More model ideas

12 minutes ago, McC said:

Our feeling is that disassembly is not routine maintenance, and if there is an issue, send it to us. 

That's just my point, oiling is routine maintenance.  A quick couple of drops can save bushes, and save fathing around with screaming bushes, even motor replacement.

Sorry, this is one detail I will not change.  I wouldn't go to the dealership I bought a car from to ask them to check the tyre pressures - I do that myself every 2-3 weeks.

Al.

Multiple Units : Any type or price that is current with today's expectation is fine with me. Just as long as the lead-up time is slightly longer than usual (1.5 years). I think that paces them out more. 

Lots of obvious winners : Electrostars and 313s mentioned to death, but also the 465s, Voyager retools. 

Class 325 aswell since minimal interior is required and can be easily sold as  packs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Thanks very much fo the feedback, and it really is great to get some insight into what the market itself thinks. I'm aware that my question was and method was not the most scientific, but there is some food for thought there and some good suggestions thrown into the mix.

Now that desired price has been outlined, what about quantities? If we were to make your dream unit tomorrow, at the price you have in mind, how many units would you buy?

Answers on a postcard, and of course should anyone else wish to post their thoughts to my previous query about price, please continue to do so below too.

Cheers!

Fran 

Ooh Fran, its like writing to Santa! My wishlist and numbers purchased probably as follows :

Class 127 4 car DMU = 1

Class 170 2/3 car Turbostar = 2

Class 222 5/7 car Meridian = 2

Class 310 4 car EMU = 1

Class 317 4 car EMU = 1

Class 319 4 car EMU = 2

HSTs (2 + 7/8) = 2 or 3

and yes I grew up and still live close to the Midland Mainline...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I think the prices on the Irish Rail site are about right.  Even in N scale, where the prices aren't actually any different.

I would certainly buy at least 2 x 4 car Class 310, but would plan to get more, as funds permitted, which would mean availability over a couple of years being desirable. All of the same livery. In N scale, of course, as I'm sure you'd also want that information at some time. Up to 6 x 4 car sets would be the intention.

I would buy 2 x 3 car Class 501, preferably not  necessarily at once. But I doubt if I would want any more than that. Again, in N scale.

At least 2 x LMS twins too, of course, in N scale.

How many ? One . At 500 quid , that’s all I’d get and to be honest unless I’m modelling Clapham junction - it can go one way and then another and nobody needs to know it’s same one .

TBH , a lot of modern stuff looks similar and has the charisma of an ikea table . How about a hattons approach ( God rest their soul ) and a generic dmu/ emu like their little coaches ? Then it’s right for everywhere ! 
Only one colour available - white ! It’s off lease , between lease , taken back by the DOT , whatever - it can go anywhere !

I’d buy two of those .

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Of the overhead AC EMUs mentioned in this thread, I would seriously look to acquiring a green with yellow bib 304 (any variant), a blue with small yellow bib 304, a four car blue/grey 304 and if modelled a Regional Railways liveried 304 (a few late surviving units got this livery).  If you went for a Class 310-312, I'd somehow find the cash for a blue as built with half yellow ends, a blue grey unit, a refurbished Midline liveried unit and probably a blue-grey 312 as well.  If all liveries were released at once I would have to prioritise but given your payment schemes it might be better to blag the lot and spread the payments.

On DMUs it would depend on classes, but say, for example, a 116 was considered I would find space for a blue, white with blue stripe and blue-grey unit.  At the risk of sounding like a dog with a dinosaur bone, a Northern Irish 80 class in red stripe, and Intercity bumble bee stripe, would fit my plans nicely.

In other words, at typical prices you are charging for the Rotems, I would seriously fund multiple purchases spread across multiple liveries to fit my plans.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Thanks very much fo the feedback, and it really is great to get some insight into what the market itself thinks. I'm aware that my question was and method was not the most scientific, but there is some food for thought there and some good suggestions thrown into the mix.

Now that desired price has been outlined, what about quantities? If we were to make your dream unit tomorrow, at the price you have in mind, how many units would you buy?

