Identifying A Mystery Shed Location

SP Steve

I've been tasked with the disposal of someone's railway collection amongst which was a slide depicting the interior of a shed. There was no details on the mount and I haven't a clue but on scanning I can see it's four 8Fs, the one on the left nearest the camera carries the numbers 4868x on the cabside (the last digit being unreadable).

The original owner was a native of Sheffield and it strikes me as showing Midland overtones so may be in that area - it might prove impossible to verify but it might evoke a memory so who knows.

Edited by SP Steve

Looks L&Y or LNWR to me. One of the sheds with the replacement longitudinal roofs after they had replaced the old Northlight type.

It's not Southport, but that had a similar roof and is a good example.

spacer.png

Photo RuthAS from Wikipedia

So you are looking for a largish LMR shed which had 8Fs probably in the Yorkshire area.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photo in the OP, it looks like at least a 6-road shed, although this doesn't id the shed, it might rule a few out?

• Thanks 1

Having seen the suggestion by 'Steamport Southport' made me take a look at my photo albums. I have a fairly large collection of pictures of Heaton Mersey shed and one of the views is taken from almost the same spot, although not on the same day. So yes it is Heaton Mersey. The 8F at the back of the shed on the right has, what appears to be, a 'painted' 9(F?) shed plate. 

I have a copy of the Foxline book 'Heaton Mersey motive power depot' by Michael S. Stokes which gives a list of the locos on the last day of steam, one of which is 48687. Same loco nearest the camera?

I would post the picture I mentioned above but don't want to breach any copyright.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes. Most probably Heaton Mersey then.

Not that far for the photographer to travel to if he was from Sheffield.

Jason

T'were t'other side o't Pennines lad, a reet long way to go in't 60's.

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

T'were t'other side o't Pennines lad, a reet long way to go in't 60's.

Mike.

I used to call in there frequently while cycling between university in Sheffield and home in Prescot - it was always a very friendly shed.