Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Outstanding EE action on Llanbourne..... as always :D

Superb photos, thank you for posting.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I do tend to post up pics of 40012 quite regularly though the class 37s haven't had much used this year.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I've just had a flick through the last few pages and there's some cracking pics, Loving the 33 with the Tug, really nice, just as I remember things at Southsea and Eastleigh.

Hi Andy,

Hope you are well, glad to see you still stopping by the thread for a look.

Cheers Peter.

This photo was taken by Merf from the S&T up the old concrete lamp which was out of use when this picture was taken and still there to this day.

It's also taken where I would eat my butties when I was a box lad, strangely enough when a class 40 was shunting the yard!

And I was very grateful for advance information of anything interesting coming down from Crewe, from the box boy. Thanks Stu.

Merf.

Boy did I never think that my photo taken in my lunch break all those years ago would end up being replicated on a layout in Australia. Hasn't the world become a small place in the past few years.

M

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1

Hi Dave,

What Livery are you going to do 47541 I remember seeing it at Haymarket in Large Logo.

My class 47/7 will be a while as I have a few things on the go at the moment. Plus in front of that class 47 is a Large logo and a Railfreight liv loco. Currently on the workbench 20x2 40122 56070 a 150 and some MGRs.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

My 47541 is a Rail's Limited Edition and is already in InterCity livery, so no respraying needed, which speeds things up hugely.

Sounds like quite a few workbench plans you have there! Looking forward to seeing them all emerge from the works.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks BR(S) and Peter. I am definitely going to have to get one now!

I am looking forward to seeing the 20s and 56 coming off the workbench.

The Heljan 58 is a nice model, could you have one turn up on a Railtour?

I know this is a bit after your period but maybe you could?!!!

http://www.hondawanderer.com/58007_58003_Mostyn_1991.htm

Thanks Alex,

The class 20s are almost done, they need bufferbeam pipework and weathering. I am going to fit sound to this pair eventually. 56070 is at the weathering stage and D200 isn't far off either. I haven't really done anything in the last few weeks as I have been out in the garage playing trains.

I was looing at class 58s on the Hattons website tonight, i might get an original railfreight one as I am sure I have seen a pic somewhere of a class 58 light engine running along the coast on a crew training run.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

My 47541 is a Rail's Limited Edition and is already in InterCity livery, so no respraying needed, which speeds things up hugely.

Sounds like quite a few workbench plans you have there! Looking forward to seeing them all emerge from the works.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was tempted to buy that model myself, I have an Inter City 47612 that I picked up cheap from Modelzone which I will convert to  47492 one day. Like 541 it has the Highland Stag on the yellow panel and ploughs. Scottish Duffs did get to Holyhead now and then though it's a little way down the jobs list.

I also have my Inspection coach to do, I managed to get the body off the other day.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

I was looing at class 58s on the Hattons website tonight, i might get an original railfreight one as I am sure I have seen a pic somewhere of a class 58 light engine running along the coast on a crew training run.

Cheers Peter.

Always pleased to help Peter, make a change from blue.

Merf.

post-1625-0-40061200-1418735459_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-28789900-1418735465_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-86327800-1418735475_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Dave,

I was tempted to buy that model myself, I have an Inter City 47612 that I picked up cheap from Modelzone which I will convert to  47492 one day. Like 541 it has the Highland Stag on the yellow panel and ploughs. Scottish Duffs did get to Holyhead now and then though it's a little way down the jobs list.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

They occasionally got further south than that, here's my favourite 47642 passing my signalbox at Pembrey.

post-4712-0-62188100-1418747231.jpeg

Ian

• Like 4

Cheers Peter.

Always pleased to help Peter, make a change from blue.

Merf.

attachicon.gif58016 Llandudno Jct. 19-6-1985 (2).jpg

attachicon.gif58016 Llandudno Jct. 19-6-1985.jpg

attachicon.gif58019 Talscre 24-7-1985.jpg

Thanks Merf, I knew I had seen a pic somewhere. You may have just cost me a 100+ quid. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

I look forward to seeing the choppers. You must be excited, two pairs of 20s at Llanbourne, nice! Grid at Llanbourne also gets the mouth-watering!

I don’t blame you, if I had your superb layout I too would be playing trains!

They are tempting the Original Railfreight 58s on Hatton’s website! Just seen Merf’s photos, well it certainly looks like that is a done deal now. Well done Merf, great work! Now Peter, just to decide whether to purchase 58006 or 58036!

Thanks Alex,

The class 20s are almost done, they need bufferbeam pipework and weathering. I am going to fit sound to this pair eventually. 56070 is at the weathering stage and D200 isn't far off either. I haven't really done anything in the last few weeks as I have been out in the garage playing trains.

Cheers Peter.

The 58 is a good model Peter. Interestingly I note you don't pay VAT on them from Hattons but I did from Olivias direct who commissioned the model.

I look forward to seeing the choppers. You must be excited, two pairs of 20s at Llanbourne, nice! Grid at Llanbourne also gets the mouth-watering!

I don’t blame you, if I had your superb layout I too would be playing trains!

They are tempting the Original Railfreight 58s on Hatton’s website! Just seen Merf’s photos, well it certainly looks like that is a done deal now. Well done Merf, great work! Now Peter, just to decide whether to purchase 58006 or 58036!

Hi Alex,

I think you may have forgotten my Blue pair. 20009 & 20165 will be pair number 3. 

It does look like a class 58 may well turn up on Llanbourne. The models do look good.

Cheers Peter.

The 58 is a good model Peter. Interestingly I note you don't pay VAT on them from Hattons but I did from Olivias direct who commissioned the model.

Hi Jim, Thats no good. You don't seem to have much luck with Olivias do you.

Cheers Peter.

Just think of the class 58 as a Christmas present from Wales Peter.

Naddolig Llawen, Merf.

Thanks Merf,

I have been a good boy this year, maybe I  should treat myself. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the thread. I did a few class 37s on the Coast in the 90s before coming over to Oz. I only did a couple of trips in the 80s really wish I had done more. I do remember seeing 37408 on one of my last trips which only months before I had seen at Weymouth. Then a few months after seeing it at Llandudno I rode behind 37408 from Inverness to Kyle.

Cheers Peter.

Ah yes the illustrious 37408. It was a bit like a bad smell and had an uncanny knack of turning up anywhere. Always a good strong engine and always a popular one. It's a shame it met its demise like it did at Rhymney when it ran away into a rake of coaches.

More nice pictures by the way. Must admit I've got a particular liking for the shove duffs myself.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Jim, Thats no good. You don't seem to have much luck with Olivias do you.

Cheers Peter.

I think the moral of the story here is always read the small print and to be fair to Olivias they did eventually repair my two postal damaged Class 76s after 2 years. I just had to travel half way around the world to get them done lol

• Like 1

Hi Peter, I had forgotten about them! Blimey 3 pairs, nice. I need to seriously bolster my 20 fleet, Boxenby has a shortage compared to Llanbourne!

Good work, a 58 will look cracking turning up at Llanbourne. Go ahead, treat yourself, it is Christmas after all!

Superb, how good does 106 look. A nice plain boring BR blue 47, lovely! And as for the 20s, well quality. Snow ploughs really suit the choppers.