Answers on a postcard, and of course should anyone else wish to post their thoughts to my previous query about price, please continue to do so below too.

Cheers!

Fran 

Class 120            2 (Blue-Grey)

Class 126            2 (Blue-Grey)

Class 303            at least 3 (Blue-Grey, Strathclyde Orange & Black (original & refurbished))

Class 304            1 (Blue-Grey, 3 car)

Class 311            at least 1 (Blue-Grey, Strathclyde Orange & Black)

Class 314            2 (Strathclyde Orange & Black)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Very interesting topic (thanks to Accurascale guys and gals, you have some wonderful models!). As a modern-image ish (2000s onwards) modeller, Electrostars are a key part of the modern railway and have always seemed a huge gap given the variety of models, locations etc. Even for North West modellers, a substantial number of them have been tested and run up here. I would love more Voyagers and Turbostars. In fact, one of my first models I was given was a 3 car Voyager!

Ultimately, for me the biggest gaps are 185 and 360s (although why Bachmann haven't done them yet surprises me), plus the new CAF units seem to be quite a gap too which could be filled fairly well...

Growing up on the East Coast I have a soft spot for the 365s too, maybe worth doing?

• Like 2

Definitely not all at once but if we were going for the stock list I would like to end up with in TOPS order:

Class 180 EMR - 2+

Class 222 EMR - 3+

Class 319 FCC - 3+

Class 360 EMR - 2+

Class 373 - At least 6 in original livery plus at least 1 in GNER (If you did the promotional liveries at least one of each as well, though please for my poor wallet stagger them out XD),

Class 377 FCC/TL - 3+

Class 395 - Max 6 (Yes i know Hornby do them so this is very unlikely but it could do with a few errors fixed and the ability to actually work in multiple)

Class 700 - At least 1 RLU and 1 FLU probably more

Can you guess my dream layout? XD

The eurostar is the one I most care about and you could literally name your price and I would pay it if done to your usual standards even if i had to buy it a few bits at a time. A few features I would like to see though e.g. Working nose couplers and coupler doors for drags

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, sga962 said:

Definitely not all at once but if we were going for the stock list I would like to end up with in TOPS order:

Class 180 EMR - 2+

Class 222 EMR - 3+

Class 319 FCC - 3+

Class 360 EMR - 2+

Class 373 - At least 6 in original livery plus at least 1 in GNER (If you did the promotional liveries at least one of each as well, though please for my poor wallet stagger them out XD),

Class 377 FCC/TL - 3+

Class 395 - Max 6 (Yes i know Hornby do them so this is very unlikely but it could do with a few errors fixed and the ability to actually work in multiple)

Class 700 - At least 1 RLU and 1 FLU probably more

Can you guess my dream layout? XD

The eurostar is the one I most care about and you could literally name your price and I would pay it if done to your usual standards even if i had to buy it a few bits at a time. A few features I would like to see though e.g. Working nose couplers and coupler doors for drags

Rough guess, that’s about £8000 of units .

them Accura lads will be contactable in Bermuda with immediate effect 

• Funny 5

36 minutes ago, sga962 said:

Class 180 EMR - 2+

Are you aware Revolution are producing the Class 180 both in N and OO?  I expect Accurascale won't want to compete directly with the model which has now reached EP stage.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My thoughts are there a few units I would purchase mainly Scottish based in SPT orange. But I would suggest that quantities of sales will be lower than any locomotive. A lot of modellers I know will find an excuse for an extra diesel i.e. it's on a railtour or engineers train just because they like it or the livery but impulse buying units is very different most will buy only ones that suit their modelling area. I know my local shops reflect this with both Harburn and Scoonie hobbies only really stocking local DMUs but will carry most loco's no matter if they ran in Scotland. I think some manufacturers might reflect this in the price to cover development costs.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for anything Scottish. Main area of interest would be 1980s - 1990s liveries on overhead electrics. 

I'm particularly hoping for a 303, 311,314,318 or 320. 

