Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

33 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I've succeeded so far.

I haven't but I don't think  I've spent more than £100 in total. 

If I can find what I want local, I will. 

If not I'll go direct to the seller wherever they are.

Sometimes, you have little choice. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

For a moment this sounded like something Ryanair would offer passengers so the company could avoid landing fees.

Then I remembered Ryanair would make evacuation compulsory but charge £20pp for parachutes.

Would that be for pre-used ones, new or bring your own.

Asking for a friend.

• Funny 8

15 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I haven't but I don't think  I've spent more than £100 in total. 

If I can find what I want local, I will. 

If not I'll go direct to the seller wherever they are.

Sometimes, you have little choice. 

Andy

Direct from China then.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And whilst on the topic of “Swissness”, The decision of Toblerone‘s owners to move a good portion of the production of this Swiss icon outside of Switzerland has not enamoured them to too many Swiss.

Should enough Deltics/LDC/Midland Compounds/Pannier Tanks/Muddy Hollows or Sheds be raised, would anyone on TNW be interested in ”instructing” the owners of Toblerone about the error of their ways?

Just asking for some Swiss friends.

Surely CC Industrie Gmbh would be more than capable of taking on a mere global corporation?

Dave

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

………It’s been said, that even if local police, State police, the ATF, Homeland Security, the FBI and the Justice Department can’t touch you, the IRS can and will (which is how they finally nailed Al Capone)……..

Back in the early 70’s, I spent a year living in the States, having married my ex there. Before flying home, we had to ensure that we had paperwork to prove that we had paid city, state and federal taxes or we would not have been allowed to leave the country. 

Edited by Ashcombe
Change of tense
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Last home game of the regular season for The Hawks.  Took along my newly (re)discovered hockey buddy promising her of a close game against Widnes Wild.

We weren't disappointed with single goals traded through periods 1 and 2 with the typical end of season scores being settled.  Period three and the Hawks quickly took a 5-2 lead thanks to some indiscipline by the Wild. Wild scored a third with 90 seconds to go, and then pulled their net minder to go 6 on 5 to try and force the game to overtime.

But, a breakaway for the Hawks and the final score was 6-3. 

There's an away game at Deeside to end the league campaign, but I can't make it as I'm away playing trains at Macclesfield.  

End of season playoffs after that and we'll see what that brings.

All in all, a good weekend of playing and watching sport.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Indeed.

It’s been said, that even if local police, State police, the ATF, Homeland Security, the FBI and the Justice Department can’t touch you, the IRS can and will (which is how they finally nailed Al Capone)

By all means have a vast and sprawling crime Empire, but if you want long-term survival, make sure you file your taxes, completely, correctly and on time with the IRS.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed.

It’s been said, that even if local police, State police, the ATF, Homeland Security, the FBI and the Justice Department can’t touch you, the IRS can and will (which is how they finally nailed Al Capone)

By all means have a vast and sprawling crime Empire, but if you want long-term survival, make sure you file your taxes, completely, correctly and on time with the IRS.

Some years ago in the old US of A I followed a car that had a bumper sticker that read, "Fight organised crime, disband the IRS"

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I shall also be heading to Macclesfield to meet up with an old school friend and take in an exhibition as a bonus

Andy

Remember to take your sunglasses for a brightly populated layout 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

6 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Remember to take your sunglasses for a brightly populated layout 

I hear all the other layouts are not bothering with lighting. 

No point

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

36 minutes ago, Ashcombe said:

Back in the early 70’s, I spent a year living in the States, having married my ex there. Before flying home, we had to ensure that we had paperwork to prove that we had paid city, state and federal taxes or we would not have been allowed to leave the country. 

If you were delinquent on filing returns for the previous year that might have been flagged and could have caused a problem. The IRS has a long reach.

The only way we could get out of tax filing now would be to formally renounce US citizenship and that's not all that easy to do.

I had the pleasure of working in New York City for a bit when we lived in New Jersey. I had to file FOUR tax returns:

US Federal

New Jersey

New York State

New York City

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

30 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Some years ago in the old US of A I followed a car that had a bumper sticker that read, "Fight organised crime, disband the IRS"

Jamie

Americans like to whine about taxation. They should try living in the UK 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

A couple of years ago, on the advice of my accountant, I queried why I needed to send in a self assessment as I had retired. HMRC kindly wrote and told me that I no longer needed to submit a tax return.

So from that point on, I haven't.

Once I get to the seven year point, I can discard all my old paperwork.

On the front of more pleasantness, I did more work on the foam bridge.

The parapets and their cappings have been attached as have the three pilasters.

I've made the pilaster cappings and they will be filled painted and attached tomorrow morning.

With any luck I'll get the ironwork dealt with tomorrow, which just means a further two parapets and their respective capping stones to make up.  Then I can get on with the retaining walls.

We also did some gardening this afternoon.  I was only employed to lift heavy things and shovel compost.  I know my place!

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

I used to get sent self assessment forms. 

After a couple of years I got fed up with this and called them ( it was easier to do in those days)

I asked why they kept sending me forms. 

The reason I was asking was because there is a wonderful system called PAYE, maybe they had heard of it. 

They stopped sending me forms.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, TheQ said:

The top 1 % of tax payers already pay 34% of all income tax including national insurance.

What % of income do they earn?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SM42 said:

I used to get sent self assessment forms. 

After a couple of years I got fed up with this and called them ( it was easier to do in those days)

I asked why they kept sending me forms. 

The reason I was asking was because there is a wonderful system called PAYE, maybe they had heard of it. 

They stopped sending me forms.

Andy

I used to be on the PAYE system, but was still required to file a tax return.

My crime was deciding to invest a proportion of my salary into stocks and shares rather than the usual military mind set of spending it on expensive cars, high end stereo systems, and other instant gratifications.  The income I was receiving from playing the stock market pushed my salary into  the higher tax band, and as it was 'unearned'.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

ISTR an HO plastic structure kit maker offered "IRS on fire" as a building. Tugging at heartstrings!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR an HO plastic structure kit maker offered "IRS on fire" as a building. Tugging at heartstrings!

A reluctance to pay one's taxes rightfully due to the properly-constituted authority is deeply embedded in the (white Anglo-Saxon) American psyche. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A reluctance to pay one's taxes rightfully due to the properly-constituted authority is deeply embedded in the (white Anglo-Saxon) American psyche. 

Same here. "No taxation without representation" was, after all a slogan coined by men who regarded themselves as subjects of King George, and if Westminster had been able to come up with some coherent reply, there would probably never have been a Revolution at all.

That said, Georgian England wasn't a place where personal taxation was practiced. Taxes were levied on transactions, in those days; the point was that there was no provision for those early "Brother Johnathans" to VOTE on them. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1