Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Glenn,

That's what happen'd while I was playing with settings on the class 25s I was doing it to the DMU. I tried to reset the DMU and change the address but its dead. I took the body off and checked the decoder and some plastic has melted off the back so I would say it fried itself while I was wasting my time on the class 25s. All in all a good night.

Cheers Peter.

Oh crap, melted plastic is never good, very strange for it to do this. What flavour of chip is it?  I agree with the poster above tho, put the 25s and 108 out of sight for a bit and enjoy pootling round with something else.

Glenn

Hi Peter,

As Simon says the tunnel would no doubt impose restrictions. ECS stock is different because the guard can ride in the leading vehicle and be the drivers eyes, either through hand signals or gestures with a bardic lamp. Today of course there would be a set of radios in the station or signal box which the guard would collect and hand one to the driver, allowing verbal communication. It would still need to be a fully signalled move however. Any variations from signalled moves would be out of course of emergency only, and invariably need to be signed off and agreed by the local ops manager.

Depending on which end of the train your 08 ends up on from the fuel sidings, there could be a wrong line signalled move with ground signals specifically into the loop.

Sorry to hear your 25s still aren't playing well. If it was me I would keep them separate and add a third dummy to run as a pair (you could still fit it with a sound decoder ata later date), but either way, allocated them defective to Crewe Works for a fortnight, have some evenings running trains, forget about them and enjoy the wonderfully superb layout you have!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have a ground signal for trains leaving the yard and for trains going into the loop in the station. I think two way radios would have been used in the mid 80s? So will probably keep pushing stock back into the station as it save using an 08 which can get stuck on the block for quite some time.

I have another class 25 in bits, so will look into making  a dummy chassis that can be used under different bodies. the other class 25s will be kept separate. 

Thanks Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear about your 25s and the 108. I must admit I've managed to fry a couple of chips recently and have no idea why. A couple of 8pins fried themselves whilst resting the decoder function to restore DC running so I could run them on PDW.

I'm like you, and although I know the principles, DCC goes right over the top of my head. I must admit PDW has all the droppers wired in for DCC but I've been thinking of stopping with DC. Mainly the thought of chipping all my loco's.

As for the shunt move how about having a brake van assigned to the station purely for the tank train moves. That way you could then propel the tanks through the tunnel. Obviously when the train arrives it would have to go and collect the brake van first. If memory serves correctly didn't they keep a Queen Mary Brake van at Llandudno junction for propelling the flasks up to Trawsfynydd.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Sorry also forgot to mention there's no problems with propelling through the tunnel as long as you've got a guard or shunter up front hence the brake van idea. I can think of a few places where it has happened in the past. London Euston to start with where they used to propel the stock into the station through the "Rat Hole"

Then there was Bangor with the terminating trains from New Street . The 37 would run round the stock then shove the train back into the North tunnel and then work back into the down platform.

Finally, when we had shunters at New Street, we would regularly propel back into the tunnels if we had a double unit to shunt from one platform to another.

You'll just have to add the move to the Llanbourne sectional appendix.

• Like 2

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear about your 25s and the 108. I must admit I've managed to fry a couple of chips recently and have no idea why. A couple of 8pins fried themselves whilst resting the decoder function to restore DC running so I could run them on PDW.

I'm like you, and although I know the principles, DCC goes right over the top of my head. I must admit PDW has all the droppers wired in for DCC but I've been thinking of stopping with DC. Mainly the thought of chipping all my loco's.

As for the shunt move how about having a brake van assigned to the station purely for the tank train moves. That way you could then propel the tanks through the tunnel. Obviously when the train arrives it would have to go and collect the brake van first. If memory serves correctly didn't they keep a Queen Mary Brake van at Llandudno junction for propelling the flasks up to Trawsfynydd.

Cheers

Marcus

where would they have propelled to Trawsfynydd from? Its a long way from Llandudno junction!! Would it have been from Blaenau Ffestiniog?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I remember rightly, the locos worked through to Blaenau Ffestiniog, whether it was nuclear for the power station or explosives to Maentwrog Road, then ran round and propelled down the branch.  I think the siding at Trawsfynydd could only hold two wagons, although I could be wrong about that bit.  The loco was then on the right end for the return to 'the Junction'. 

Rich

EDIT: This answers the question!  http://www.2d53.co.uk/blaenauffestiniog/Trawsfynydd%20Branch%201.htm

Edited by MarshLane

where would they have propelled to Trawsfynydd from? Its a long way from Llandudno junction!! Would it have been from Blaenau Ffestiniog?

