More model ideas

How about .....

Starting a trend to model diecast warbird aircraft in 1:76.2, not just the current 1:72?

On a similar lateral thinking front, how about a modern rendition of Minic cars and trucks - making a flexible system which can utilise existing Oxford model cars as well?

These of course could drive onto wagons ... self powered, or transporting slots to advance all at fixed speeds.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

What I would really like to see is a new Class 150 and a class 153/155 DMU in 00 gauge. 

I know there are existing models of these but I think it is time for an update to these. 

The Bachmann class 150 is quite a good model, however it has a few inaccuracy issues and needs to be updated to modern standards in my opinion. There are lots of livery options that have not been produced such as the Wessex Trains red livery with pictures of local attractions on the side. 

The Hornby class 153 is again a good model, but is now showing its age and could do with an update to add things like lights and sound etc. 

The Dapol class 155 looks nothing like a class 155 so definitely needs a new model. Hornby rereleased this model under their name but it still looks nothing like a class 155 especially the front ends. 

These three DMU units have been the backbone of rail travel in a lot of areas and still are to this day. You often see them working in multiple with others which makes these a great option. 

Edited by TrainsRule88
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I must beg pardon if this has come up recently, but lately my constant 'repping' for the Raven B16's (the /1 variant in particular) has been eclipsed by a more wide-ranging model idea as a 'would be nice to get at some time' thing.

This being Gresley's GNR Class H3, aka the LNER Class K2's, both ones with and without Scottish cabs; since you could see K2's on anything; from pick-up goods trains on the West Highland Line, to Pullman services on the Great Eastern Main Line, and all points in between, it seemed to me like it'd plug a long-standing gap in ECML steam.

Edited by NZRedBaron
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

I must beg pardon if this has come up recently, but lately my constant 'repping' for the Raven B16's (the /1 variant in particular) has been eclipsed by a more wide-ranging model idea as a 'would be nice to get at some time' thing.

This being Gresley's GNR Class H3, aka the LNER Class K2's, both ones with and without Scottish cabs; since you could see K2's on anything; from pick-up goods trains on the West Highland Line, to Pullman services on the Great Eastern Main Line, and all points in between, it seemed to me like it'd plug a long-standing gap in ECML steam.

This a thing that must worry manufacturers, customers changing their minds about what they want.

There could be a lot of chattering online about class, ABC the manufacturer decides ok, we'll do this, model is designed and put into to tooling then announced. And then there is a lot of chatter online saying "I've changed my modelling plans, I wish they announced xyz instead"

I've been guilty of changing my plans as often as my pants before, though the past few years I've got 3 main projects to see me out with focussed stock wants ( most of which is available except a 303/311 and PEP EMUs...)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, TrainsRule88 said:

What I would really like to see is a new Class 150 and a class 153/155 DMU in 00 gauge. 

I know there are existing models of these but I think it is time for an update to these. 

The Bachmann class 150 is quite a good model, however it has a few inaccuracy issues and needs to be updated to modern standards in my opinion. There are lots of livery options that have not been produced such as the Wessex Trains red livery with pictures of local attractions on the side. 

The Hornby class 153 is again a good model, but is now showing its age and could do with an update to add things like lights and sound etc. 

The Dapol class 155 looks nothing like a class 155 so definitely needs a new model. Hornby rereleased this model under their name but it still looks nothing like a class 155 especially the front ends. 

These three DMU units have been the backbone of rail travel in a lot of areas and still are to this day. You often see them working in multiple with others which makes these a great option. 

I'd agree about 153s and 155s, but I'd think it would be only Bachmann that'd release an improved Class 150 when the existing model is pretty good. The only thing I'm not keen on is the big motor block visible inside looks pretty poor and the price is pretty steep for what it is. Where do you think its not to current standards?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

Completely agree. Wide range of liveries too and lasted well into the transition era. I maintain that Scottish sells well with it's more manageable realistic train size.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

I'd agree about 153s and 155s, but I'd think it would be only Bachmann that'd release an improved Class 150 when the existing model is pretty good. The only thing I'm not keen on is the big motor block visible inside looks pretty poor and the price is pretty steep for what it is. Where do you think its not to current standards?

Answered your own question, I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NBL said:

This a thing that must worry manufacturers, customers changing their minds about what they want.

There could be a lot of chattering online about class, ABC the manufacturer decides ok, we'll do this, model is designed and put into to tooling then announced. And then there is a lot of chatter online saying "I've changed my modelling plans, I wish they announced xyz instead"

I've been guilty of changing my plans as often as my pants before, though the past few years I've got 3 main projects to see me out with focussed stock wants ( most of which is available except a 303/311 and PEP EMUs...)

