better "double coupling" pic.... 

The first 68 south of Leicester on the MML?

I remember a few years ago 97302 had power issues and we didn’t have a lot of stock available, I think she pulled 6 coaches with Caroline going around Nottingham, another time was Caroline going to Cardiff to pick up a motorail coach. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

I remember a few years ago 97302 had power issues and we didn’t have a lot of stock available, I think she pulled 6 coaches with Caroline going around Nottingham, another time was Caroline going to Cardiff to pick up a motorail coach. 

37025 Cardiff Central.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Fordbank said:

Apart from being paired with Northern Belle liveried 57312 "Solway Princess", does anyone have any knowledge of  Caroline with other DRS liveried 57s?

( A quick trawl of Flickr and google has drawn a blank)

Thanks

57307 for starters.

DRS 57307 - 5Z02, Derby

57303 ' Pride of Carlisle' and 975025 'Caroline' at Knaresborough

57310 2Z02 Lostock Hall

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Is Caroline mainly used by DRS or does other TOCs use it?

Caroline is used by Network Rail.

DRS had the contract to provide traction power for quite a few years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

Can I ask everyone what manufacture figures for Caroline they have used? 

I think the driver and second man from Accurascale for the 92 will fit nicely. I plan on trying them tomorrow with some others that I just 3D printed.

1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

Anyone know of a source of OO gauge small catering items such as plates, cups, saucers, teapots etc.? I want to detail the interior of my Caroline.

At help much appreciated.

Andrew

DCC Concepts used to have such a thing, but I don't think they offer them any more.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Butler Henderson said:

Just to cover ebay and Paypal fees  seller would need to ask for at least £154.35. Obviously how much more than that is reasonable would down to a purchaser unless its someone who must have regardless of the cost.

Unless it's an ebay reduced fee weekend - such as this one..........

• Like 1

My NSE version arrived today. A quick check on DC showed all lights to be working, so I set about fitting a decoder. I managed to put a small scratch in the paintwork at one end of one side in getting the body off (annoying!), but fitted the recommended LAIS decoder, which reprogrammed OK using my NCE PowerCab, but could not be read back. The headcode/headlight at each end works directionally, and the interior lights work, but the searchlights don't work at all.

"Right", says I, "Let's try a Zimo decoder". I popped an MX634 in, and found exactly the same thing as far as which lights worked and which didn't, but at least the Zimo decoder can be read back by the PowerCab. When I tried to investigate a little further using JMRI Decoder Pro linked directly to my Power Pro system, but that doesn't appear to have enough "Oomph" to read the decoder settings. I then tried a cheaper Zimo MX638, which behaved identically to the MX634 (both conveniently have six function outputs). I tried switching each of the Zimo decoders from logic to power outputs (CV8 = 3 or 4 to toggle between the settings), with, again, no difference in behaviour.

I have stopped work on that for the moment, but tomorrow I'll hook up the PowerCab USB interface to the computer and try that with Decoder Pro, to see what is going on with the various outputs and function allocations.

I assume I'll have to go through the same things with the blue and grey version when it arrives, so if I can sort this one out, it will make things a lot easier when the other arrives.

Edited by SRman
  • Friendly/supportive 1