Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Peter Principle?

That is a person is promoted to the maximum of their inefficiency 

The Dilbert Pronciple is slightly different 

The least effective workers are systematically moved to where they can do least damage; mamagement

Not sure that works for an MP

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Our weekend guest has bought me these 

20240405_182308.jpg.7c07150ce781003a72b19b5c2c44aa04.jpg

Cheeky mare

Andy

If you don't need them, Dave Hunt and I will share a packet between us.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I suspect the app would contain the details if those who had “agreed” to have their membership details distributed. That is why reading those  “I  do , do not “ tick boxes on membership forms is sensible. 

If I'm only reading an article and one of those boxes pop up I just delete it (most have an X in a top corner for that purpose).

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

If I'm only reading an article and one of those boxes pop up I just delete it (most have an X in a top corner for that purpose).

This was I believe an app for for members of a political party to pay for access to,other members contact details. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

16 hours ago, SM42 said:

Our weekend guest has bought me these 

20240405_182308.jpg.7c07150ce781003a72b19b5c2c44aa04.jpg

Cheeky mare

Andy

Indeed, Andy, indeed.

And, I might say, a perfect example of the “medicalisation of the normal”; inventing (undoubtedly expensive) treatments for things that don’t need treating.

Oldgiteritis is perfectly natural and comes from many years of world weary experience with the realities of life.

There are actually three stages (or types if you will):

• Old Git (OG)
  • Grumpy Old Git (GOG)
  • Cynical Grumpy Old Git or Curmudgeonly Grumpy Old Git (CGOG)

Some authorities believe that Cynical Grumpy Old Git and Curmudgeonly Grumpy Old Git are mutually exclusive conditions. However, recent research shows that there is a state of perfection beyond that of CGOG, which is CCGOG: Cynical and Curmudgeonly Grumpy Old Git.

I am perfectly at ease with, and comfortable with, the (self) diagnosis of CCGOG and I’m most emphatically against any sort of treatment for my so-called “condition“.

And I bitterly resent any young person (i.e. anyone under the age of 50), telling me what I should or shouldn’t be! That is definitely ageism hate speech!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I use Persil as it gets everything sparkling.

Over here where @Oldddudders and I live,Persil is a very nice garnish that we grow in tubs.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Probably because we are starting to batten down the hatches! 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Probably because we are starting to batten down the hatches! 

Our neighbours are returning from North Wales today to the relative calm of South Essex. I think they hoped to set off before Storm Kathleen affected their journey. It is a bit blustery here and isn’t expected to be much worse later today. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Returning, for a moment, to the “joke“ box of medication, did anyone notice the words “ take extra care with dentures” in the top right corner?

Why do people assume that anyone over 65 years of age is deaf, senile and edentulous? Although the United Kingdom is infamous (and justly so) for poor dentition and dental care, even in GB there are people 65 years of age or older who still have all their teeth (that’s original teeth, not “their own dentures [as opposed to shared dentures? The mind boggles]).

I wonder if this ageist stereotype derives from our grandparents generation? They indeed suffered the consequences in older age of inadequate nutrition and medical care in early childhood, plus dealing with all the stresses of fighting a world war coupled with a generally lax attitude towards health and safety in the working environment. 

When they set up the state pension, they expected few people to make it past 70 or so once retired. Nowadays, notwithstanding the Traditional British Diet (fried carbohydrates with a side of order of carbohydrates, followed by sugary carbohydrates - all washed down by alcoholic carbohydrates) more people are living well past the mid-70s than ever before.

This may not be sustainable.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Indeed, Andy, indeed.

And, I might say, a perfect example of the “medicalisation of the normal”; inventing (undoubtedly expensive) treatments for things that don’t need treating.

Oldgiteritis is perfectly natural and comes from many years of world weary experience with the realities of life.

There are actually three stages (or types if you will):

• Old Git (OG)
  • Grumpy Old Git (GOG)
  • Cynical Grumpy Old Git or Curmudgeonly Grumpy Old Git (CGOG)

Some authorities believe that Cynical Grumpy Old Git and Curmudgeonly Grumpy Old Git are mutually exclusive conditions. However, recent research shows that there is a state of perfection beyond that of CGOG, which is CCGOG: Cynical and Curmudgeonly Grumpy Old Git.

I am perfectly at ease with, and comfortable with, the (self) diagnosis of CCGOG and I’m most emphatically against any sort of treatment for my so-called “condition“.

And I bitterly resent any young person (i.e. anyone under the age of 50), telling me what I should or shouldn’t be! That is definitely ageism hate speech!

What about Randy Scouse Gits?

One for the teenagers there!

For those that don't know it's what Alf Garnett called the Tony Booth character in Til Death Us Do Part and later a song by The Monkees.

spacer.png

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Returning, for a moment, to the “joke“ box of medication, did anyone notice the words “ take extra care with dentures” in the top right corner?

