Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

The spider is more afraid of you than you are of it.  Always.  Including arachnophobics

I too have a wood pile (a common feature outside Australian homes as we can't burn coal but usually have plenty of logs) which is full of spiders.  Probably a snake or two as well down the bottom.  I've seen a lot of red-backs and more than a few huntsman spiders.  I even get called upon by the neighbours to remove huntsmen from their homes as I'm not at all bothered by them.  

Can't say I've seen a funnel-web here though they are around for sure.  The other nasty is the white-tail spider of which there is also a healthy population around and beneath the layout.  Some survive - some don't.  It depends how quickly they can scuttle away when I arrive on the scene ;)

If you're not going to come to Australia because of the spiders then don't bother Googling the blue-ring octopus, March fly or other shore-line pests when you drool over the superb and seemingly endless beaches here.  And avoid drop-bears at all costs.

Another shore-line pest I haven't seen is a SHARK. Safety Beach was called Shark bay for a while due to blood from a nearby abattoir going down the creek. Biggest thing I have seen while swimming is the local Sting ray which would be an easy 5 foot wide.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another shore-line pest I haven't seen is a SHARK.

They've moved.  They get a better audience in new South Wales :P

Or were you thinking of an engineer's department brake van??? ;)

Hi Peter

I've never copped it from a white tail, 2 redback bites - one on the back of the hand whilst feeling about blindly for something off a bicycle that had rolled under a bench and the other when in my teens was the "Classic" about which Slim Dusty wrote one of his ditties which went thusly "There was a redback on the toilet seat when I went there last night//I didn't see him in the dark but boy I felt his bite" rotten sods hide out under the seat and go on the bite when a victim is seated... Was the classic Aussie country Dunny behind the house many years ago. Only other dangerous spider bite was a Funnel Web which got me through a pair of joggers and socks I was wearing at the time - big fangs on those critters ! Again it was in my teens. Been a few near misses over the years, but thankfully no bites.

I forgot about the drop bears, easily our most dangerous animal by far. Thanks to Gwiver for the reminder !

What about the Darwin Sharks ? "There used to be Sharks in there mate, til the crocodiles cleaned 'em out !"

Best

Matthew

Edited by WardRail

• RMweb Premium

Ironically the only place I've been bitten by a spider has been in the UK!!!  Not once but twice I've encountered one in my gardening gloves as the finger reached the narrow end and the previous occupant had nowhere else to go.  Nasty nips but not venomous.  

It's second nature here to wear leather gloves when going into the wood pile, the garden shed, the compost bins or for more or less any gardening activity.  The cheapies from any supermarket will do fine.

• Like 1

Your wife looks well & what a lovely gesture your neighbour Claire has made.

Love the oil terminal Peter excellent work as usual, I would love to see you bite the bullet & do a side project in 7mm sometime......

Thanks Phill,

Leanne is going well and Claire is a lovely person, we are lucky to have such nice neighbours.

I am still waiting for some lights to arrive for the oil terminal but apart from that it's pretty much done. 7mm is something I want to try. I have a couple of loco's and some track so it will happen one day.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 2

They've moved.  They get a better audience in new South Wales :P

Or were you thinking of an engineer's department brake van??? ;)

Oh yes in that case I have a couple of Shark in the Garage.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifLeanne and Clare Shave day.jpg

Hi all, our neighbour Clare did an amazing thing today. She let Leanne shave her head to raise money for breast cancer research. In the last few months just over $2500 has been rasied.

Leanne has finished her chemotherapy and is recovering well. 

Clare is leaving the donation link open for another 48 hours so if you would like to donate click on the link below...

http://nbcf-hostyourown.gofundraise.com.au/page/ClareKinsey

Clare has closed the donations now. $3227.90 was raised. 

• Like 3

Morning Petrer, Glad to read that your Wife is doing well Mate, that's always good news.

BUT

I'll be back when all this talk of Spiders and Snakes is over, hahahha I have a real phobia about any such creepy crawly and they scare the life out of me. I will however always put a domestic Spider outside the house using a Spider catcher as I feel they don't deserve to die.

All the best to ALL you guys that hang upside down on this planet of ours.

Morning Petrer, Glad to read that your Wife is doing well Mate, that's always good news.

BUT

I'll be back when all this talk of Spiders and Snakes is over, hahahha I have a real phobia about any such creepy crawly and they scare the life out of me. I will however always put a domestic Spider outside the house using a Spider catcher as I feel they don't deserve to die.

All the best to ALL you guys that hang upside down on this planet of ours.