2 or 3 of each please 😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

For me, my 00 Scale wishlist would be:

304 x 1   3 Car in Blue and Grey

310 x 2   4 Car in Blue & Grey (Original Cab Windows)

310 x 1   4 Car in Midline

Cheers

Steve

Edited by D86
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My RTR wishlist, some items of which I reckon I'm in with half a chance of, and since everybody seems to be indulging in wishlisting as if Andy Y isn't in enough despair already, is as follows, and pretty predicatable.  There are no multiple units on it but I think a 120 would be a dead cert success:-

In order of preference:

1854 half-cab pannier 1870, fluted parallel coupling rods, unlined black austerity 1942-5 GWR livery with Caerphilly Works 'grotesque' lettering.

Diagram A10 auto trailer W 128 in crimson/cream early BR livery.

Diagram A43 and A44 'Cyclops' auto trailers in unlined crimson livery, and pre-conversion Collett flat end orignals.

3100, Collett 1938 rebuilt 3150 large prairie in unlined black early BR livery with Gill Sans BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering.

Diagram A30 auto trailer to current standards, unlined crimson livery.

2721 half-cab pannier 2761, livery & coupling rods as 1870.

That'll do for you to be going on with, Fran.  Bet you're sorry you asked, now...

In case anyone's wondering about the preference for 1870 over 2761, not dissimilar engines, 1870 was withdrawn five months later than 2761.

Anything southern region from mid 1970s to mid 1980s. Blue or blue/ grey. The most numerous EMUs in the UK and woefully under-represented in the modelling world. Favourites probably 4-SUB - lifespan of several decades and hundreds of the things made or 4-CIG - another massive hole. Price? Accurascale quality with DCC sound and the like? £500 max. Quantity? Up to 4-5 of either but you'd have to do alternative running numbers! Always thought manufacturers missed a trick here. Many of the MUs were identical but modellers don't want literally the same one. Provide the same model but slap different transfers on it and it becomes a very different story. That's my thoughts anyway: bound to be differing views 😁

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A modular Class 304 tooling could also provide the basis for 305s and 308s as well as other slam door EMUs such as Classes 302 (I think they may have been slightly longer) and 307. Being based on the 63’ Mk1 suburban there are a lot of possibilities and even potential to use some of the exiting 57’ Mk1 suburban components. To expand on my earlier post I’d go for a 3 car 304/2 or 304/3 in blue/grey to start, but a 4 car blue 304 (any subclass) would follow after the layout gets extended which will be in the next 10 years or so. These will join the kitbash 304/1 which is progressing at the moment.

A GMPTE 303 would be an early acquisition followed by a blue and grey one after the layout extension. Both unrefurbished.

A blue 4 car Class 310 would be of interest after the layout extension as you did got the odd one on the old MSJ&A in the 70s and 80s. They glided along so smoothly after being accustomed to the bouncy castles.

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 3

I think the simple answer to how much people are prepared to pay for units, is to be at least in line with competitors. Bachmann have produced many units over the years, so there must be a market for them, as they wouldn’t continue to invest in new ones. Their Class 158’s and 117’s and 121’s are excellent models at pretty reasonable prices, so would provide a good benchmark for prices of 1/2/3 car models, both DCC Ready and Sound Fitted, (although I do feel their CEP’s and BEP’s were overpriced at an RRP of £500!)

Dapol also seems to have pitched the price and specifications of their recently announced Class 323 well.

Accurascale have already demonstrated their capabilities with their Irish units, so I’m surprised Fran is trying to gauge opinion on the commercial viability. I wouldn’t have thought a UK outline multiple unit wouldn’t be any more of a risk than an Irish outline unit, taking market size into account. Yes, the prototype picked I will be a definite factor, but reading through this thread there seems to be a lot of people requesting what appears to be some sound commercial choices.

