RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
Just now, jamie92208 said:

I was once on Sale of the Century in uniform. 

Ja ie

I'd keep quiet about that, if I was you!

We all do things that we regret later.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I was interviewed by a TV crew on a certain train travelling non-stop from Kings Cross to Edinburgh on the 1st May 1968.  

I may have been the youngest passenger on it, I don't know 🤔    I didn't appear on the subsequent documentary film which I have to say I still enjoy.  

Maybe my photogenic good looks hadn't quite developed enough at the time?

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I made a brief appearance in a documentary aired BC ( before covid) and we have yet to appear on the local TV channel in Poznan, despite the roving newscrew picking the most inopportune moment to point  a camera in our faces for some sort of vox pop piece.

We are mainly in the process of buying,  for want of a better term, excise goods, and I'm busily stuffing them into a rucksack when they appear. 

They once tried to interview Mrs SM42 about the city traffic jams, not realising that she wasn't the driver of the car, stuck in the traffic, that they picked on

😁

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, pH said:

How much did you go for?

Not a lot but I did win and had a cuddle from Linda Hooks.  Even better I got two days duty elsewhere to appear. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, pH said:

How much did you go for?

Jamie also appeared (in uniform) on 'Cash in the Attic' but when they got him to the auction failed to raise a single bid.

He should have made a couple of quid, but someone noticed his truncheon was bent and split.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

I made my first (and last) TV appearance on the telly when The Beeb broadcast our church service. I was probably obliged to wear my kilt for the event (Modern MacBeth tartan if you must know) but as it was well over sixty years ago I really cannot remember.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Jamie also appeared (in uniform) on 'Cash in the Attic' but when they got him to the auction failed to raise a single bid.

He should have made a couple of quid, but someone noticed his truncheon was bent and split.

I have advised the mod that any references to Clapham Junction should be immediately deleted.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

not realising that she wasn't the driver of the car,

Something similar happened to us . We arrived at our hotel in Germany, pulled up outside  the hotel in their loading and unloading zone. We couldn’t see the proper parking so as I halted I suggested Aditi got out and went in and enquired and I would go round the block while she sorted it out. As she got out of the car,a man leapt up from his terrace table, stood right next to her, and started shouting at her about leaving her car with the engine running while people were eating. I heard her say in German that she wasn’t the driver and he was obstructing her. I suspect at this point he realised it wasn’t a LHD vehicle. He just turned and stomped back to his meal. When I eventuality returned and parked there to unload our luggage,  as instructed, I gave him my best “hard stare”. 
Tony

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A quick bit of track laying before we begin the trek back.

20230709_110053.jpg.6afe2fe966779aa2562105df02392a1a.jpg

I didn't realise that at last you have switched to S7 HH. Well done.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I didn't realise that at last you have switched to S7 HH. Well done.

Dave 

And Midland Railway!!

It is battery operated so you can't stop it using one of my shorting rods. (I'm missing one, did I leave it at your place?)

It is also radio controlled through some electrikery called an App.

Edited by Happy Hippo
Tech Info.
  • Like 5
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PupCam said:

There was one of the regular but not frequent model flying meets at Tibenham in Norfolk yesterday. 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend but a friend usually records the attractions which generally would be of little interest here but I thought these two shots might quicken the pulse of our resident Hunter Boy @Dave Hunt!

I still want a gas turbine and I would definitely want it in a Hunter.   Such a beautiful aeroplane.

358659137_10161832016111412_5597388100731027828_n.jpg.da436e9df0a3569b7c85f2885588d47c.jpg

358373658_10161832012551412_8820123383707725819_n.jpg.9142667dd11839eb7fd6d21b40f671b9.jpg

Thanks to my mate Kevin for the use of his photographs 👍

Alan

Thanks Alan. If only it had markings other than 19 Sqn. but then that is being picky. It's a Mk. 6 which were beautiful birds to fly.

Dave

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks Alan. If only it had markings other than 19 Sqn. but then that is being picky. It's a Mk. 6 which were beautiful birds to fly.

Dave

I presume this is the Mk IXb.

MkIXb.jpg.5bf683e1cb4bdcf0d9ae31cfa24a1b69.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

I've been on the local ITV News, The (then) Duchess of Cornwall opened a restored bridge on the Wilts & Berks Canal, so the crew came and did their interviews with us minions strimming grass in the background. Take 2 was the same interviews, us still in the background, only this time the 2-stroke engines were off and we were just waving the strimmers in the grass - they were too noisy!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think quite a few TNMers might have had the opportunity to appear on television.

Police 5.....

Crimewatch....

Animal Magic.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

And Midland Railway!!

It is battery operated so you can't stop it using one of my shorting rods. (I'm missing one, did I leave it at your place?)

It is also radio controlled through some electrikery called an App.

I anticipate a possible issue at the next turnout. Looks like it might split.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Something I wondered about, and probably don’t even know enough about to even formulate a Google query would be , how do aerodynamics “scale”? If you make a model 1 :4 in dimensions and want all the flaps and rudders to be scale is that achieved by having a different power to weight ratio?

The aerodynamics aren't 'scaled down' so to speak as a thing called Reynold's number, which has a marked effect on them, changes with size but the general principles are fairly similar so that the handling aspects will be somewhat akin to the full size unless you go to the margins of the envelope. I once saw a quarter scale F4 at a meeting and the builder was complaining that it Dutch rolled like crazy on the approach if you weren't careful. I said that the full size one did that if you made an approach with the yaw stability augmentation turned off so he'd obviously got the model right, although it wasn't much help to him really.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think quite a few TNMers might have had the opportunity to appear on television.

Police 5.....

Crimewatch....

The Telegoons?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8