Thanks Andy,

I think that will be it for spiders for now, well until I find another one to post up. lol

Back to trains and more progress on the layout tonight, no pics I am afraid just more greenery added round the pump house and along the estuary wall which is now painted. I have put a few trees along the backscene where I had a play with static grass which seemed to work ok. Next up is the railway fence, and more scenery along the back of the layout.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

I have a question.

I have put a hand point lever next to the catch point leading out of the oil terminal but I am thinking it should be connected to the single slip which controls the moves in and out of the oil terminal. I would just mean a bit of point rodding.

The pic below should explain what I mean. A screwdriver and tweezers show the points in question.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-64692000-1444304769_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-50636500-1444304822_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought in that situation the trap / catch point must co-act with the slip operation.  If you had both on separate levers then it would be possible to close the trap and permit a movement onto the crossing (even if it was a runaway) while something else was moving over it.

Either have both worked from one lever with some rodding or fit a locking lever to the trap (so have two levers side by side) so that it cannot be released until the slip is set.  

I'll defer to your knowledge as a former shunter but isn't that a trap and not a catch point?

• Like 1

I would have thought in that situation the trap / catch point must co-act with the slip operation.  If you had both on separate levers then it would be possible to close the trap and permit a movement onto the crossing (even if it was a runaway) while something else was moving over it.

Either have both worked from one lever with some rodding or fit a locking lever to the trap (so have two levers side by side) so that it cannot be released until the slip is set.  

I'll defer to your knowledge as a former shunter but isn't that a trap and not a catch point?

Thanks Rick,

Yes I was thinking two interlocked  levers, like a small ground frame with rodding to the catch point.

Peco call it a catch point so that's what a called it though I am not really sure if that's correct. Could be a regional thing I am sure someone will know. 

Trap point could be a point leading into sand drag having thought about it.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Peco call it a catch point and it can be used as such.

When I learned the "Rules of the Road" a catch point was used to trap stuff running away in the wrong direction and a trap point was used to catch stuff running away in the right direction ;)  

Yes Peco call it a catch point and it can be used as such.

When I learned the "Rules of the Road" a catch point was used to trap stuff running away in the wrong direction and a trap point was used to catch stuff running away in the right direction ;)

That sounds fair enough to me Rick,

I have my books from my shunters course somewhere it might have some info in them I will have to dig them out.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, can I ask where you get your point levers from? I'd love to add some to my own layout. Great work on the oil terminal by the way it really looks plausible and natural.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

The point levers are by Dart Castings. part number L31A is the pack with more in. It's a great website I bet you end up buying more than just point levers there is heaps to look at.

You have any thoughts on my ground frame idea?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

The oil terminal looks like it's been there years!!!

Very nice work.

As for the interlocking dilemma, I'm in agreement (not that I know that much) that the trap would be linked to the slip, so as conflicting movements couldn't be made, and it could've been worked by a small ground frame I suppose. I think Wills have released a ground frame kit recently that looked rather good.

Always a pleasure looking in, especially where such selfless gestures are made, such as your neighbour. Wonderful gesture, and glad that so much was raised. Also very pleased that your good lady is doing well too.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

The oil terminal looks like it's been there years!!!

Very nice work.

As for the interlocking dilemma, I'm in agreement (not that I know that much) that the trap would be linked to the slip, so as conflicting movements couldn't be made, and it could've been worked by a small ground frame I suppose. I think Wills have released a ground frame kit recently that looked rather good.

Always a pleasure looking in, especially where such selfless gestures are made, such as your neighbour. Wonderful gesture, and glad that so much was raised. Also very pleased that your good lady is doing well too.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

I have just been looking at the Wills kit. I have found some whitemetal levers from an old signalbox interior kit so will use those and scratch build the rest with plasticard. I have some cranks and stools from MSE so will use them for the rodding etc.

It was a great gesture by our neighbour and Leanne is is going ok. It's good to do a bit of fund raising for a good cause.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon,

The point levers are by Dart Castings. part number L31A is the pack with more in. It's a great website I bet you end up buying more than just point levers there is heaps to look at.

You have any thoughts on my ground frame idea?

Cheers Peter.

I read Gwiwer and he had it bang on with the Trap point being worked in conjunction with the slip and so the 2 lever G/Frame sounds the correct option to my rusty memory.

Thanks for info regarding the point levers, would you be able to share where you got the tank discharge pipework as well?

Simon

I read Gwiwer and he had it bang on with the Trap point being worked in conjunction with the slip and so the 2 lever G/Frame sounds the correct option to my rusty memory.

Thanks for info regarding the point levers, would you be able to share where you got the tank discharge pipework as well?

Simon

Hi Simon,

The pipework is from a Walthers kit 933-3105 I have altered it to suit my needs and a friend did a mold for  some extra bits.

Cheers Peter.