More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, David C said:

How about one of the industrials which also ran on light railways?  Hudswell Clarke and Manning Wardle 0-6-0STs and 0-6-0Ts are the obvious ones, but there are others. Minerva have provided examples in 0 gauge, so there is a market on 00 which could well be widened somewhat.

Incidentally, does anyone think the OP is still reading this thread after 86 pages of us lot woffling on about what we want?

David C

We're always reading :)

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Kelly said:

Plenty of industrial designs for battery,  electric,  diesel and steam (and even petrol).

True, but they also aren't the mainstream BR diesels that is the mainstay of much of the market and has fewer options left.

7 hours ago, Kelly said:

The Hornby pecketts and 48ds as well as the sentinel have been some of their more popular releases in recent years. 

Full credit to Hornby for taking the risk and getting the reward.

But there is a danger in reading too much into their success - it is easy to be popular when you are the only one in the market.

Now that the viability is established and as others bring product in (as noted by another poster) then you end up with a smaller potential sales as you are all splitting the available interest - while hopefully also growing that interest.  But it likely will remain a much smaller market than the more mainstream steam/diesel market is.

7 hours ago, Kelly said:

Certainly an area for the smaller makers to exploit as there's so many options available to choose from and their unlikely to be copied by the bigger names. 

I don't think Accurascale can be considered a small maker at this point, they are (in terms of new tooling announcements - it takes time to build up an inventory of tooling for re-releases) up there with Rapido/Bachmann/Hornby.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Full credit to Hornby for taking the risk and getting the reward.

Aye, and I wonder who had to stand their ground there against the naysayers internally to make sure that they both came to market 😉

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, mdvle said:

I don't think Accurascale can be considered a small maker at this point, they are (in terms of new tooling announcements - it takes time to build up an inventory of tooling for re-releases) up there with Rapido/Bachmann/Hornby.

I completely agree regarding portfolio, but in terms of actual new toolings it would be interested to see a league table as such of how many toolings have been done/announced since Accurascale came onto the scene. They must be near the top of the table. They almost certainly will with wagons, Bachmann and Hornby are far quieter on this front, especially Hornby with modern stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I completely agree regarding portfolio, but in terms of actual new toolings it would be interested to see a league table as such of how many toolings have been done/announced since Accurascale came onto the scene. They must be near the top of the table. They almost certainly will with wagons, Bachmann and Hornby are far quieter on this front, especially Hornby with modern stuff.

Though the converse is also true, with only the Dia. 1/107 minerals from AS that really fit my late-fifties to early-sixties South West England scenario.

if one goes back to say, a couple of years before nature started fighting back, and consider steam-era wagons, Bachmann and Hornby have shown more activity. SR cattle wagons and a number of new/new-tooled brake vans from H and several BR-built wagon types that outlived steam from B, albeit often as commissions. 

However, the current chart-topper for steam-era wagons (produced and announced) must indisputably be Rapido.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

We have delivered the HUO, PCV and HAA all of which ran with steam and we provided suitably decorated and fitted versions, then the MDo/v and Coil A and the Chaldrons which land this week are the very original steam hauled stock (horse hauled originally :) )

I’m sure it’s not a shock to confirm that more steam era stock will be announced before year end, and more modern era, and a few surprises :) 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, McC said:

We have delivered the HUO, PCV and HAA all of which ran with steam and we provided suitably decorated and fitted versions, then the MDo/v and Coil A and the Chaldrons which land this week are the very original steam hauled stock (horse hauled originally :) )

I’m sure it’s not a shock to confirm that more steam era stock will be announced before year end, and more modern era, and a few surprises :) 

No offence or deliberate omission intended, which is why I mentioned my chronological and geographical limitations/prejudices. I may even have missed something useful, as TOPS codes go straight over my head!

Whilst many purchasers like to buy "all-sorts", considerations of finance and/or space induce many of us to be more focussed. It therefore matters not what anybody makes, individual models inevitably appeal differently to individual modellers.

There will, for instance, be many for whom SR cattle wagons (Hornby) are of little or no benefit, just  as your excellent Chaldrons and other wagons representative of the more industrialised parts of our nation are of limited use for my own purposes. 

Regards

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I realise this would be difficult with so many different types throughout the country and no standardisation but what about trams? Also probably not a huge seller to make them profitable- just talked myself out of it too-!

14 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

I would have thought an up to date, all singing and dancing, GWR Hawksworth County

would be a good bet. Probably the most neglected GWR 4 6 0 in RTR. The old Dapol 

model is well past it. 

Certainly a good choice and probably a smallish class with few differences in the individual class members. Were they all double chimneyed ? I guess there were tender swaps. 

The ex LMS class 8F would need to be prior to another ex GWR 4-6-0 though !!! And they would need the Fowler as well as welded and riveted Stanier tenders !!!

