More model ideas

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

As much as I’d like to see a ‘full fat’ MN done by Accurascale, I think there are too many variables, especially regarding the tenders for them to dip their toe in the water.

Really? Nowhere near the variables involved in doing the air-smoothed MNs, and I have a bit of experience in that department :-)

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Really? Nowhere near the variables involved in doing the air-smoothed MNs, and I have a bit of experience in that department :-)

If you are starting on the southern you must have exhausted the Beamish collection or its a long commute between the two......

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 60800 said:

Hi John,

Apologies for the confusion, what I meant with more appealing livery wise is that the MN's are lined green whereas the only options for the 8F are unlined black.

Cheers,

Multiple varieties of black tho - LMS, LNER, WD. Then there are the overseas variants  (have a look at this months Steam Railway - Iraq State Railways green!), Longmoor Military Railway blue (4 of them and named)  possible and in preservation we have also had BR lined maroon! 

Multiple detail differences across the 852 built

More variety of 8F available than rebuilt MN :)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Multiple varieties of black tho - LMS, LNER, WD. Then there are the overseas variants  (have a look at this months Steam Railway - Iraq State Railways green!), Longmoor Military Railway blue (4 of them and named)  possible and in preservation we have also had BR lined maroon! 

Some differences remained  between Series 1, 2 and 3 MNs, even after rebuilding, notably cast and welded trailing trucks which (just to add to the fun) were interchangeable and did get swapped around.

Add all the different tenders, whilst bearing in mind that several locos ran with more than one type, so could be done twice.

Few MNs totted up much over a decade's service after rebuilding, but the possible combinations of fittings and tenders that could be modelled (if the tooling allowed) might feasibly exceed their entire number!

I can't see the 8F getting anywhere near that kind of percentage! 😉

It's also clear that Hornby has been missing a big trick here during the time they've been struggling to find yet another excuse to add to their forty-odd incarnations of 4472/60103....  

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I wasn't aware that Longmoor had blue 8F's, it really is true you learn something new every day. 

I had thought about the continental examples, but wouldn't the tooling need alerting significantly to do them? 

I'm not sure how I forgot the Maroon 8F - I saw it when it was grimed up at the GC with poster paints and half of it had washed off revealing the colour underneath.

Cheers,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, 60800 said:

I wasn't aware that Longmoor had blue 8F's, it really is true you learn something new every day. 

I had thought about the continental examples, but wouldn't the tooling need alerting significantly to do them? 

I'm not sure how I forgot the Maroon 8F - I saw it when it was grimed up at the GC with poster paints and half of it had washed off revealing the colour underneath.

Cheers,

I also remember a Black Five (or 8F, not sure which) was once liveried in Paisley-pattern wallpaper!

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2023 at 13:31, andythenorth said:

How about a class 48, the 1990s version.  Not the Duff with a funny engine.

I haven't drawn the intercity one yet, but RES livery looked good on class 48s.

Also my drawing isn't faithful to the prototototype - anyone spot the mistake?

image.png.cbd259da5f43c46a02ce9d1d07ea8003.png

Edited by andythenorth

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Some differences remained  between Series 1, 2 and 3 MNs, even after rebuilding, notably cast and welded trailing trucks which (just to add to the fun) were interchangeable and did get swapped around.

Add all the different tenders, whilst bearing in mind that several locos ran with more than one type, so could be done twice.

Few MNs totted up much over a decade's service after rebuilding, but the possible combinations of fittings and tenders that could be modelled (if the tooling allowed) might feasibly exceed their entire number!

I can't see the 8F getting anywhere near that kind of percentage! 😉

It's also clear that Hornby has been missing a big trick here during the time they've been struggling to find yet another excuse to add to their forty-odd incarnations of 4472/60103....  

John

Just watched Hornby Model programme on UK TV iplayer thing. For reasons unknown they have put episode 11 on which is 'Hornby's top 10 models of all time'. Within the 10 there is the is the 2000 rebuilt MN and SK talks with a passion about why he chose it and the links they have with the MNLPS.

I reckon Hornby will do the rebuilt MN and they'll do it as a high end model  - all the bells and whistles to coin a phrase. Notable perhaps that they filmed Simon with the real 35028 and of course Hornby have a lot of the components already from the original MN already in the current range. Wouldn't be surprised if the current chassis is already designed to fit a rebuilt body in the same way as the Princess Coronation (also incidentally in the top 10) fits both the streamlined and non streamlined versions.

Lovely as an Accurascale rebuilt MN would surely be I dont think its an ideal target for them and with only 30 locos and 2 pre-preservation liveries (one really!) I dont think the market could sustain 2 versions and I believe at the moment Hornby would get the 'mass market' sales because the MN is so closely associated with them. 

Much more potential for sales with any of the suggested LMS classes including the Black 5. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
Usual fingers not doing what brain thinks!!
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

If you are starting on the southern you must have exhausted the Beamish collection or its a long commute between the two......