Why do people assume that anyone over 65 years of age is deaf, senile and edentulous? Although the United Kingdom is infamous (and justly so) for poor dentition and dental care, even in GB there are people 65 years of age or older who still have all their teeth (that’s original teeth, not “their own dentures [as opposed to shared dentures? The mind boggles]).

I wonder if this ageist stereotype derives from our grandparents generation? They indeed suffered the consequences in older age of inadequate nutrition and medical care in early childhood, plus dealing with all the stresses of fighting a world war coupled with a generally lax attitude towards health and safety in the working environment. 

When they set up the state pension, they expected few people to make it past 70 or so once retired. Nowadays, notwithstanding the Traditional British Diet (fried carbohydrates with a side of order of carbohydrates, followed by sugary carbohydrates - all washed down by alcoholic carbohydrates) more people are living well past the mid-70s than ever before.

This may not be sustainable.

Re dentures, before the NHS "working class" people, especially women, would have a trip to the dentists as their 21st birthday present, to have all their teeth removed and a full set of shiny new dentures fitted.  To be fair, by time they were 21, their teeth might be rotting away already, preventative dental treatment not being a normal procedure for children pre-NHS. It saved a lot of continuing pain and occasional dental visits.

After the introduction of FREE NHS dental treatment, there was a flood of men and women wanting complete extractions and full dentures.  Partial dentures were not as popular because vulcanite and then plastic ones were relatively bulky and fragile, and before the introduction of cobalt-chrome, metal dentures were gold and thus rather expensive, even on the NHS.

It was this demand for dentures on the NHS that led to charges being introduced for dental treatment, charges that have become more onerous as years have gone by.

Where were we?  🤔🤪

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've not heard any screams from the Northern outpost yet!

They're not due to arrive until 1300. I've got net to my chair a large bag full of choccy treats that I will throw at them as soon as they enter the room.

Dave 

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

They're not due to arrive until 1300. I've got net to my chair a large bag full of choccy treats that I will throw at them as soon as they enter the room.

Dave 

How about a walking stick with a drawing pin sellotaped to the bottom as an added precaution?

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

What about Randy Scouse Gits?

I am proud of the fact that I can claim to be both a CCGOG and a randy Scouse Git. We are a small but select group.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

After the introduction of FREE NHS dental treatment, there was a flood of men and women wanting complete extractions and full dentures. 

Isn’t it (wasn’t it?) against the dentists code of ethics to remove perfectly healthy teeth? I don’t see that as being acceptable dental practice in many other countries.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It was this demand for dentures on the NHS that led to charges being introduced for dental treatment, charges that have become more onerous as years have gone by.

But what price health? There seems an incredible reluctance to pay for medical & dental care amongst the British, even when they can afford to do so. It seems that many would rather wait in pain, slowly deteriorating rather than fork out for treatment.

My maternal grandfather, a grand old chap (definitely traditional working class who, in the 1930s, went down the mines aged 12 to help feed the family), made a very very apposite comment about the NHS and government services in general. He said “appreciate what they give you, but never ever forget that if they give with the one hand they can (and will) take away with the other”. Wise words indeed.

There are a lot of myths about the foundation of the NHS one of which was only the Tories voted against it. Nothing further from the truth, many groups and parties such as the LCC, various health charities and working class benevolent societies (such as the one my Grandfather was involved in) were against the NHS as they feared, quite rightly, that the NHS would come in, take over the clinics and cottage hospitals created by the charities and benevolent societies for their members, run everything from Whitehall whilst arrogantly ignoring and marginalising those who knew the local needs and local concerns.

They had a point.

But at least it’s free…..

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

40 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not quite an old cynical curmudgeon, but working on it!

You miss the point, anyone who has the talent can be cynical, curmudgeonly and grumpy - even at a young age (although it is rare to see CCG folk under the age of 30).

But to become a Cynical, Curmudgeonly, Grumpy Old Git - well the secret is in the highlighted word: Old.

Nothing can replace years of experience “on the tools“ (so to speak) and a fancy degree from a Russell Group University will not make you a CCGOG any faster!

But keep on being cynical and curmudgeonly, we oldies like to see talent emerge and develop!

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You miss the point, anyone who has the talent can be cynical, curmudgeonly and grumpy - even at a young age (although it is rare to see CCG folk under the age of 30).

But to become a Cynical, Curmudgeonly, Grumpy Old Git - well the secret is in the highlighted word: Old.

Nothing can replace years of experience “on the tools“ (so to speak) and a fancy degree from a Russell Group University will not make you a CCGOG any faster!

But keep on being cynical and curmudgeonly, we oldies like to see talent emerge and develop!

Got those coming out of my ears!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Isn’t it (wasn’t it?) against the dentists code of ethics to remove perfectly healthy teeth?

I’m sure it was/is - but some Dentists made such a sh*tload of money doing it they were quite happy to do so

• Like 2
  • Agree 3