RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

After all, I'm exceptionally good at DIY with my fingers.🤣

May we enquire exactly how many fingers are needed for good DIY.  Just asking for a friend. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

45 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

May we enquire exactly how many fingers are needed for good DIY.  Just asking for a friend. 

Jamie

I didn't know you were ambidextrous.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yup!

Glad I wasn't standing next to that when it went.

11954832_1108870359141585_6398294766691311404_n.jpg.dc62d210e52bf5a905a1ae5bb6a9989e.jpg

I'd be interested to see what the head, block and piston look like....

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

43 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

May we enquire exactly how many fingers are needed for good DIY

Based on a few woodworkers I've encountered over the years, you can manage quite well without the normal allocation. A missing thumb might be more problematical, especially on the dominant hand 🤘

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Two🖕🖕

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I read an interesting account, quite a few years ago, of what could be removed from a human (by whatever means, disease, illness, trauma etc) and that human would still be able to live. The list was extensive, but included the loss of

• all but one lobe of the lung
  • 1.5 kidneys
  • all of the spleen
  • 3/4 of the liver
  • all four limbs
  • both eyes
  • both auditory nerves
  • the gustatory nerve
  • most of the cerebral cortex
  • the spinal cord below a specific cervical vertebra (I forget which one)
  • the external genitalia
  • most of the colon

You wouldn’t be much of a happy camper and would die of starvation if not fed by an attendant, but you wouldn’t be dead!

So the loss of a pachydermal digital tip, whilst unpleasant, does NOT create any concerns about HH experiencing an immanent demise

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I read an interesting account, quite a few years ago, of what could be removed from a human (by whatever means, disease, illness, trauma etc) and that human would still be able to live. The list was extensive, but included the loss of

• 1.5 kidneys
  • all of the spleen
  • 3/4 of the liver
  • all four limbs
  • both eyes
  • both auditory nerves
  • the gustatory nerve
  • the external genitalia
  • most of the colon

You wouldn’t be much of a happy camper and would die of starvation if not fed by an attendant, but you wouldn’t be dead!

So the loss of a pachydermal digital tip, whilst unpleasant, does NOT create any concerns about HH experiencing an immanent demise

I've met several who've obviously had their brain removed yet somehow still manage to walk & talk......

• Agree 11
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've met several who've obviously had their brain removed yet somehow still manage to walk & talk......

....and sit in Parliament.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Well, I got the clothes drier sorted out for our friend much more easily than I anticipated as her son who visited at the weekend had dug a hole for the socket to go

Blinking Kids! 

You would have thought he could have had the nous to finish the job and let a poor crippled veteran have a comfortable afternoon?

5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The steel socket is powder coated so it should last for a good while.

Can you hear my shrieks of laughter?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 12

34 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Can you hear my shrieks of laughter?

Perhaps a more appropriate response would be "coat this" 😁

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Its amazing how a powder-coated finish flakes off after a year or so outdoors,  I'm going to need a new bird feeder soon...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Oh I don't know a bit of arodite and t-cut and it'll be as right as rain.

Or a decent dose of Photoshop!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 07/05/2024 at 15:34, Dave Hunt said:

....and sit in Parliament.

Dave

I know almost nothing about Parliament (that's a brand of cigarettes, isn't it?) but changing that word to Congress would make it more meaningful. Well, maybe to us at  about 3,,000 miles east west of most of you!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a mistake
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Isn't that a requirement?

W S Gilbert got it right in the gaurdsmans song in Iolanthmore than a century ago. 

When all night long MP's divide, we hope with brain and cerebellum too.  They have to leave their brains outside, and vote just as their leaders tell Em too.  

For the prospect of a host of dull MP's alt thinking for themselves is more than mortal man can face with equanimity.

Sullivan got a knighthood for his music but Gilbert never got an honour.  He'd upset too many bigwigs.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16

9 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

W S Gilbert got it right in the gaurdsmans song in Iolanthmore than a century ago. 

When all night long MP's divide, we hope with brain and cerebellum too.  They have to leave their brains outside, and vote just as their leaders tell Em too.  

For the prospect of a host of dull MP's alt thinking for themselves is more than mortal man can face with equanimity.

Sullivan got a knighthood for his music but Gilbert never got an honour.  He'd upset too many bigwigs.  

Jamie

Nothing like a bit of truth or should that be reality to pop pomposity.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Ah Ha!

You really struck a chord with that one Jamie!

I still have a very old Tri-Ang 3-TF named Iolanthe. It was presented to me after my appearances as the page-boy in that G&S production in the Kings in Glasgow quite a long time ago.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

• 1.5 kidneys

all of the spleen

3/4 of the liver

• all four limbs
  • both eyes
  • both auditory nerves
  • the gustatory nerve
  • the external genitalia
  • most of the colon

You wouldn’t be much of a happy camper and would die of starvation if not fed by an attendant, but you wouldn’t be deadJust wish you were.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Didn't get one for this then? That's a shame.

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Gilbert was knighted on 15 July 1907 by Edward VII (note after death of Queen Victoria).

His attitude was a bit put out at its having taken so long, and he had other nits to pick as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Ah Ha!

You really struck a chord with that one Jamie!

I still have a very old Tri-Ang 3-TF named Iolanthe. It was presented to me after my appearances as the page-boy in that G&S production in the Kings in Glasgow quite a long time ago.

My father was the guardsman in a production in  Carlisle the year I was born which is why I know the song so well. I did appear in three school G and S productions but not Iolanthe, I was one of the sisters cousins and aunts in one of them. 

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, SM42 said:

The lurgi has arrived at SM42 Towers. 

So many jobs won't get done today. 

Oh well, never mind. 

Andy

Have you ever noticed how such events coincide with days off or annual holidays?

• Agree 18