OO Gauge MBA's + MCA's out now!

DapolDave

in the toP view on hattons pics page, the sides of the model seem to be fairly thick, about 3-4mm. Is this correct, are the sides around a ft thick on the real thing or is it an impersonation of the mk1 Hornby coalfish?

I have to say its not something i think will spoil the look of the model for me, well i hope!

I suspect that's always going to happen (at least to some extent) when it's a steel-sided wagon with flat tops to the sides, on the real thing the sides between the ribs will be the thickness of a bit of sheet steel, that would be paper-thin on a model - so you either have to make the sides thicker than reality or the ribs shallower to compensate...

"Proper" coalfish (like Hornby's second attempt) and similar have an angled bit along the tops of the sides which goes some way towards disguising it I guess...

It might just be the photo? Will see when my two arrive.

I just hope it does not put people off (once seen) as I for one are very happy Dapol have finally gone into rtr modern image, well stuff that suits my EWS period.

Just looking forward to the bullets and what ever else is done?

I asked about them doing this (modern image) a few years ago when dealing with limited editions but at that time they were getting lots of steam era limited edition orders and such. Perhaps they have realised the on the whole, the modern image modeller runs block trains so will not be buying one or two wagons but rakes of 6 -20!

Hope the do some coaches soon, something different though.

Have you had yours yet Beast? I just think the mba rake being hauled by a 60 is going to look very nice.

Will agree that its good to see Dapol producing the MBA's,doesn't seem long since they first announced them, looking forward to building up a set of these for a scrap train. Is it just me though? the bogies don't look right ( purely based on the pics on Hattons website), they don't capture the look of the prototype to me, some of the angles and details look out, maybe a look at them in the flesh may change that, Hopefully!

cheers

Chris

Hmmm having collected an order of each of the wagons today from the wholesaler on behalf of trains12, I have had a look at the models and my opinion is slightly disappointed. There appears to be no representation of the underside flanges on the underframe and the main underframe 'spine' has four oval holes, two at each end of the wagon. I don't recall seeing these on the real wagons? Intrigued I took a comparison photo of the Dapol MCA and a almost completed Hurst Models MCA to compare the underframes. I'm just showing you the facts so please form your own opinions from the photo. Hurst kit at top and Dapol model at bottom.

Paul

post-6706-1256930551848_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm having collected an order of each of the wagons today from the wholesaler on behalf of trains12, I have had a look at the models and my opinion is slightly disappointed. There appears to be no representation of the underside flanges on the underframe and the main underframe 'spine' has four oval holes, two at each end of the wagon. I don't recall seeing these on the real wagons? Intrigued I took a comparison photo of the Dapol MCA and a almost completed Hurst Models MCA to compare the underframes. I'm just showing you the facts so please form your own opinions from the photo. Hurst kit at top and Dapol model at bottom.

Paul

Thanks for posting those, certainly makes up my mind which way to go for mine, will definitely be Bachmann for the MBAs

Paul

Thanks for posting those, certainly makes up my mind which way to go for mine, will definitely be Bachmann for the MBAs

Hmm... Dapol MBA ... Bogies that do not look like the real thing, chunky hand brake wheel, disappointing underframe details, large holes for buffers, side ribs look too wide ... I think I will give up looking at this 'model' ... it's not looking good ... probably a good bet going for the Bachmann Rich!

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, with the cut down MCA/MDA versions (and the similar MOA)

Would it be expected to see a mixture of all 3 types in a rake, or could you get away with mostly using the MOA (given that one would expect it would be to the same standard as the MBA, so you'd expect it to be pretty good)

Just trying to work out my requirments...

Out of interest, with the cut down MCA/MDA versions (and the similar MOA)

Would it be expected to see a mixture of all 3 types in a rake, or could you get away with mostly using the MOA (given that one would expect it would be to the same standard as the MBA, so you'd expect it to be pretty good)

Just trying to work out my requirments...

We discussed this in June 2008 on the DEMU forum Rich ...

Originally used as MCA-MDA-MDA-MDA-MCA as MCA have swing head couplers and buffers and MDA are buckeye fitted but do not have buffers. MOA are also buffer fitted but with conventional drawgear so mixed rakes are often seen on the prototype ... you'll need to get them in the correct formation on your models! :icon_biggrin:

I have seen MOAs on their own in trains without MCA/MDA in the consist, but not often.

The underside is not too important for me. Could you do a comparison side by side on the tracks from above and the side please?

Maybe not, but it does seem odd that three kit manufacturers (S-Kits, Hurst Models and InterCity Models) and Bachmann have all managed to model the flange detail on the underside yet Dapol either haven't bothered or didn't realise this detail was present on the real wagons. I will take some more photos tomorrow when I have another look at them.

Paul

I reckon the MCA looks good enoguh for me, after all no RTR product will be Perfect, To me the bogies dont look right but for me thats a small job im more than happy to complete if needed! Regarding the underside I think the spacing of the ribs will only be apprent when looking at the wagon side on, but it really depends on the angle you or the layout audience are looking at it ... its a shame the MBA may be surplus to requirements otherwise id be in for some! certain capture the look well, and have more detail than the Dapol counterpart, but then again Dapol have to be applauded for entering the Modern RTR wagon market after mainly doing steam era wagons for years now!

If anyone one of you guys could post up some pics, thatd be good

NL

"Proper" coalfish (like Hornby's second attempt) and similar have an angled bit along the tops of the sides which goes some way towards disguising it I guess...

How can the early (incorrect) Coalfish be distinguished when buying online, did they have a different catalogue number?

Thanks