12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

WOPA WOPA WOPA WOPA

It's a Chinook returning.

12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Thank you and Phil!!

A Hippo in a Chinook?? Welcome back!!!!

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

More under than in?

Better than danglin' from a cluster of balloons!

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The current Rolls Royce looks like something a pimp would drive.

Here the humble Aussie Sports  Ute

image.png.9e3e62c8c512bf4003ceb73399625632.png

Has been replaced by this kind of feral invader, taking over everything like the cane toads have.

image.png.54c0149dbf35ce20be59e87c9d1849db.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

My great uncle (on my mother’s side) back in the 1960s rented a council house which came with a separate garage. Not having a car to put in it, he decided to rent it out. He got a very nice income from a local bookie, who every morning would arrive in his Rolls Royce and proceed to park it in the garage for the day, driving an older and more mundane car to his place of work. Every evening he would turn up and swap them back again before driving home.

His reasoning was that if his punters saw him arriving at work in his Rolls Royce that they would realise that the only real ‘winner’ is the bookie taking the bets and that he was doing rather too well for himself, and therefore decide not to gamble their money with him!

According to my mum, that is why my great uncle never placed a bet on anything in his life.

So, maybe not just footballers?

Steve S

I seem to remember that when Maggie became PM, that Dennis was told not drive up to no 10 in his Roller as it wouldn't go down well with the voters.  She had married the bosses son.   As to what a pimp would drive these days, I haven't knowingly met any since I retired so wouldn't know. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I think I may have told the story before of a bloke in the Slough area about 30 years ago, who worked in some very normal-paying job but had bought himself an old Rolls-Royce; after the 1973 oil crisis, secondhand ones were relatively cheap for years and not expensive to run if you kept the mileage down.

He was made redundant and for a while was on unemployment benefit (entirely within his rights) for which he had to attend the dole office.  Of course, he made a point of driving there to sign on each week/fortnight in his Roller, knowing that it would annoy the hell out of the DHSS staff who no doubt wondered how on earth he was eligible for benefits.

I remember them being cheap in the 70'swas it the early Silver Shadows. The first with a monocoque body rather than coach built on a chassis. 

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

The cheapest Rollers could be found at the bottom of a swimming pool I believe. 

I have been in the garage all afternoon attempting to

A. Clean it after Sunday's flood. 

and

B. Make a low table effort for the bicycles to stand on. 

The main reason is to lift them up so that they are above the step at either end of the space we have for them, thus allowing them to be a bit less sticky outy  and make it easier to get round the car and open the boot. 

So far my drill battery has gone flat and I have broken one drill bit through rather carelessly trying to drill a curved hole. 

I'm now awaiting the battery to recharge. 

The screws for the job we're bought by weight in the local DIY shed.  Some OSB that comes in a variety of sizes, in my case 1200 x 600mm and 200 x 600mm  to give the 1400mm I needed was also purchased. 

The plywood section looks worth investigating for baseboard size pieces too. 

Tomorrow we are off to Zmigrod for the  armed forces day picnic. 

Lord knows what will be going on but I suspect some firearms may be involved if last year's events are anything to go by

Andy

• Like 13

Apart from restoring a Hawker Hurricane, Peter Vacher also restored old RRs. I knew him through work and stayed at his place in Abingdon one time. He showed me the old RR he was restoring in his barn. It was formerly a hearse. and had been completely rewired but he went to the trouble of sliding the original braided sleeving on wires where they came out of conduits.

https://hawkerrestorations.co.uk/_images/_articles/flypastjun05.html

Edited by AndyID
speeling
  • Like 12

30 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I wonder how many will catch the Keith Moon reference?

Who?

Finished in the garage. 

The bike table is a success and measure to within 20mm of being too small 

It's like a job down the town.

There is some French beer in the fridge that the BiL brought back off their holidays. 

It won't be in there much longer.

Andy

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I think I may have told the story before of a bloke in the Slough area about 30 years ago, who worked in some very normal-paying job but had bought himself an old Rolls-Royce; after the 1973 oil crisis, secondhand ones were relatively cheap for years and not expensive to run if you kept the mileage down.

He was made redundant and for a while was on unemployment benefit (entirely within his rights) for which he had to attend the dole office.  Of course, he made a point of driving there to sign on each week/fortnight in his Roller, knowing that it would annoy the hell out of the DHSS staff who no doubt wondered how on earth he was eligible for benefits.

Reminds me of someone I was at school with who borrowed a car from his dad to take his driving test in.  I can't remember what his dad did for a living, but it was enough to run to a range rover and a roller.

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Funny 8