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not been on here for awhile but with the rise of the EFE London Transport 38 Tube Stock, Heljan Metropolitan loco and numerous Bachmann 57xx Panniers, would not a Metropolitan Railway/LT 4-4-0 E Class be a contender.

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Not been on here for awhile but with the rise of the EFE London Transport 38 Tube Stock, Heljan Metropolitan loco and numerous Bachmann 57xx Panniers, would not a Metropolitan Railway/LT 4-4-0 be a contender.

Certainly if anybody wanted something that could be offered in several pre-group liveries.

They became a standard Beyer Peacock product and (IIRC) Metropolitan ones also found new owners in later life.

Didn't the Cambrian even convert a couple to tender locos?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

On 21/08/2022 at 11:26, Covkid said:

Certainly a good choice and probably a smallish class with few differences in the individual class members. Were they all double chimneyed ? I guess there were tender swaps. 

The ex LMS class 8F would need to be prior to another ex GWR 4-6-0 though !!! And they would need the Fowler as well as welded and riveted Stanier tenders !!!

No tender swaps as the tenders were a different width than the normal ones. Six inches wider.

First one had a double chimney and the rest had singles. Then the singles were replaced with double. Later BR fitted a different style of double chimney.

Funnily enough the first batch were started as 8Fs. The boilers were already under construction when the order was cancelled. They virtually had a modified 8F boiler which is why the new build is using an 8F boiler. Something the Dapol model got wrong is it has a Castle boiler....

Jason

• Like 2

I have said a few of these before but feel like its a massive gap in the market...

FCA Intermodal flats... EWS or DB branded options with the amount of different options that went on top would cover a wealth of options too. They have been used on waste, container, MOD traffic etc and cover 20 years + so would be good for a range of modellers over that time and cover most of the country. 

Another must (that Dapol dropped the ball on!) is the MLA wagons. EWS, de-branded EWS, Network Rail (2 types of logo arrangement), and Metronet/GBRF... there is rarely an engineering ballast train in the last 10-12 years without these in... a must as well if you already have the JNA falcons... They get all over the country so also have wide appeal and mix with existing RTR offerings...

and my 3rd and final (wildcard!) request (I maybe a little biased on this one due to my layout location but...) - LUL 1992 Stock. x2 variants possible with pre and post refurbishment around 2012. Covers 30 years of time in service and several locations where these run along side national rail. If the Bachmann S-stock and more recent EFE 38 stock is anything to go by these would prove very popular too. On top of that we would see something amazing if Accurascale were to produce one; with their level of detail and class, and an area not really covered in RTR form, I think it would prove hugely popular... and maybe achieve something in a small yet nifty outcome - again something that I do not think has been achieved yet - something I feel EFE's latest attempt on the 38 stock was good but I feel could have been done even better in this area by Accurascale. 

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, WCML100 said:

and my 3rd and final (wildcard!) request (I maybe a little biased on this one due to my layout location but...) - LUL 1992 Stock. x2 variants possible with pre and post refurbishment around 2012. Covers 30 years of time in service and several locations where these run along side national rail. If the Bachmann S-stock and more recent EFE 38 stock is anything to go by these would prove very popular too. On top of that we would see something amazing if Accurascale were to produce one; with their level of detail and class, and an area not really covered in RTR form, I think it would prove hugely popular... and maybe achieve something in a small yet nifty outcome - again something that I do not think has been achieved yet - something I feel EFE's latest attempt on the 38 stock was good but I feel could have been done even better in this area by Accurascale. 

I wonder if something to run alongside the tripcock-fitted Brush 2 and non-gangwayed Mk1s might be a more appropriate venture onto the Underground? I'm no LU expert, but A60 or even CO/CP stock perhaps.  The latter has tons of character and I was surprised to find out how late it ran.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, WCML100 said:

I have said a few of these before but feel like its a massive gap in the market...

FCA Intermodal flats... EWS or DB branded options with the amount of different options that went on top would cover a wealth of options too. They have been used on waste, container, MOD traffic etc and cover 20 years + so would be good for a range of modellers over that time and cover most of the country. 

Another must (that Dapol dropped the ball on!) is the MLA wagons. EWS, de-branded EWS, Network Rail (2 types of logo arrangement), and Metronet/GBRF... there is rarely an engineering ballast train in the last 10-12 years without these in... a must as well if you already have the JNA falcons... They get all over the country so also have wide appeal and mix with existing RTR offerings...

I’m not going to do a really long reply as to why I agree with you on all three of these suggestions but yes, yes, yes! 

Not sure why I have never mentioned the MLA engineers wagons on this thread in my posts. As you say they feature regularly and widely on engineers trains and they have been in service for several years now. Also, as you say they would perfectly complement the likes of the Dapol JNA. They are a very big missing link that I would bet could easily sell into their thousands. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1