That's correct. They propelled from Blaenau. I should imagine the brake was just stored at Llandudno as there would be no other place to store it on the branch.

Edited by Marcus 37

Thanks for the help guys,

A bit of an update first. The 108 is up and running again as I found a decoder in another loco thats not being used at the moment. The class 25 still don't run together though they are closer that they were, but I have given up for now.

Back to shunting, Adding a brake van would cause to much time and moves in the station area which I really don't have room for. I will stick to my yard shunter tripping the tanks to the terminal and picking them up. If the yard loco has failed I can always find a spare loco on shed to do the shunt.

I do have a couple of barriers and various brake vans that hang around Llanbourne for working down the branch with the Flask or Explosives. This train does arrive at Llanbourne off the branch and does often reverse back to the yard.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-99988500-1485260363_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-68135200-1485260449_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-30981300-1485260530_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 18

The class 25 still don't run together though they are closer that they were, but I have given up for now.

Hi Peter, 

I find it very hard to match locos for double-heading. I have two Bachmann 101s which are basically identical and fitted with identical sound chips with identical CV settings. When I run them uncoupled close to each other around the layout, they stay virtually the same distance apart over many metres. Yet when I couple them together, they seem to fight each other when setting off. Once on the move, they seem OK. Not sure what more I can do to get them to work together better. The same applies to two Bachmann 37s that I have.

Like the latest piccies by the way.

Cheers

Dave

Ok Can someone help me out here. Because I am about ready to rip out all my decoders and go back to DC.

Problem is Two Bachmann class 25s both have same chip both had the same CV settings at 2,3,4,5,6, will not run in a consist. Play with CVs 3,4,5,6, in one loco to try and mach the other. Still no luck. Other option and I am tempted is to remove the motor and have a dummy loco.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Yes DCC is fine when it all works as intended, but very frustrating as you've found when it plays up...........

I've never had much success either consisting locos - 20/26/27's etc.  I've found that double heading - giving both locos the same address works better, at least for me . 

I'd suggest resetting both decoders to standard, then give both locos the same address. Make sure they are both set to the same SS = 128  Also check CV's 3 4 5 and 6 have the same values on BOTH locos.Place them both on the track a few inches apart, and drive them and observe if the gap is maintained or not going forwards and backwards. If one loco moves before the other, either reduce CV2 on the quicker one or increase CV2 on the slower one, by 1 at a time, until they will both start off at the same time, and maintain the gap between them when when moving.  CV's 3 4 5 & 6 can then be adjusted to suit if required.

Worth remembering that using the Inertia momentum button on the NCE alters the values in CV's 3 & 4 

Have a cold one ! .......and have another go at it..............

Regards

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

Hi Peter, 

I find it very hard to match locos for double-heading. I have two Bachmann 101s which are basically identical and fitted with identical sound chips with identical CV settings. When I run them uncoupled close to each other around the layout, they stay virtually the same distance apart over many metres. Yet when I couple them together, they seem to fight each other when setting off. Once on the move, they seem OK. Not sure what more I can do to get them to work together better. The same applies to two Bachmann 37s that I have.

Cheers

Dave

As I suggested in an earlier post, you could try turning off the BEMF on both locos/units. I have read somewhere that some US modellers report having to do this, although many of them run more than just two locos or units together.

I have had the odd problem where turning off the BEMF has helped, but those were related to individual locos and units, whereas I have also quite successfully run four EMUs with Lenz Standard decoders together in consists with no problems at all.

Peter, would you be able to share your WTT that you work too? I'd love to see what you use so that I may borrow ideas from it.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I will take a few pics from my red book that has the timetable scribbled in. I have been working on it for a while, Most of the loco hauled services where taken from a book 'Loco Hauled Travel 1986. Freight working were copied from another book and Rail mags from back in the day. I then worked out loco diagrams so loco's are in the right place at the right time. Local working by DMUs were fitted in around other workings but also have diagrams. 

As you know everything including coaching stock is diagramed, I will take a few pics of the loco roster board too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 4

Hi Peter, 

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It seems I am not the only one who is having trouble. I managed to get a Heljan 33 and Bachmann 37 running together the other night and they fight each other at the start but at speed 10 they run quite well. As Jeff mentioned the BEMF might be the answer.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter

Yes DCC is fine when it all works as intended, but very frustrating as you've found when it plays up...........

I've never had much success either consisting locos - 20/26/27's etc.  I've found that double heading - giving both locos the same address works better, at least for me . 

