Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2022 at 20:27, Captain Kernow said:

Just a word of explanation - John and I jointly purchase a batch of Kean Maygib P4 3-hole wagon wheels a little while ago and the mineral conversion project was an ideal opportunity to use some of them. They seem to be turned on a lathe so you would have thought that they would run true.

But unfortunately a significant proportion of the wheels seem to have a slight deformation, resulting in a noticeable wobble, which in turn can lead to a derailment.

I remember coming across this problem many years ago.  The turned rims were fine, it was the moulded centres that were the problem.  The axle hole could be slightly off-centre, making the wheel eccentric, and leading to wobble.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Going back to the early discussion regarding what was at the end of the line, I came across this photo online a while ago.  (no idea who's it is, but my thanks to the photographer)

Could that be a white post, possibly with a lamp on top in the shadows at the end of the siding?

Cheers, Dave.

1351222398_ParkendMarshSidings.jpg.e417ba1f6997785762e4757b7869c430.jpg

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a lovely and informative picture Dave. It reminds me that I've got a lot of work still to do on the coal road wagon slope! You could be right that it might a white post but on magnification it looks odd so I'm not sure!

11 hours ago, DLT said:

I remember coming across this problem many years ago.  The turned rims were fine, it was the moulded centres that were the problem.  The axle hole could be slightly off-centre, making the wheel eccentric, and leading to wobble.

The odd thing about some of the KM wheels is that they're the earlier type which are one piece solid metal rather than the later ones (AG type) which have moulded plastic centres. One would've thought that all-metal turned wheels would be true but some of them ain't!

Anyway I shall be ordering some more Black Beetles from Branchlines so that there will be consistency and reliability on all 16T minerals for 'Marsh Sidings' and which will be also used extensively on 'Fochriw' 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, DLT said:

Lovely photo, Dave, many thanks for finding that.

I shall now badger John to install rails along the edge of the coal loading bank! 😀😉

(Re6/6 - consider yourself badgered! 😛)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I shall now badger John to install rails along the edge of the coal loading bank! 😀😉

(Re6/6 - consider yourself badgered! 😛)

Regrettably there's no groan button!🤨

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 22/11/2022 at 20:57, DLT said:

Could that be a white post, possibly with a lamp on top in the shadows at the end of the siding?

Cheers, Dave.

I don't think so, no need.  There was only a couple of trains a week as I remember it, and it only ran in daylight.  It was accompanied by a shunter or two as it had to be flagged over two ungated roads in quick succession.  Don't think I saw a 29 there, usually a 25 if memory serves.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't think so, no need.  There was only a couple of trains a week as I remember it, and it only ran in daylight.  It was accompanied by a shunter or two as it had to be flagged over two ungated roads in quick succession.  Don't think I saw a 29 there, usually a 25 if memory serves.

29 would certainly be a long way from home north of the border! 22 perhaps? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

29 would certainly be a long way from home north of the border! 22 perhaps? 

12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Sorry - never been able to tell those two classes apart!

You’re not alone!  As a young teenager taken to Springfield Yard in Falkirk, I thought I could see a Deltic in the distance - two curved windows.

Was a class 21 (or 29).

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

You’re not alone!  As a young teenager taken to Springfield Yard in Falkirk, I thought I could see a Deltic in the distance - two curved windows.

Was a class 21 (or 29).

Paul.

Old sad eyes….

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Churchward moguls never worked up the Severn & Wye into the Forest as far as we know, but there was one normally shedded at Lydney, prior to the damage to the Severn rail bridge, for working a goods train to Stoke Gifford. Perhaps it's not too big a stretch (RA notwithstanding!!) to imagine 5328 having been 'borrowed' for a quick trip to Parkend, when the booked 57XX had failed at Lydney?

20230303_151816.jpg.473b15d1ea1351912a1fe83788bb982d.jpg

The loco is the skilled work of Bob Isgar (Izzy), from whom I was most fortunate to purchase it this week.

Prototypicalities aside, that really looks the part, Tim. 

A good purchase, methinks. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I was looking forward to seeing Parkend at the forthcoming S4AGM, but sadly engineering works in our part of the world have scuppered any thoughts of a rail excursion to DRAGland.

Hope it goes well John, and I'll look forward to seeing the layout on another occasion. Please send my best to any other DRAG members who might know me.

Geraint

• RMweb Gold

Hello Geraint,

It was good to see you at Railex.

Sorry that your AGM visit has been scuppered. 'Marsh' will be at Wells and S4um so hopefully we'll meet at one or the other.

• Like 1