I do wonder if Fran’s question was to deflect that Accurascale don’t have any immediate plans for UK units? My personal opinion is that they’ll still be in the ‘Space Race’ in the immediate future, to produce high spec loco replacements for some of the ‘low hanging fruit’  of ageing models from other manufacturers (Class 08, HST, West Country/Battle of Britain, A4 all spring to mind).

That said, as someone who is ‘crazy’ about multiple units, I sincerely hope I’m wrong and Fran has all sorts of goodies ready to announce! 

9 hours ago, Charnwood said:

Anything southern region from mid 1970s to mid 1980s. Blue or blue/ grey. The most numerous EMUs in the UK and woefully under-represented in the modelling world. Favourites probably 4-SUB - lifespan of several decades and hundreds of the things made or 4-CIG - another massive hole. Price? Accurascale quality with DCC sound and the like? £500 max. Quantity? Up to 4-5 of either but you'd have to do alternative running numbers! Always thought manufacturers missed a trick here. Many of the MUs were identical but modellers don't want literally the same one. Provide the same model but slap different transfers on it and it becomes a very different story. That's my thoughts anyway: bound to be differing views 😁

Rob

Definitely agree about the 4CIG! Three mouldings, with no significant changes made to the prototype throughout a 40 year plus life and multiple liveries, operating across all three sections of the Southern Region! In addition, it has lots of current models that complement it. Probably makes sense for Hornby to utilise their soon to be released, revised Class 423, but I won’t hold my breath! 

• Like 1

Well this really has opened a tin of worms hasn’t it 🤣

Here’s my MU wish list;

170: 2/3 First Dynamic Lines, 1 Northern

185; 6-9. 2/3 First Dynamic lines, 2/3 Dynamic line debranded, 2/3 current TPE livery.

220/1; 3/4 Cross Country Livery, 2 Virgin

222: 1 7 car set EMT

313: T7 translator vehicles

319 : 1/2 Northern Blue

321: 1 Northern Plain Blue, 1 WYPTE

322: 1 Northern Plain Blue

333: 2 x WYPTE

325: 4 Differing mail liveries 

350: 2 x First Dynamic lines, 2 x TPE, 2x London Midland

390: 3 Virgin, (1/2 special liveries)

Obviously don’t release them all at the same time 😳😬🫠

I know that a lot of these you can already buy, However I do feel those ones are low hanging fruit (barring maybe the 390 and 350 but these are certainly not all singing all dancing models). The 170, 220/221 toolings are very old, and not even DCC ready and with the second hand sale prices of voyagers especially there has to be a demand for a new tooling. I own one of each of the old toolings but I’d be getting rid tomorrow for an all singing all dancing model. Other than the 185’s I think the rest are fairly niche unfortunately, there’s a chance a 321/9 or 322 would happen if demand for the units was great enough for other liveries (these units have had lots of liveries in there time). I think I’m unlikely to see a class 333 ever made, they have had a few liveries now (3 I believe) and been around a good 20ish years but only ever in the Leeds area which is limiting unfortunately.

Again though I share the feelings around Hornby making units, I have a TPE 802 on order but I can’t help feeling that actually it would be better if someone else made it… To leap to there defence the Stadler Flirt they are doing does look very good! Although it is of no interest to me. My hope would be they transfer those level of details to everything else now, we will see in time. 

I know Bachman are probably the favourites to do the 170, 185, 220, 221, 319 and 350 but they are certainly taking there time on re-tooling or creating a tooling or upscaling and then there is the question of if they can make it cost effective?

In the mean time, it’s seeing who else is after the same style units and building a better understanding of the market and what would go down well and how to do it, I think if you have a multigenerational unit (20+ Years of use), being able to release one unit for a region and era at a time would allow everyone who wants it to buy it then in a re-run offering a second one allowing funds to recoup for a second purchase, while maximising a tooling and production run would be a good idea.

Good afternoon folks,

Another vote for a Class 185 unit in post -refurb livery from me.

Having been the Siemens project engineer for the refurb work I would like to own an 00 replica, as a memento of all the hard work.

DC only would be brilliant, don't need all the bells and whistles 😀

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 3