Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bad news for York drinkers

steve1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2020 at 10:34, steve1 said:

One of the city's finest pubs (and it has a lot), Brigantes is to close the York Press reports.

A sad day. :(

steve

That's not good news,  we us that when lodging up there

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Landlord wouldn't help during the Pandemic (from someone in the trade). The same Group have another of their pubs "East of Arcadia" in Leeds for sale

On 23/06/2020 at 20:43, AndrewC said:

Sh*t. Brigantes was probably the best bar in York for Belgian beers. 

My local and so much more than a pub. Wonderful real ale and a brilliant choice of food. Relaxing or more formal. Happy place for a quick pint with Julie going home from shopping or for a session discussing wagons with Mark and others. I am at a loss to think of a suitable alternative. 

So sorry for the ever helpful staff. 

Not a covid loss, more to do with York gentrification it, with the old York brewery, will soon be flats. Landlord pulled the plug. 

Paul Bartlett 

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, 96701 said:

Acorn?

Good as a pub but dark, uncomfortable with a pub menu. Brigantes had several different environments and uses. Lovely sitting in an armchair in the sun watching the world pass on micklegate with a pint the staff recommended because they knew your taste. 

Julie's reaction when Mark told us was Nooooooooo. 

Our other hangout is the Viccy vaults and as a music venue I can't see us back in there soon. 

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

Good as a pub but dark, uncomfortable with a pub menu. Brigantes had several different environments and uses. Lovely sitting in an armchair in the sun watching the world pass on micklegate with a pint the staff recommended because they knew your taste. 

Julie's reaction when Mark told us was Nooooooooo. 

Our other hangout is the Viccy vaults and as a music venue I can't see us back in there soon. 

Paul

Fox?

https://www.ossett-brewery.co.uk/pubs/fox-york

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, no Tetleys in the Fox, what is the world coming to. When I worked in the carriageworks each dinnertime the bar would be full of pints ready for the rush of thirsty engineers clocking off for their break. Three or four pints then back for a snooze in one of the carriages with an apprentice on foreman spotting duty at the end with instructions to hammer on the buffers if he spotted the enemy coming over the horizon.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 96701 said:

Sorry, you don't get it. The fox is a nice Pub. Too far out of town for the walk home. But brigantes wasn't a pub. Bistro is the best description. York has many pubs, many cafes, many restaurants but I'm not awarr of anywhere else that combines them and more. 

Oh yes and 100s of beers every year. 

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Sorry, you don't get it. The fox is a nice Pub. Too far out of town for the walk home. But brigantes wasn't a pub. Bistro is the best description. York has many pubs, many cafes, many restaurants but I'm not awarr of anywhere else that combines them and more. 

Oh yes and 100s of beers every year. 

Paul

I do get it, I was only trying to help in what is a very disappointing situation.

11 hours ago, 96701 said:

I do get it, I was only trying to help in what is a very disappointing situation.

Sorry didn't mean to be unpleasant. The house of trembling madness is a possible but it's not comfortable like brigantes 

Paul 

Many years ago (early 80's) mates and I would drive over to York on a Friday afternoon, set up tent at the Rawcliffe Manor camp site to the north of town and enjoy a couple of days on the town. Many very nice pubs back then. the pint of Tetley bitter in The Bootham Bar was to die for. We were going to go over this summer on the new Trans Pennine Express loco hauled to visit both the railway museum & The Bootham - sadly on hold due to Covid - perhaps next year !!! (I hope the Bitter is still good) .

Yorkshire pubs we frequented whilst watching the many away matches with Wigan Rugby in mid 80's / early 90's always had good beer - The Early Bath Castleford (upstairs opened up specially when Wigan played), The Wappy Spring near  Huddersfield, a pub in Wakefield with the wind blowing coal dust onto your pint, The Skyrack (strange name) and Oak Tree at Headingley, various pubs in Hull, Hell, & Halifax etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy days.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo

5 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Many years ago (early 80's) mates and I would drive over to York on a Friday afternoon, set up tent at the Rawcliffe Manor camp site to the north of town and enjoy a couple of days on the town. Many very nice pubs back then. the pint of Tetley bitter in The Bootham Bar was to die for. We were going to go over this summer on the new Trans Pennine Express loco hauled to visit both the railway museum & The Bootham - sadly on hold due to Covid - perhaps next year !!! (I hope the Bitter is still good) .

Yorkshire pubs we frequented whilst watching the many away matches with Wigan Rugby in mid 80's / early 90's always had good beer - The Early Bath Castleford (upstairs opened up specially when Wigan played), The Wappy Spring near  Huddersfield, a pub in Wakefield with the wind blowing coal dust onto your pint, Hull, Hell, Halifax etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy days.

Brit15

Sadly the Early Bath is but a pile of bricks awaiting the long term redevelopment !of the area. Younger brother was thetreasurer in those days. A good visit from Wigan, Hull and especially Halifax just about covered the running cost for the whole year. A Wigan postponement with a mid week replay meant another round of raffles!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The rack was a pub to avoid when I arrived in Leeds as a student in the mid 70s. I has a relative in the Police in the area. His words to me were "if I arrive unexpectedly at that pub get out PDQ..he was in the drugs and vice squad.

The Original Oak or just the Oak was  the scene of a few boozy nights as a student.. the manager was a strange guy.. we found out about a new glue.. it was super for gluing glasses to 5ables!

Both have changed a lot over the years. The bowling green at the Oak is now an outside big screen..the rack was gutted and rebuilt. Neither have a proper locals snug anymore.

Baz

• Like 1