I think the numbers whose plans change away from any particular prototype are likely to be (at least approximately) balanced by other flitterbugs switching in its favour....🦋

• Like 2

I think that there are bigger gaps in Modern image units than 150’s. I can agree to a point with a 155, as that hasn’t had any upgrade since pre DCC ready or even directional lights! But the 170’s and the Desiro family are another few models lacking detail and the 220/221 and also 222 fleets are in need of revamp, especially if you look at how much these sets (220/221) are selling for on eBay second hand. I also think there are markets for brand new units such as Electrostar’s, 320/321/322 etc. and 185’s that would be more profitable then a diluted market that may or may not want to replace what they have. Even though if someone did a 150 to the Bachmann 158/ Realtrack 156 standards I would replace my 150’s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

11 hours ago, GordonC said:

The current class 150 I would agree with you in regards to the motor block. Things have moved on and it’s now possible to have the motors beneath the floor such as the new Bachmann class 158. 

The current model also has inaccuracies such as the interior seating layout is incorrect for the more modern liveries. Also the head & tail lights are also incorrect for several livery variations. 

Also the GWR model has handrails on the front ends, which is not correct as the real GWR units have had the handrails removed. 

I would agree that these are only small things but I would like to see these made to the Accurascale standard and it would be great to have dmu’s of different classes be able to work together just like the real things. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of some plain wooden bodied unfitted wagons as produced, mostly to Big Four designs, in the early BR period.  It’s a particularly difficult livery to get right at home by, paradoxically, repainting models, but very evocative of the 50s.  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Six-wheel milk tanks please.

Some credible SR, LMS and LNER ones are long overdue and should be ideal candidates for Accurascale's three-in-a-box MO. 

The ex-Lima Hornby ones date from a time when the prototypes were still in regular service, with a clear attempt at a GWR design. The Dapol model is more generic in character, so not a whole lot better.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

On 08/12/2023 at 06:20, NZRedBaron said:

I’d love a Gresley K2. Attractive liveries and some carried names. Such things tend to sell well. I know that there were detail differences between the Gresley K1 and K2 apart from the smaller boiler on the K1. I wonder if it would be possible to tool for both. A K4 would be welcome too. Classes of big LNER locos built in small numbers seem to have gone down well. Why wouldn’t a cute K4?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I know that there were detail differences between the Gresley K1 and K2 apart from the smaller boiler on the K1. I wonder if it would be possible to tool for both.

According to my sole reference I have on the subject (a battered old copy of Brian Haresnape's "Gresley Locomotives: A Pictorial History"), that might not be practical; aside from the boiler as you mentioned, they had multiple other detail differents; not least of which was that they had different wheelbases, and that the K2's were also slightly longer end-over-end than the K1's.

And also, it's worth considering that all 10 of the K1's had been rebuilt into K2/1's by the early 1930's, so that would limit the livery options.

Edited by NZRedBaron
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/12/2023 at 17:00, XChris said:

I think that there are bigger gaps in Modern image units than 150’s

Completely agree, and you have IDed the biggest gaps in my opinion. Either the 185, or the ones Bachmann did in non DCC configuration that now fetch big bucks on eBay in certain liveries (170/220/221).

The Voyager is probably a good one simply because two classes can be covered with near identical tooling, XC livery is already in high demand and there are at least two WCML liveries since the Virgin ones that are already out there.

The Bachmann 150 is just about good enough IMO. I have one and I aren't sure I'd upgrade it if they did a new tool one in Northern.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Completely agree, and you have IDed the biggest gaps in my opinion. Either the 185, or the ones Bachmann did in non DCC configuration that now fetch big bucks on eBay in certain liveries (170/220/221).

The Voyager is probably a good one simply because two classes can be covered with near identical tooling, XC livery is already in high demand and there are at least two WCML liveries since the Virgin ones that are already out there.

The Bachmann 150 is just about good enough IMO. I have one and I aren't sure I'd upgrade it if they did a new tool one in Northern.

I think it'd be a brave manufacturer to look to improve on the Bachmann 150 and make enough sales to make it worthwhile - of course there are lots of livery variations possible, but I'm just not sure its bad enough to warrant retooling by anyone else.

I'm a little surprised the Class 165 Networkers have never been produced - we've had 3 car 166s, but there are a lot more 165s and now they're working in new areas

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I doubt any manufacturer ever launches new models that rely on everybody replacing older products. Our opinions on the acceptability of what we already own will inevitably vary too widely to make that safe!

There wiil probably be sufficient unfulfilled demand, and enough uncovered liveries to make a new Class 150 viable in the two years or so it will take somebody to get a new one to market if they start now.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1