Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SM42 said:

I noticed on my return that it gave me feedback on the short drive home. Apparently all good but I should maintain a constant speed to improve efficiency. 

Well I could but things like traffic lights, junctions snd roundabouts sort of mess that up. 

This is now a challenge to see if I can get it to swear, or at the very least say Crikey!.

Andy

Bear has often thought that a stroppy interactive Sat Nav might be fun....

"I told you to turn RIGHT there, not LEFT!!  Don't you ever listen you dumbf*ck??  Am I really wasting my time here or what??"

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not quite. It has a very great deal to do with how their parents educated them. I have no idea what the actual numbers are but my guess is that parental education constitutes at least 75%, and that's probably on the low side.

What's worrying to this Bear is that there's probably a great deal of truth in that - I've often thought that general behaviour levels are slowly decreasing as each successive generation of many parents are less strict than their own parents were when they were growing up.  It'll not end well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Oh dear!

Nothing to do with us matey! 

You did notice that big river! 🤪

Jason

But many of the visitors were from Liverpool, even more so when the pier was there and the ferry was running.  It reminds me of the proposal by the Electoral Commission to merge parts of Wallasey with parts of Bootle to form a new constituency. Until wiser heads pointed out that there was a river estuary between the two...

52 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Perhaps I should keep quiet about the fact that my father grew up in Wallasey and New Brighton. He was born in 1914 though. 

Jamir

That corner of the Wirral is an odd place to be sure, in olden days it was cut off by sand dunes and the marshy Birkett valley. Even today, it has a strangely insular feel...

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've often thought that general behaviour levels are slowly decreasing as each successive generation of many parents are less strict than their own parents were when they were growing up.  It'll not end well.

The only consolation is that we'll be gone before the offspring turn really feral...

• Like 6

9 hours ago, SM42 said:

I've been out train club in Mrs SM42's on hire ( whilst her super banging normal ride is in for repair) Toyota Yaris, 

I noticed on my return that it gave me feedback on the short drive home. Apparently all good but I should maintain a constant speed to improve efficiency. 

Well I could but things like traffic lights, junctions snd roundabouts sort of mess that up. 

This is now a challenge to see if I can get it to swear, or at the very least say Crikey!.

Andy

Will it do it in Polish?

• Funny 8

8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not quite. It has a very great deal to do with how their parents educated them. I have no idea what the actual numbers are but my guess is that parental education constitutes at least 75%, and that's probably on the low side.

To a degree I would agree but you are forgetting just how inheritantly lazy people are. Plus of course if a generation has grown up not being 'educated' then it is very difficult to change established patterns they will not just change overnight.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm afraid it's got nothing to do with education it's just pure and simple laziness. You are asking them to do something they just do not want to do. They see no reason to change how they have done it in the past and whilst there is very little personal impact- the recycling police jumping out and saying your nicked, why should they change.

10 hours ago, AndyID said:

The state of Texas ran an interesting anti-litter campaign on the main highways in the 1980s. They analyzed the trash found along these roads, determined the group responsible for most of it (young ‘rednecks’), and came up with a slogan that would appeal to that demographic, but still convey an anti-littering message (“Don’t mess with Texas”). The campaign had a significant effect on the amount of litter on the roads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Mess_with_Texas

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Perhaps I should keep quiet about the fact that my father grew up in Wallasey and New Brighton. He was born in 1914 though. 

Jamir

It's more that the article is saying it's Liverpool when it was historically in a different county separated by a natural border.

it's a bit like saying Wolverhampton is in Birmingham, Gateshead is in Newcastle or Salford is in Manchester. They're all separate places with their own identities.

Funnily enough I often drink "over the water" as they have loads of decent boozers there and it's a lot less "nightclub and stag/hen party" than Liverpool is nowadays, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

A few minutes on Merseyrail and you're there!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

Just a reminder, 50 years ago tomorrow on Friday 4th. May, 1973 the last W.R. 'Pullman' services ran.

Two photos of a set awaiting its' fate at Canton, by my late friend Glyn Attley.

Pullman set-Canton-1973-1-Glyn Attley.jpg

Pullman set-Canton-1973-2-Glyn Attley.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am running around like a demented hippo in a cake shop that also sells single malt whisky.

Minerva Models have announced they are going to make 7 mm scale 56xx 0-6-2T locos.

The excitement is just too much for me now.

Armed with both volumes of "The 0-6-2 Tank Papers" by Ian Sixsmith will make you realise you need to order several, in order to 'ring the changes'

I can hear a Hippo's  credit card crying from here 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, br2975 said:

Armed with both volumes of "The 0-6-2 Tank Papers" by Ian Sixsmith will make you realise you need to order several, in order to 'ring the changes'

I can hear a Hippo's  credit card crying from here 

I have both 'Papers'.

His most wonderful Lord Basten of Penarth has been sent a pre order for two sound fitted versions.  

1 x BR(W) Black (e/c) tall sv bonnet.

1x BR(W) lined green (l/c) short sv bonnet.

I'm happy these will cover my immediate needs when Aberflyarff (LL) gets off the ground. 

In fact that project is more likely to get going now I have more of an incentive.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

In fact that project is more likely to get going now I have more of an incentive.

Incentive..................

At 7:00 am this morning I was building scenery formers for the hills that will surround Aberflyarff Exchange Sidings.

Unfortunately, no 56s will be gracing the 1970  Efflew Valley in the forseeable future (4mm that is)

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

What's worrying to this Bear is that there's probably a great deal of truth in that - I've often thought that general behaviour levels are slowly decreasing as each successive generation of many parents are less strict than their own parents were when they were growing up.  It'll not end well.

