Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

I always liked the 31s in Dutch livery and Intercity Mainline too

Hi Gordon,

Oh yes Dutch livery is one of my favourite liveries. I do remember seeing an ex works class 31 at Llandudno  in the new Regional Rail livery and I really liked that too.

A few from back in the day.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-91981400-1485777812_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-54882800-1485777846_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-77787600-1485777910_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-38736200-1485778000_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

31327 was one of my first diesels after changing from steam. Still got it, she's enjoyed a few upgrades over the years too. When I get my house purchase sorted I'll be doing the full works on it

• Like 2

Even Rusty and distressed looks good Peter. Now that would be a weathering project.

Thanks Andy,

I was tempted to make 31149 a bit more weather worn but the time period for Llanbourne is 85 to 87 and red stripe livery didn't come out till mid 86 so if it was too dirty it would be wrong. Even my 37032 should be a bit cleaner. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

did Class 31s ever look cared for??? nearly every photo I've ever seen and memory has them looking well worked!!

I think when they came out of works but I think because they have grilles on the bodyside and raised beading they just get dirty more quickly.

Cheers Peter.

I think when they came out of works but I think because they have grilles on the bodyside and raised beading they just get dirty more quickly.

Cheers Peter.

they also frequently seemed to have oil leaking down out the seam of the lowest bodyside panel too. Was that at engine room floor level? cant imagine how grotty they were inside if that was the outside!

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of a supplier of (or way of making) the radiator grille cowl as fitted to the 31/4s? The only model I know with it fitted is the Hornby 'Dutch' livery 31 110 and 'Network Rail' 31 223; but I'd really like to replicate an early series 31/4 (like 31 403 above).

Having said that I'm not sure when the cowls were fitted as I've seen pictures around 1982 without the cowl.

The roof radiator cowl was actually the grille fitted upside down I believe, Cant remember why now though. It was something done much later on in proceedings.

I did this one on my 31 using cereal box card attached to the roof and then painted in superglue to harden it before painting.

post-6894-0-30095900-1398954543_thumb.jpg
  • Like 10

Does anyone know of a supplier of (or way of making) the radiator grille cowl as fitted to the 31/4s? The only model I know with it fitted is the Hornby 'Dutch' livery 31 110 and 'Network Rail' 31 223; but I'd really like to replicate an early series 31/4 (like 31 403 above).

Having said that I'm not sure when the cowls were fitted as I've seen pictures around 1982 without the cowl.

Hi Rich,

My 31403 started out as a standard blue one, I stole the cowl from a second hand 31233 in triple grey which was I think the first Hornby 31 with sound. It does mean playing around with the grilles a bit and they are quite delicate. I noticed the mesh on all the class 31s I have goes across at an angle and on the real thing the mesh goes straight with two support bars going long ways which I add with plasticard. The roof Grille from the blue one was saved until recently when I started work on 31149 which was the triple grey one.

You my be able to find a secondhand body with cowl or have a crack at making one like Cav. I think A1 models used to do one but they don't seem to be making anything these day.

I am not sure when the cowls started to be fitted this way but from what I could see about 84 85.

Cheers Peter. 

The roof radiator cowl was actually the grille fitted upside down I believe, Cant remember why now though. It was something done much later on in proceedings.

I did this one on my 31 using cereal box card attached to the roof and then painted in superglue to harden it before painting.

Hi Cav,

I have read something like that too, I think it help improve air flow though not sure.

Your 31 looks great Cav do you still have it? 

My next one is a Skinhead too, plan is to do 31444 in blue.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Love the 31's Peter.

Gives me some inspiration for mine.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

I noticed you had got yourself a 7mm class 31. You will have plenty of work to do on the body if you do the referbished one. 

Cheers Peter.

A great lineup Peter, makes me want to browse theifbay for a bargain or two NOW!

Thanks Simon,

I haven't looked for one in a while so not sure what price they go for these days. I did quite well with a few of mine the blue one cost me 25 quid each though that was a few years ago.

Cheers Peter.

Another great set of photos Peter.

Takes me back to many happy days on the North Wales coast railway.

John

Thanks John,

They did have quite a strong hold on the coast for a while didn't they. I did read that when they were first allocated to Crewe the local crews didn't like them very much preferring their class 25.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Trev,

I noticed your Dutch 31 is having a run out at the moment too.

Cheers Peter.

Sure is!

TBH I've got to turn the volume down on it as it drowns everything else out on the layout!

I have a couple of other Peds (mainly the Hornby ones) which are in various stages of fettling.

Aaaand my Mrs has just let me know that the one I bought last week has arrived too. Thats going to be either 201, 203 or 233, Ive not decided yet!

Im hankering after more Dutch and Coal sector stuff :)

Thanks

Trev :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have finished my 150 today, I am quite happy with it. Also coming off the workbench is a 142 that I have removed the  motors from and lowered to match the hieght of the 150. The plan is to have the 142 as a dummy to run with the 150 and my other 142 when I get round to re motoring it.

Hopefully the pics explain what I have done this is the second time I have written this  I seem to have dodgy internet.

Cheers Peter

I've only just come across this thread, how I managed to miss it for so long I have no idea!  Excellent layout, the realism in the photos is inspirational.  I hope you don't mind me going back a few pages to ask how you lowered the 142?  Do you still have any pics of the work?  

Also, is there a track plan or overall view anywhere on the thread?  Thanks  :thankyou: