Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

36 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If I'm remembering this correctly algae blooms are the result of too much nitrate so I'm assuming - always dangerous that, the lighting creates too much nitrogen? Whether that's correct I'm certain someone will say.

Well, air is already about 80% nitrogen so a small increase wouldn't have much effect but I think what does happen is that the high temperatures in a lightning strike breaks down the nitrogen in the air and allows it to combine with air to form oxides of nitrogen (aka NOx) That's the same stuff that diesel engines produce that causes smog.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If I'm remembering this correctly algae blooms are the result of too much nitrate so I'm assuming - always dangerous that, the lighting creates too much nitrogen? Whether that's correct I'm certain someone will say.

Yes that does sound like what a friend tells me. 

24 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Possibly, but more likely fertiliser in the run off from the heavy rain that inevitably accompanies the fireworks. 

Andy

Fortunately the poois filledlfrom rain and the local water supply.  If that has been contaminated by nitrates then it's a possibility.  According to my other half, many other people are complaining about green pools on Faceache.  We did have a series of thunderstorms about a fortnight ago. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Obviously, Friday is the medical chat day.  I am currently in Shrewsbury hospital awaiting a follow up appointment.  Nothing to worry about  just a routine check. My only worry is that I'll overrun the car parking time allowance and have to pay extra.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Obviously, Friday is the medical chat day.  I am currently in Shrewsbury hospital awaiting a follow up appointment.  Nothing to worry about  just a routine check. My only worry is that I'll overrun the car parking time allowance and have to pay extra.

Parking time allowance ?!?

Down here in the Duchy, you pay from the minute you enter - unless you have someone with you who can take advantage of the free two hours parking at the retail complex opposite!

CJI.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We did have a series of thunderstorms about a fortnight ago. 

As has been mentioned there is a lot of nitrogen in the atmosphere. This is molecular nitrogen, two nitrogen atoms very strongly bonded together. This strong bond makes the  atmospheric nitrogen fairly inert. However being blasted by lightning cause the nitrogen molecules to split and and the nitrogen atoms readily combine with oxygen. The oxides of nitrogen are soluble. This falls in the rain. Nitrogen fixation in soil is an important part of the fertility of the land. Algae respond quickly to a dose of nitrogen compounds so bloom. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

As has been mentioned there is a lot of nitrogen in the atmosphere. This is molecular nitrogen, two nitrogen atoms very strongly bonded together. This strong bond makes the  atmospheric nitrogen fairly inert. However being blasted by lightning cause the nitrogen molecules to split and and the nitrogen atoms readily combine with oxygen. The oxides of nitrogen are soluble. This falls in the rain. Nitrogen fixation in soil is an important part of the fertility of the land. Algae respond quickly to a dose of nitrogen compounds so bloom. 

Clever, nature, ennit?

On that basis would NOx from  internal combustion engines  act as a fertiliser when it rains, creating more plant growth  which turn absorbs more atmospheric CO2?

In medical news. 

Off to physio this afternoon, ready for all the good work to be ruined by going to work tomorrow

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Parking time allowance ?!?

Down here in the Duchy, you pay from the minute you enter - unless you have someone with you who can take advantage of the free two hours parking at the retail complex opposite!

CJI.

It's the same here, although the Royal Shrewsbury does not have any  convenient free car parking outside the grounds due to it's remote location and parking restrictions  outside the grounds.  

The charges are graded into time units so the first 2 hours is £3.50, with further increments the longer you stay.  That's why I wanted to be inside the 'allowance'. i.e. not paying more than the standing charge of £3.50.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Clever, nature, ennit?

On that basis would NOx from  internal combustion engines  act as a fertiliser when it rains, creating more plant growth  which turn absorbs more atmospheric CO2?

In medical news. 

Off to physio this afternoon, ready for all the good work to be ruined by going to work tomorrow

Andy

The nitrogen dioxide from burning fossil fuels can be harmful to humans and plants. Lightning acting on atmospheric nitrogen probably doesn’t get as acidic as traffic smog over some cities. Actually I think modern vehicles like Euro 6 engined vehicles are pretty good at meeting NOx limits especially now that the cheats have been denounced . 
Whwn I was studying A level chemistry the production of ammonia from hydrogen and nitrogen was a demonstration experiment. The nervous new teacher knocked over the hydrogen cylinder causing it to vent. He said “out now” and we left the lab rapidly. Our usual teacher went in and sorted it. When we left the lab the new teacher had shut the door and held the handle. . There was a frantic banging. He hadn’t noticed the very short student was still behind him. That student went on to a career in industrial health and safety! What was odd was that the experiment was set up with the nitrogen cylinder in a proper holder while the hydrogen cylinder was in an upturned lab stool.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, SM42 said:

I thought it was normally

Fly Navy

Sail Army

Walk sideways 

Andy

Not forgetting the old adage, "If God had meant the army to fly he'd have painted the sky brown."

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's actually because the lightning makes animals (and some people) sh!t scared and poo contains lots of fertiliser.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The “wind” from cows affecting global climate change doesn’t require them to fly. 

… as evidenced by the fact that the cow didn’t fly over the moon, she just jumped over it.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I once saw a flying cow. Admittedly it was slung underneath a Chinook but it still counts. The reason it was slung under a Chinook was that some naughty pilot had passed a bit too close to the poor animal, which had then panicked and blindly galloped over the edge of a cliff but had only dropped about ten feet or so when it landed on a ledge where it was marooned. Since the RAF was to blame it was agreed that the farmer had a reasonable claim for assistance (the cow was miraculously unhurt by the fall) so the Chinook was despatched to effect the recovery. It was quite a complex process involving a vet and some members of a mountain rescue team as well but was ultimately successful. The pilot was deep in the stuff the cow had emitted in its panic.

And no, it wasn't me.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I once saw a flying cow. Admittedly it was slung underneath a Chinook but it still counts. The reason it was slung under a Chinook was that some naughty pilot had passed a bit too close to the poor animal...........The pilot was deep in the stuff the cow had emitted in its panic.

A Certain Bear once flew with numerous overseas Lynx Aircrew (not RN or UK) whilst on a rather excellent overseas Jolly sorry, difficult and demanding highly technical and dangerous mission.

Sadly all did not go to plan and we had to return a while later for another go (snigger snigger) and Bear enquired after one of the Pilots I previously flew with (a very nice Guy - and rated by RN Aircrew Instructors as "a Good Pilot").

Anyway, it seems that during a night flight and on approach to the Ship he managed to fly good 'ol Larry into the Sea.  Oops.

By all accounts the Rad Alt. Low Height Audio Warning had sounded (not sure what it was dialled in at - 50ft maybe?) and he cancelled the alarm.  The next thing was the Observer shouting "PULL UP, PULL UP!!" but before he could do so they were in the 'oggin.  Poo.

And then he flew Larry out again......

Just skimmed the surface?  Oh no.  He wiped off the chin mounted Radome, filled the cockpit with Sea water, lost the Radios, lost the electrics....it was a miracle the thing stayed flying.  It took three attempts to get it on the Flight Deck.

Once the Ship had returned to Port they were then faced with the dilemma of how to get poor 'ol Larry off the Ship and back to the Air Base about a minute away.  The only acceptable way to lift a Larry is using a lifting beam attached to the Main Rotor Head.  But they didn't have a lifting beam - it had to come from the UK.....

So poor Larry sat on the back of the Ship for 3 months until the LB arrived....

The Resident Rep. was screaming at them to hose poor Larry down every day with fresh water to minimise the salt water corrosion damage.  Did they?  Oh no......

By the time Larry made it back to the Hangar the repair bill had six zero's on the end......

And the Aircrew?  Well they had to attend a Courts Martial - whereupon the Pilot took the rap and the Observer was exonerated, rightly I think.

As for the Pilot's punishment, well it seems he had to attend an Officer Training Course (despite already being an Officer and having attended the course).

I'd call that a bit of a result.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 2