RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

Can anyone help? Having read through the posts here and saw that several members fitted a Lais 860019 decoder to Caroline, I opted to purchase one to fit to mine. However, I’m puzzled as the receiving holes in the decoder appear too large for the pins upon which the decoder sits. I’ve pushed the decoder on to the pins as far as it will go (it cannot physically sit any further on the receiving prongs), and yet it just falls off. I figured I’d tape it in place to see if the decoder would still function, but it didn’t - it was unable to be read. And yes, the decoder was fitted the correct way. 

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, staffordwolf said:

Can anyone help? Having read through the posts here and saw that several members fitted a Lais 860019 decoder to Caroline, I opted to purchase one to fit to mine. However, I’m puzzled as the receiving holes in the decoder appear too large for the pins upon which the decoder sits. I’ve pushed the decoder on to the pins as far as it will go (it cannot physically sit any further on the receiving prongs), and yet it just falls off. I figured I’d tape it in place to see if the decoder would still function, but it didn’t - it was unable to be read. And yes, the decoder was fitted the correct way. 

Hi there,

Have you emailed our customer support manager via the address in the instructions?  He will be happy to help you tomorrow.

cheers

Ben A.

38 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

Have you emailed our customer support manager via the address in the instructions?  He will be happy to help you tomorrow.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben.

I haven’t as I’m (at this point) assuming the decoder is the issue. My plan tomorrow, is to remove a decoder from a loco and try it in Caroline and take it from there.

I have however emailed the customer support manager for Rev.Trains this evening as my Caroline arrived missing a horn. I’m hoping a replacement can be sent 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, staffordwolf said:

Thanks Ben.

I haven’t as I’m (at this point) assuming the decoder is the issue. My plan tomorrow, is to remove a decoder from a loco and try it in Caroline and take it from there.

I have however emailed the customer support manager for Rev.Trains this evening as my Caroline arrived missing a horn. I’m hoping a replacement can be sent 

Is the chip definately the right way round? 

1 hour ago, derekdoestrains said:

Is the chip definately the right way round? 

Yep. Being 21 pin, it can only go one way. 

EDIT: I’ve managed to replace the Lais decoder with another one, and it’s fitted. However, like others on this forum, I’m not getting all the lighting functions to work. I’ve got cab ends and interior, but no search lights or step lights. Will go back through this thread to see if anyone found a fix with this particular decoder!

Edited by staffordwolf

On 13/08/2023 at 10:02, Tony Walker said:

I've used the Lais 860019 in the end, as per Butler Henderson above. As I said, I tried several decoders to try and get the upper lights and step lights to work, but they never did. So, I get the Lais 860019 and everything worked first time, I'm glad to say. The body now flies off it's been off and on that many times!

Hi. I’m using the same Lais decoder, yet cannot get the steps or search lights to work and cannot find a solution on here. A tad frustrating!

On 17/09/2023 at 12:55, NORTHERNWAKEFIELD said:

Hi all 

So I've recently found time to put a Dapol imperium 1 into my Caroline,After testing on DC and found that all the lights work. Once the decoder was installed I tested all the functions and found that the search and step lights (f3 and f4) do not work. I've read all of the comments but not really found a clear answer. Please if someone could help it would be much appreciated thanks 

Hi. I’ve got the same problem with a Lais 860019 which I believe is essentially the same decoder. Did you find a fix for getting the search and step lights to work? I’ve emailed Digitrains where I got the decoder from and Revolution Trains in the hope they may be able to offer some guidance

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2023 at 11:10, Denny said:

Well, after a good sleep and fresh eyes. I've revisited things.  Turns out I'm denser than I thought - you only need to tape over the F & R contact pads on the CB or you render all the lights inoperable.  

After taping over the correct pads, I can confirm the model IS compatible with the Hornby 21-Pin HM7000 chip and all the lighting functions work correctly.

There's also plenty of room for a  speaker in the kitchen! So, my Caroline currently sounds like a Deltic but with the engine switched off, the horns and air release sounds work well. I guess the VEP profile will be more suited when it releases next year. 

