Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

I wondered about that but wasn't sure if they were found in mechanical signalling installations.

I noticed the link showed the Wide To Gauge was powered. Mine would be mechanical so trap point probably easier option.

While on the subject of powering points the cross over down the far end near the blocks is a bit far from the signalbox to be operated by rodding so I thought clap lock motors might be the go. I am thinking that back in the day there would have been a ground frame but powered up during the early 80s.

Any thoughts

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-21414200-1486555675_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The main two points motors used today on the railway are HWs or Clamp Locks for powered points.

There also was some earlier points motors made by Metropolitan-Vickers, but cannot remember the name of them . . .? These are ones modelled by Peco.

The main two points motors used today on the railway are HWs or Clamp Locks for powered points.

There also was some earlier points motors made by Metropolitan-Vickers, but cannot remember the name of them . . .? These are ones modelled by Peco.

Hi Rich,

I did mean clamp lock, looks like I didn't type the m. 

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just got back from a few days in Newcastle and Sydney. So not a lot done in the last week. I did get the new track down before we left including a catch point made from an old point blade. Wiring up in the next job.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-52977600-1487822089_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-30480900-1487822106_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We have just got back from a few days in Newcastle and Sydney. So not a lot done in the last week. I did get the new track down before we left including a catch point made from an old point blade. Wiring up in the next job.

Cheers Peter.

You should have popped in for a play on the MCL Peter.

Don't forget to remove that steel rule from the tracks before powering on, Peter! ;)

Thanks Jeff,

I have wires everywhere under the layout at the moment. Track power  2 uncouplers and 3 point motors  to sort out  before the power goes on.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

You should have popped in for a play on the MCL Peter.

Thanks John,

Only had a few days so did the tourist thing Bridge, Rocks etc. Had a catch up with some family too. We will do a longer trip next time though so will let you know.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Some major work going on there Peter, looking forward to seeing it back, neat and tidy again soon.

I hope so too Andy, It might take a bit of time it's turned into a bit of a job.

Cheers Peter.

Some serious engineering work going on there Peter. Looks like you're going to be needing a fair few trains of ballast from Penmaenmawr to fix that little lot. 

Better get your Peds and Sea cows primed and ready. :D

Hi Marcus,

Ped on Ballast ready to go. Some wiring to do first though.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It'll look good when it's done Peter - it always does.  In the meantime best move that Crosville bus around to the front of the station to take your passengers where they wish to go ;)

Regarding the release crossovers in the station, we had small lever frames at Bradford, operated by the shunter but only after the box had released it to us. and they were still in place up until the early 2000's https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bradford_IC.jpg#/media/File:Bradford_IC.jpg

Thanks,

I might look into that. I will have a look at some pics of Holyhead and see how the crossovers were done there.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Some interesting PW works going on there. How you did manage to lift your ballast? I'm thinking of doing some reballasting at some time and was wondering about the best way to get the ballast up as easily as possible. I've heard that pouring a little boiling water onto the ballast and leaving it for a few minutes works.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Peter

Some interesting PW works going on there. How you did manage to lift your ballast? I'm thinking of doing some reballasting at some time and was wondering about the best way to get the ballast up as easily as possible. I've heard that pouring a little boiling water onto the ballast and leaving it for a few minutes works.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

This board is Sundela so I didn't use boiling water though a mate did it on his layout and it seemed to help. I pulled up the rail then used a hammer and chisel to get most of the sleepers and ballast off. Some sanding finished it off.

The track is now wired up so just needs to be fully tested. I am thinking of using something other than watered down PVA when I come to ballasting this time.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pete, I'm a bit late to this conversation having been distracted by real life for a bit. Some great progress and the 31s in particular have me inspired to go get one!

A couple of comments on the track and signalling if I may: I tend to agree that the trap point needs to be a wide to gauge. I'm just coming to the same conclusion for one of my own middle roads in the station where trains can run round, although for sanity reasons I'll probably make it a non-working point only. Also, I think that your distant signal coming into Lambourne should be of the fixed variety. A distant signal can only show green if all signals controlled by a box are also green, so outer home, home, starter, advance starter (if all are provided). As you don't have a starting signal in the inbound direction, just a buffer stop, it can only ever be considered a red (although like most buffer stops, I dare say a few drivers will have given it a good go as a green), so the distant would be fixed - no spectacle plates and a fixed yellow lamp. Hopefully this is useful.

I'm keen to see how you get on with your ballasting, as my own stone dropping looms ever closer.

Andy

Edited by 61656

• RMweb Gold

I'm sufficiently old (and grumpy!) to remember different practice. Green up to a buffer stop (for the long platforms) at a terminal station with colour light signalling was only changed in the mid 80s (+/- 5 yrs), so I'm fairly sure that distant off would have been OK too.

Paul.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if I understand you correctly but there is another signal between  the latest one with Distant arm just outside the tunnel.

Pic below.

I am almost at the ballasting stage I need to do a small ground frame for the station cross over. My usual method for ballasting has always been the watered down PVA but I have bought some latex based glue like Copydex as I have read it keeps the sound down a bit. So far this isn't working very well as the latex glue isn't drying after 3 days.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-10248300-1489665385_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks Mark,

It was taken a while ago. I wanted to show the signals near the station.

D200 is working the Irish Mail which is normally class 47 turn. I don't normally pit the headboard on the train but thought why not as it was something different to the normal class 47.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...