Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

More model ideas

• RMweb Gold

Having a think (dangerous; what?) We have to consider what might be likely candidates. What will give Accurascale a return on their investment?  With that in mind...

Southern, Double-decker EMU.

Southern,  LBSCR Mogul.

Eastern ,  A8 tank, Raven pacific.

North western, Beames 0-8-4/ 0-8-2 tank.

Western. All of the usual suspects. Hopefully, some pre-grouping ideas. Anything Taff Vale. (Who, me? Must be someone else...)

That said, it's a bit of a minefield for Accurascale ( or anyone else ). After all, how many people have seen an A8 tank recently? As the field gets ever smaller, the returns get ever tighter. The demographic  shrinks at an exponential rate. 

At least manufacturers are talking to prospective buyers, which is a positive step. 

10-12 ton 7 plank wagons with an eye to fidelity is still a sure-fire seller. But please,  not those awful things that some manufacturers think is top dollar. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Having a think (dangerous; what?) We have to consider what might be likely candidates. What will give Accurascale a return on their investment?  With that in mind...

Southern, Double-decker EMU.

Southern,  LBSCR Mogul.

Eastern ,  A8 tank, Raven pacific.

North western, Beames 0-8-4/ 0-8-2 tank.

Western. All of the usual suspects. Hopefully, some pre-grouping ideas. Anything Taff Vale. (Who, me? Must be someone else...)

That said, it's a bit of a minefield for Accurascale ( or anyone else ). After all, how many people have seen an A8 tank recently? As the field gets ever smaller, the returns get ever tighter. The demographic  shrinks at an exponential rate. 

At least manufacturers are talking to prospective buyers, which is a positive step. 

10-12 ton 7 plank wagons with an eye to fidelity is still a sure-fire seller. But please,  not those awful things that some manufacturers think is top dollar. 

I think somebody else KR Models has already announced the 4DD EMU.

I would buy one K Class mogul, purely on its attractiveness, but I'd buy two or three U Class if they did that. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We will have a couple around GETS in early October if that helps the froth?

Cheers!

Fran 

But that’s 4 weeks away! What are supposed to do until then! Run the excellent trains you’ve already provided? Fine, I’ll double head my deltics on a raft of nuclear loaded PFAs and KUAs, but I’m going to grumble about it the whole time. 

Edited by nightstar.train
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

But that’s 4 weeks away! What are supposed to do until then! Run the excellent trains you’ve already provided? Fine, I’ll double head my deltics on a raft of nuclear loaded PFAs and KUAs, but I’m going to grumble about it the whole time. 

Chaldrons are just in too! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yep - a few of those would look great with the Deltics, PFAs and KUAs ! 🙄

Just needs some replacement buffer beams with the correct buffing gear for no.s 11 and 17.  I don't have either so for all I know they could already be in the detaili g pack.

51729939524_7710b8aec1_6k.jpgSherburn Collieries (Durham) - 0-6-0 steam locomotive Nr. 2 (Hudswell Clarke 72 / 1866) by Historical Railway Images, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Today's random stab in the dark list from me, in no particular order of relevance apart from the obligatory 06...

Class 06 - come on, you know you want one done properly...

Class 140 - okay, very niche this but you have to admire its slabby simplicity...

Class 210 - almost as niche, but then if you were looking at doing...

Class 317/318/455 - which would fill some nice gaps, you might as well do the DEMU variant as well

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Could be.  I'll have a look. I'm not a Southern Electric modeller, as such, but I thought of the DD sets would even things out.

As a Southern (non-electric) modeller, I could think of at least a dozen things (some of them electric) that would be of far greater interest and usefulness, to a lot more people. 😇

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Aren't KR doing that?

3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Could be.  I'll have a look. I'm not a Southern Electric modeller, as such, but I thought of the DD sets would even things out.

Announced last October....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stick to the hits I reckon:

- A3

At least one of these is not a trolling suggestion.

Also if a 47 is done, can we please note that even though it is clearly 'wrong', the fat Heljan one looks best on the track.

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

Stick to the hits I reckon:

- A3

At least one of these is not a trolling suggestion.

Also if a 47 is done, can we please note that even though it is clearly 'wrong', the fat Heljan one looks best on the track.

I get your intent, but nearly all of those have been done to death already and, try as I might, I really can't identify the exception with any degree of certainty. 😆

Last thing we need are yet more re-treads that will only appeal to fetishists of a particular class and which, for many of whom, still won't be sufficiently better than their old Lima ones to prise the moolah from their wallets! 🤡

Each successive "rehash" will attain a level where more people consider that they now have one that is "good enough" and will ignore the next. 

It's potentially dangerous for the manufacturers, too. Sooner or later, one of them will bet the farm on a "dead cert" that that fails to break even. The arithmetical risk of that being an "improved" diesel-outline model increases with every new version... 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, thohurst said:

Now that Accurascale have Steve Purves on board, I'm hoping we might get some more AC electric models, seeing as he led on the development of Bachmann's class 90.

(Holding my hopes out for some 304 & 310 EMU's)

You mean the 89 and 92 arent enough? We have more electrics announced than steam 🤣

But you never know what else might be up our sleeves... 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I get your intent, but nearly all of those have been done to death already and, try as I might, I really can't identify the exception with any degree of certainty. 😆

Last thing we need are yet more re-treads that will only appeal to fetishists of a particular class and which, for many of whom, still won't be sufficiently better than their old Lima ones to prise the moolah from their wallets! 🤡

Each successive "rehash" will attain a level where more people consider that they now have one that is "good enough" and will ignore the next. 

It's potentially dangerous for the manufacturers, too. Sooner or later, one of them will bet the farm on a "dead cert" that that fails to break even. The arithmetical risk of that being an "improved" diesel-outline model increases with every new version... 

John

I agree with your comments John. All due respect to Andythenorth for his opinion but looking at the list of classes he is suggesting one wonders if he has not heard of Sutton Locomotive Works and Cavalex Models (or perhaps has not seen their products for himself yet).

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Edit
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I agree with your comments John. All due respect to Andythenorth for his opinion but looking at the list of classes he is suggesting one wonders if he has not heard of Sutton Locomotive Works and Cavalex Models (or perhaps has not seen their products for himself yet). Perhaps it is the pricing that is his main reason for wishing Accurascale consider doing the classes listed which others have done and are still doing..??

TBF, I think Andythenorth's post was more than slightly tongue-in-cheek!

John