A quote from my days in youth justice - 'It's all about the parenting'. 'nuff said.

37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Minerva Models have announced they are going to make 7 mm scale 56xx 0-6-2T locos.

Oh crumbs.  Too heavy for the Forest.  Who cares, it's My Forest!  Anyone want to buy a 14xx?

• Like 8
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The big cranes are at DPWorld. Not a theme park, a container facility. The cranes are rather large and after they arrived from China they unloaded themselves from the ship somehow. 
162FBB55-20CB-41BF-9B17-FE5849FC7D9C.jpeg.cfd66f03ebd9098ca48baf60c02daba8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Incentive..................

At 7:00 am this morning I was building scenery formers for the hills that will surround Aberflyarff Exchange Sidings.

Unfortunately, no 56s will be gracing the 1970  Efflew Valley in the forseeable future (4mm that is)

I might have a 4mm scale one sculling around for a bit of alternative history:  Just don't paint it blue!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I might have a 4mm scale one sculling around for a bit of alternative history:  Just don't paint it blue!

How about blue with yellow spots is that acceptable enough.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's more that the article is saying it's Liverpool when it was historically in a different county separated by a natural border.

it's a bit like saying Wolverhampton is in Birmingham, Gateshead is in Newcastle or Salford is in Manchester. They're all separate places with their own identities.

Funnily enough I often drink "over the water" as they have loads of decent boozers there and it's a lot less "nightclub and stag/hen party" than Liverpool is nowadays, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

A few minutes on Merseyrail and you're there!

Don't tell the newspapers that they'll have a fit. They already have problems differentiating between London and the South now you're going to tell them there are separate cities up oorth.

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, br2975 said:

And before you all ask the obvious question  ...........  yes, the lady who posted this to Facebook IS,  and hails from Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Paella-modified.jpg

Nyda asked why the lady in question didn't just get on the internet and Google a paella recipe?

But perhaps the lady thinks that the internet is a bit fishy as well.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

From the Minerva Models website:

image.png.a44de975d20669628c568f1b8d4fc033.png

It appears that the scan also shows the later weld line down the centre of the tank which was typical of the majority of the fleet after some years of service.

Of course now it's been announced, I really want mine yesterday, although my wallet is a little less enthusiastic and says next year will be soon enough.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

From the Minerva Models website:

image.png.a44de975d20669628c568f1b8d4fc033.png

It appears that the scan also shows the later weld line down the centre of the tank which was typical of the majority of the fleet after some years of service.

Of course now it's been announced, I really want mine yesterday, although my wallet is a little less enthusiastic and says next year will be soon enough.

Is that some sort of photoshoppery to create the abomination of another set of wheels?

Are they to stop it falling over backwards?

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

It may be an attempt to portray the loco in original condition as first built in 1924, as it also predates the sliding cab shutters and extended centre front bufferbeam lamp bracket.  These features, as well as the very heavily counterbalanced central driving wheels, were introduced after the initial production of the locomotives, in response to issues found with them in service; there were also modifications to the brake rigging.

The shutters were a response to complaints from South Wales crews, especially on the Rhymney section, that the cabs were exposed to crosswinds compared to those on the Rhymney P, R, and M classes, and presaged their introduction on other GW side tank engines, and of shutters mounted inside the cabs on pannier and the 48xx/58xx as well.  The low 'set' and forward positioning of the smokebox door meant that it was liable to foul a lamp on the front centre lamp bracket when it was opened, the counterbalancing improved the ride from the inclined inside cylinders, and there were complaints about both the effectiveness (a serious matter in South Wales where banks are steep and loaded coal trains are unfitted) of the loco's brakes and the grinding noise that ensued when they were applied.

OTOH, & TTBOMK, the bunker cowling protecting the real top lamp bracket was not present on the initial build of these locos, and the later vertical tank re-inforcing weld is visible.  Can't see any lamp brackets on the bunker or smokebox top, either.  I'm sure Minerva will sort it all out before the locos are produced, and the variations will all be catered for.  While I have no personal interest in this model, as I model in 00 and am happy with my Bachmann 56xxs, I am pleased to see this release, as they are one of my favourite locos (I remember them blasting up the bank on the Rhymney main line under Monthermer Road Bridge in Cathays, Cardiff, with trains of empties, for all the world like terriers straining at the leash, nose to the ground and all pull), and any model of them in any scale increases awareness of them and converts more fans.

Be one of us.  One of us, one of us...

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Is that some sort of photoshoppery to create the abomination of another set of wheels?

Are they to stop it falling over backwards?

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

any model of them in any scale increases awareness of them and converts more fans.

Be one of us.  One of us, one of us...

I think the summary of the second post is "Yes".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't tell the newspapers that they'll have a fit. They already have problems differentiating between London and the South now you're going to tell them there are separate cities up oorth.

One of "shout at the TV" moments a few years ago, was the televised FA Cup match between Blyth Spartans and Hartlepool United, being described as a "Local Derby".  It's about as local as Brighton playing Charlton Athletic; Manchester and Sheffield are closer together.

Morons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pH said:

The state of Texas ran an interesting anti-litter campaign on the main highways in the 1980s. They analyzed the trash found along these roads, determined the group responsible for most of it (young ‘rednecks’), and came up with a slogan that would appeal to that demographic, but still convey an anti-littering message (“Don’t mess with Texas”). The campaign had a significant effect on the amount of litter on the roads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Mess_with_Texas

I had one of their stickers on my rear car window for maybe ten+ years and it did not fade very much. It was still on the car when I traded it in last month. Somewhere I have another (I think) , I may put it on my current ride.

• Like 8