I'd suggest resetting both decoders to standard, then give both locos the same address. Make sure they are both set to the same SS = 128  Also check CV's 3 4 5 and 6 have the same values on BOTH locos.Place them both on the track a few inches apart, and drive them and observe if the gap is maintained or not going forwards and backwards. If one loco moves before the other, either reduce CV2 on the quicker one or increase CV2 on the slower one, by 1 at a time, until they will both start off at the same time, and maintain the gap between them when when moving.  CV's 3 4 5 & 6 can then be adjusted to suit if required.

Worth remembering that using the Inertia momentum button on the NCE alters the values in CV's 3 & 4 

Have a cold one ! .......and have another go at it..............

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

I did try giving them the same address but had no luck. Is there a way of setting the speed steps? Not sure I have done that. CV2 does seem to be the one I need to play with a bit more. I did find out about the momentum button changing CVs  too but it took a while for me to figure out what I had done.

I have had a couple of clod ones in the last few days so feel ready to have another go.

Thanks, Cheers Peter,

Hi Simon,

I will take a few pics from my red book that has the timetable scribbled in. I have been working on it for a while, Most of the loco hauled services where taken from a book 'Loco Hauled Travel 1986. Freight working were copied from another book and Rail mags from back in the day. I then worked out loco diagrams so loco's are in the right place at the right time. Local working by DMUs were fitted in around other workings but also have diagrams. 

As you know everything including coaching stock is diagramed, I will take a few pics of the loco roster board too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Peter.

Anything you can share would be gratefully received Peter.

As I suggested in an earlier post, you could try turning off the BEMF on both locos/units. I have read somewhere that some US modellers report having to do this, although many of them run more than just two locos or units together.

I have had the odd problem where turning off the BEMF has helped, but those were related to individual locos and units, whereas I have also quite successfully run four EMUs with Lenz Standard decoders together in consists with no problems at all.

Thanks Jeff,

Is there an easy way to turn off the BEMF?

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Jeff,

Is there an easy way to turn off the BEMF?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter. I'm not sure of the CV off-hand. If you can't find out with a quick online search, I'll try to find out for you later.

Thanks Jeff. Definitely worth a try.

Hi Ken,

I did try giving them the same address but had no luck. Is there a way of setting the speed steps? Not sure I have done that. CV2 does seem to be the one I need to play with a bit more. I did find out about the momentum button changing CVs  too but it took a while for me to figure out what I had done.

I have had a couple of clod ones in the last few days so feel ready to have another go.

Thanks, Cheers Peter,

Re changing the speed steps - being a Lenz user. I'm not that familiar with NCE hand sets, although it appears to have a  28/128 button on the bottom row, second in from the right ?  

Edited by tractor_37260

Anything you can share would be gratefully received Peter.

Hi Simon,

Pics below show my books which have given info on workings. The white board shows my loco diagrams with allocated loco's marked on the left using a white board marker so things can be changed each time I run the timetable. Next up are some pics taken from my book. Hopefully they are clear enough. As you can see there has been some re working and plenty of rubbing out. Some freight working are still being worked out but the Inter-City and Trans- Pennine workings are done and have been marked in with pen.

Each page shows 1 hour. The loco diagram is marked on the right. Checking the white board tells me what loco should be on each train. On the left side of page are extra notes which give other options to add some variety to the timetable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

post-7022-0-92868600-1485506439_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-42471100-1485506470_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-82517100-1485506497_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-14727100-1485506521_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-26545600-1485506569_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-43943200-1485506601_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-09585400-1485506627_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

31149 has now entered service, it's first working was on a ballast from Carforth. The train is seen arriving and running round it's train.

The loco now has Biffs sound on a V3.5 decoder thanks to SRman for doing the re-blow. This loco started life as a sound fitted triple grey loco so has lights that come on and off even  when turned off. I think this was a fault with some of the early ones, I am not sure if there is an easy fix apart from cutting the wires so they stay off.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-87585900-1485764387_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-84773600-1485764413_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-28766200-1485764445_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-41256000-1485764478_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

That was the best ever Livery for the 31, along with Banger Blue that is, and also the 37's I think Peter, some superb shots, thanks. I'll dig my 37's out today I think.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

That was the best ever Livery for the 31, along with Banger Blue that is, and also the 37's I think Peter, some superb shots, thanks. I'll dig my 37's out today I think.

Thanks Andy,

I do like the red stripe but you can't beat faded old blue. Just been catching up on your thread I will drop in again tomorrow to see some class 37 action.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2