RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

There was a hoax announcement a few days ago, but it seems that the news now is the real deal; the BBC News website are running the story too.

Most of the world-wide major news channels are also confirming this.  Wikipedia - not renowned for being a bastion of accuracy - has also noted it.  His passing is further acknowledged in the various "Celebrity Deaths" pages.  

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2022 at 20:00, SM42 said:

Our tip is a free for all. 

No trade waste but there are regularly vans present that are obviously in the business of waste disposal. 

If you have a trailer you are allowed a number of free visits per year and have to hand over a permit each time. 

Lord knows how you get on if your family car is a Toyota Hilux or similar 

It all seems a bit random. 

The tip here in Poznan has a weighbridge and you pay by the kilo for dumped rubbish. 

Mrs SM42 always stands off the weighbridge on the way out and gets shouted at by both me and the operator. 

As my car is registered as local (!@?) We don't have to pay now.

Andy

When we cut down the leylandii which belonged to either us or the neighbours (neither of us cared who, but since it was about to fall down after a storm, removing it was the wise option), I volunteered to dispose of it as while had all the tools to complete the job swiftly, he only had a Jag X-type and his builder's van.  The former would have required about 20 trips while the latter would have seen him charged £££.  It still took me about 4 trips in my Peugeot estate, although I did manage to dump some at the tip near work but 40 miles from home.  I had bugs crawling round the car for months afterwards though.

In other news, I've just returned from two days visiting my Dad, giving him the chance the talk railways to a willing listener (and contributor) for nearly 48 hours.  My sister also came round for the day with the second part of my "milestone" birthday present, two bottles of Penderyn Myth and Celt to go with the Legend she got me at the beginning of the year.  Oh and got home last night to find my daughter had made an LDC on Thursday.

Please accept that I do appreciate the cruelty of reporting this but not giving out my address. 

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Mrs JJB was busy in the kitchen yesterday as friends came over for dinner, traditional Indonesian food. The blue rice is purely for effect, put blue flowers in it when cooking to dye it, but very nice as it is nasi lemak. Nasi lemak is rice cooked in coconut milk. The brown stuff is tempeh in a spicy chilli sauce, very nice. And Indonesian layer cake for pudding.

image.png.9d9dc63a3a3ef3903828736ef55035df.png

image.png.d877eb309f6211abb38a7883f305ed93.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Mrs JJB was busy in the kitchen yesterday as friends came over for dinner, traditional Indonesian food. The blue rice is purely for effect, put blue flowers in it when cooking to dye it, but very nice as it is nasi lemak. Nasi lemak is rice cooked in coconut milk. The brown stuff is tempeh in a spicy chilli sauce, very nice. And Indonesian layer cake for pudding.

image.png.9d9dc63a3a3ef3903828736ef55035df.png

image.png.d877eb309f6211abb38a7883f305ed93.png

One of the things I always enjoyed about working with the Dutch, is that they are big on Indonesian food (rijstaffel?) 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Indonesian layer cake (kek lapis) is quite something, well worth seeking out to try (though it tends to be expensive if bought in a shop).

I think that the return flight for PB and I to visit a cake shop in Indonesia for just such a cake even more expensive!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The next event of note for me will be a meeting at Hunt Towers a week on Monday of the North Hipposhire TNMers for which I will be baking some LDC.  The suggestion that I also relay all the track on my layout to 32mm and this enable certain vehicles from the Hippodrome to run on it has, however, been summarily rejected by the permanent way committee.

That week appears to be filling up nicely with train events.

Mon:  TNM Posse Party @Hunt Towers

Tue:  BRMC Running day @ Llandrinio

Wed: Workshop tidying

Thu:  Pantmawr North working party: Evening @Broseley for 7mm Scale Society area group meeting.

Friday: CO's discretion.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

More years ago than enough, I did a skiing course with the CCF (they had some really good courses in those days!)

The course took the form of 10 days in Norway, during which we were taught to make a 50km cross-country trip and bivouac 

The Sergeant-Instructor made us the following promises on Day One...