Don't forget to pop into North Road on your way and look at the Q7!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/12/2022 at 19:12, Watto1990 said:

Well, thanks to Accurascale’s 2022 in review email we know there’s a special announcement at Model Rail Scotland at the end of February…

First foray into the AC Emu with the fine looking Class 303?!  :). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

I’ve just had another couple of ideas for new OO Gauge wagons. 

Please could we have the SITT wagons (Snow Ice Treatment Train) that run primarily in southern England. These can be found being hauled in top and tail formation by GBRf traction including Class 20s, 66s in a range of GBRf liveries, Class 69s, Class 73s and Class 73/9s. They have also been hauled by Network Rail Yellow Class 57/3s of which Bachmann have produced 305 and 312.  All of these locos are either already or will soon be available in RTR form except the Class 73/9s, so they would compliment a range of traction. Even I would buy some and I don’t specifically model Southern England but I would run them with GBRf locos. 

Secondly what about those flat wagons that currently are hauled by DRS traction on the Crewe-Carlisle-Crewe and possibly Crewe-Toton/Bescot-Crewe engineers trains? I’m unsure what the wagons are coded on TOPS but they have some kind of yellow frame/structure on the ends of them. I’m assuming these are used to strap and hold materials to the wagons. They are hauled sometimes by DRS Class 37s and as recently as Thursday when 37425 in Regional Railways livery was in charge. These wagons would compliment the existing Accurascale range of Class 37s and future batches. They also run in lengthy rakes as seen on the photo below. I would certainly buy some because I don’t currently have any flat engineers wagons, only ones with medium or high sides on. Just to let everyone know this isn’t my image, and credit for it goes to Mark Ainsworth. 

37425 Cherry Tree 19-1-23.

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Secondly what about those flat wagons that currently are hauled by DRS traction on the Crewe-Carlisle-Crewe and possibly Crewe-Toton/Bescot-Crewe engineers trains? I’m unsure what the wagons are coded on TOPS but they have some kind of yellow frame/structure on the ends of them. I’m assuming these are used to strap and hold materials to the wagons. They are hauled sometimes by DRS Class 37s and as recently as Thursday when 37425 in Regional Railways livery was in charge. These wagons would compliment the existing Accurascale range of Class 37s and future batches. They also run in lengthy rakes as seen on the photo below. I would certainly buy some because I don’t currently have any flat engineers wagons, only ones with medium or high sides on. Just to let everyone know this isn’t my image, and credit for it goes to Mark Ainsworth. 

37425 Cherry Tree 19-1-23.

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Aren't those wagons known as Salmon? If so I think Flangeway already make them. 

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

Aren't those wagons known as Salmon? If so I think Flangeway already make them. 

The wagons in Danny's photo above are Ospreys, which are Salmons converted to carry 60 ft track panels without the need for so much strapping down, by the addition of robust stanchions at each end and in the middle. Mick (New Bryford) noted recently that some Ospreys are now being converted back to Salmon.

Cambrian make an excellent kit of the Salmon, which can be converted to Osprey with 3D printed parts.

Flangeway make a RTR Salmon, which has had some length issues in 1st batch, now resolved, although the modern versions of the wagon are not yet available.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, KDG said:

The wagons in Danny's photo above are Ospreys, which are Salmons converted to carry 60 ft track panels without the need for so much strapping down, by the addition of robust stanchions at each end and in the middle. Mick (New Bryford) noted recently that some Ospreys are now being converted back to Salmon.

Cambrian make an excellent kit of the Salmon, which can be converted to Osprey with 3D printed parts.

Flangeway make a RTR Salmon, which has had some length issues in 1st batch, now resolved, although the modern versions of the wagon are not yet available.

Hornby have also announced a Salmon. 

Paul

• Agree 3

On 05/08/2021 at 23:44, McC said:

We’ve held back on announcing over £2m in new (unannounced) investment in the last year due to delays in the 55, 92 and mark 5. All three have delivery dates detailed in their most recent updates. Our Irish A class is almost here with the 55 almost complete assembly and much more working away behind the scenes :) in the mean time we’ve delivered HUOs in two scales, PCV cemflos, PTA and JSA and two runs of PFAs and KUA and PCA and accessories and shared decorated and EP samples of lots more besides. Our MDV , MDO and Coil A are on the boat and all that in the barely three years since we launched. 

We are acutely aware locos are vital and have 6 D&E and 5 steam and several MU projects underway that we are striving to deliver to the absolute highest detail and fidelity at the most realistic price points possible.  

We don’t believe in half measures or resting on laurels and can not wait until you all have swathes of accurascale running on your layouts. 

Do you still have 4 steam engines under development or have things changed in the last year and a half?

On 05/08/2021 at 23:44, McC said:

We are acutely aware locos are vital and have 6 D&E and 5 steam and several MU projects underway that we are striving to deliver to the absolute highest detail and fidelity at the most realistic price points possible.  

8 hours ago, McC said:

Unfortunately they have, we now have 7 ;)

Next announcement will be quite soon.

If they are now 7 Steam projects under development i dread to think how many more of the others they have under development. Knowing that out of the 6 D&E projects the Class 30/31, Class 37, Class 50 & Class 89 have been announced.