Oh, and during my momentary bolt of genius, I also swapped the polarity of the layout. There's no stopping me now! 

Revolution kindly responded to my email regarding the missing horn with a note to say one has been put in the post. Wonderful service! 

Quick phone vid. Swapped the profile to the class 73 although I think I prefer the Deltic horns. The 37 currently has the class 31 profile installed, whilst I wait for Hornby to release their 37 profile. 

I can do a sound file for it if you can source recordings 

Im having issues with the lighting on mine. Anyone else?

F0(f) on the decoder is for some reason switching both the head&tail light on at one end.

the other end is dead, however search lights work.

Aux 2 also has no affect on the tail lamps.

unless i have a faulty PCB i cant see what else could be doing it. Really wierd.

im using a Loksound V5 to play with it so have tried all sorts of AUX combos with no luck.

as i understand it it should be as standard mapping wise, yet this is whats going on with mine

F0 (f) - front lights (headlight & tail light one end)

F0 (r) - rear lights (nothing working)

F1 - Aux1 (interior lights, working)

F1 - Aux2 (nothing working)

F3 - Aux 3 (footstep lights, working)

F4 - Aux 4 (search lights, working)

50E17F4E-E0CE-498E-A70B-47F7B5AB38A6.jpeg

Edited by Erixtar1992
  • Like 2

Ive got a blue/ grey caroline, ive fitted it with a lais 860019 after putting the chip in a loco to re address it to no4. All dip switches are on but no lights at all? Ive had a read through the thread but no luck with the methods. Have i got a duffer or is there something ive missed?

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

If anyone is having issues with their models please email the support address in the instructions and our customer services manager Simon will endeavour to assist.  He will also identify if these are faults with the model in which case we can rectify.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/10/2023 at 19:33, Revolution Ben said:

Hi all,

There is more information about the N decorated samples on the Revolution Trains news page.

cheers

Ben A.

N gauge livery samples - Network SouthEast

Viewed the NSE saloon and note that this N gauge sample displays the correct NSE branding - the letter ‘t’ is squared off. The letter spacing also looks better so really looking forward to this model arriving in 2024.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

I've probably missed out on one from the first batch. Hopefully there will be a second run and I can get one then. 

You haven't missed out yet on the N gauge model, they are in the Revolution web site with the order book open.

Orders close 31st December 2023, so you have just a few days left.

5 hours ago, Brian-1c said:

You haven't missed out yet on the N gauge model, they are in the Revolution web site with the order book open.

Orders close 31st December 2023, so you have just a few days left.

Perhaps, although I'm after one in 00 as I don't really have the dexterity for N gauge. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Im sure ive seen on this where guys are chipping the coach and assigning them the same address as the loco, with NCE i would think you could just add the two with the consist function as if its just a double headed loco to run together,is this only on NCE as its all ive used and its handy to run multiple headed locos without changing address to match them up.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Im sure ive seen on this where guys are chipping the coach and assigning them the same address as the loco, with NCE i would think you could just add the two with the consist function as if its just a double headed loco to run together,is this only on NCE as its all ive used and its handy to run multiple headed locos without changing address to match them up.

NCE have two types of consisting, advanced and old.

With "old" you can only have two locos and the actual pairing is done in the controller.  

Advanced sets a CV on the loco and  two or more can be controlled together.

Lenz is the same, but they call them DH for double head and MU for two locos or more.

Don't know about other systems.

In advanced/MU mode,  you can set CVs on the decoders as to which functions are controlled with F keys. I.e. a single F key will change all locos.

But, in both types of consisting,you if you have directional headlights, you need to have the ability to turn off the "inner" set of headlights. 

Reversing can be a pain, lots of keys to press.

As I use my Caz with a dedicated 37, I've isolated the inner lights on both. ( tape over contacts) and called them the same address. Change direction ant the "outer" lights of the 37 and saloon changeover. No messing with extra F keys.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1