1) by the end of the course, we would be able to ski better than "any ponce on the tv" 

2) we would never want to see skis, ever again

I have no standard of comparison for the first, but the second prediction has borne up remarkably well....

Nice to know that you actually learnt something though isn't it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

That meal is making my mouth water! Time to dig out the Indonesian cookbook!

After about 7 months we have finally had two inches of rain. The grass is starting to grow green but now the trees are turning brown.

Gwen's enjoying her new job guarding the chickens. 

IMG_2808.jpg.c6363b96231abf97e9602f87773558fa.jpg

regards Shaun

• Like 19

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Please accept that I do appreciate the cruelty of reporting this but not giving out my address. 

It may be Welsh (like me)

But thaat is the only thing I have in common with Penderyn,  Swn-y-mor or any other whisky, or whiskey - over the years I had too many "customers" in the rear of my 'company car' breathing the fumes over me.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

33 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

That meal is making my mouth water! Time to dig out the Indonesian cookbook!

After about 7 months we have finally had two inches of rain. The grass is starting to grow green but now the trees are turning brown.

Gwen's enjoying her new job guarding the chickens. 

IMG_2808.jpg.c6363b96231abf97e9602f87773558fa.jpg

regards Shaun

Shona, our Scottie, is now fourteen. She is also a good bit overweight and our groomer never fails to point out that all that extra weight is shortening her life.

On our walk this morning she spotted a squirrel and took off like a rocket.  She almost caught it too 😀

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

It may be Welsh (like me)

But thaat is the only thing I have in common with Penderyn,  Swn-y-mor or any other whisky, or whiskey - over the years I had too many "customers" in the rear of my 'company car' breathing the fumes over me.

It wasn't Penderyn:  Probably Teachers or Johnny Walker.

Penderyn is much too expensive to allow the fumes out having had a sip or two.  

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It wasn't Penderyn:  Probably Teachers or Johnny Walker.

Penderyn is much to expensive to allow the fumes out having had a sip or two.  

Having read that adult hippos can hold their breath for up to 5 minutes, then I guess that's useful  whilst consuming the good stuff.....................

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Well, the bad news is that I'm back after spending a delightful three weeks away, mainly in a small Spanish village in the mountains of Andalucia.........

So that's where the European Branch of the PRC Fighter Pilot's Training School is located.......🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I haven't a clue what the bottle is, we're both pretty much teetotal but people keep giving us bottles of stuff so we put it out and encourage guests to drink it.

Back in the sixties my late father was a controller at Kings Cross coach station. Part of his duties was organising coaches for various holiday companies. Shortly before one Christmas a director of one of the holiday companies turned up in his Rolls Royce and handed out a bottle of whisky each from a case in the boot of the roller to my dad and his colleagues. My dad thought it was ordinary whisky so he put it to one side and offered a nip to such as the insurance man and other callers. About three quarters of the bottle had gone when one of the callers remarked "This is good.", so my dad then read the label and discovered it was a twenty year old single malt. My dad was fond of his whisky and he was almost in tears. 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Nice to know that you actually learnt something though isn't it.

I learnt quite a lot from the CCF. It was compulsory to do at least 2 weeks "camp" a year and from my Service Record, which I still have I am reminded that I did snow walking in the Cairngorms, learnt to make a solo glider flight,the aforementioned skiing, diving and spent 4 days on a submarine under passage from Gibraltar to UK to be decommissioned. I learnt to shoot using the WW2 rifles every CCF had in their magazines. I did 11 weeks "camp" in 8 terms and on the whole enjoyed it

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I learnt quite a lot from the CCF. It was compulsory to do at least 2 weeks "camp" a year and from my Service Record, which I still have I am reminded that I did snow walking in the Cairngorms, learnt to make a solo glider flight,the aforementioned skiing, diving and spent 4 days on a submarine under passage from Gibraltar to UK to be decommissioned. I learnt to shoot using the WW2 rifles every CCF had in their magazines. I did 11 weeks "camp" in 8 terms and on the whole enjoyed it

You train hard and then fight easy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, BR60103 said:

This has now been officially denied.

There was a full report in my reliable morning paper. Apologies for previous post.

• Like 4