Tanyglaslyn - the latest project. (The thread formally known as Lockdown Projects)

A bit more landscaping work done this afternoon. I am going for an early autumn look so there is plenty of berries and heather starting to appear, although some of this is lost to the background that is the garden. Just some phone snaps like the others in some lovely light this afternoon.

IMG_20230820_165033054.jpg

IMG_20230820_165048425.jpg

IMG_20230820_165127784.jpg

IMG_20230820_165121367.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Karl the work and modelling you have put into the micro layout build is just brilliant. I love the colours of the rock faces and cottages. The foliage work is spot on, well done.👍

Thankyou very much. The natural light helps quite a bit I think, there is still quite a lot of work to do. The rocks/rock faces are just a layer of dark grey spray paint, then a pass over with a light grey spray paint followed by numerous washes of different shades of grey, brown, yellow, black and a small random wash of red. Then lots of re-going over. I can't really take any credit for the cottages as these are Bachmann Scenecraft and apart from where I have wiped spillage of a wash off them are straight from the box. The foliage is a mix of primotrees birch trees (cut up to give me bushes) and bushes. With the grasses, berry flock and heather being from the WorldWar Scenics range of static grasses and heather clumps built up in layers. 

I want to add a few more bushes and trees in to the scene and then it'll be on to the river and creating the cottage gardens. The station building has had some washes but requires much more work yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Karl seafoam is excellent stuff to model trees and bushes with. The trees look just right on the edge of the rock face.

I agree re: sea foam although this will be the first time I've used it and spent some time doing it properly with flocks and sprays. The bushes in the rock faces and along the top are actually Primotrees Birch trees that I've cut up having bought the wrong size for use on the model (they were more 0 gauge scale!). Very happy with the Peco announcement of Welsh Pony and Palmerston for use on this too.

• 3 months later...
On 15/12/2023 at 08:44, Andrew D said:

Absolutely stunning, Karl 👍

That's very kind Andrew. Progress on this has stalled since I put those last photos up but given the forecast for the Christmas break from work I may find plenty of time to add more to it.

With the ballast having to be patched up and drying the Dremel was used to extract the sections I want from the slate processing building for this next project. Some nasty phone snaps attached. The plan is a small Canal side wharf with the fiddle yard also on the same board but with potential for future expansion. It's another 22ltr baseboard build!

20231228_190904.jpg

20231228_191037 copy.jpg

20231228_191026 copy.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 3

With the resin water still drying on the other side but the station nameboard now in place and the water tower plumbed in 3  cruel phone photos of the first trial of a Double Fairlie through Tanyglaslyn.

Hopefully this weather will break and I'll be able to get it outside again.

20231229_151102 copy 2.jpg

20231229_151215 copy.jpg

20231229_151110.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

Posted (edited)

A preservation scene with Hunslet 2-4-0STT 'Linda' picking up the glint arriving at Tanyglaslyn above the slate workers cottages. 

Tanyglaslyn-7.1.24-Glinting-arrival.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on Porth Nadolig, not too much visual progress but all the point motors finally work, two of the four would only work in one direction. No idea what was wrong with one, totally stripped from the board and wired in an independent circuit with the same wires and it worked, refitted and it worked. The other turned out was some damaged peso wiring looms. Anyway all works now.

So beside that, progress since last time is the building have had windowsills and window frame added and some quoins added to them. Canal boat arrived and given a base coat of black.

20240121_162420.jpg

20240121_162638.jpg

20240121_163133.jpg

20240121_162959.jpg

Edited by Karl
  • Like 8

No real visual progress as mainly been doing the lighting today and giving the base some basic colour, that keeps seeping into the Cork. Anyway the only visual change is the door framing on the Slate processing building to hide the crude cuts when cutting down to size, surprising level it turned out when gluing the wooden strips on it. Any door will be on the inside but I'm not sure it needs it actually.

Anyway, clearances being checked by Blanche and some Nigel Brooks rubble trucks.

20240128_192833.jpg

• Like 5