Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

An  MP got into to lukewarm  water hereabouts (a while back when the subject of MPs' scandalous / bullying / sexist  behaviour was the in thing) by asking his secretary to do some shopping for him at an adult store

One of his constituents wrote a letter of complaint about this behaviour to the local free newspaper.

They were absolutely disgusted that he had not chosen to support the shop in his constituency

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the rate we are trundling along in the page count department, it may be possible that we will have reached, or even exceeded 150 pages by Christmas Day.

The delivery originally planned for yesterday was postponed when I couldn't find the keys for the X3.

A more detailed and methodical search will take place later, starting in the garage:  I was shifting stuff from there to the car the last time it was opened, so I have a sneaking feeling I've put them down on one of the flat surfaces..... and probably covered then with something else that has been taken in there since.

More urgently, I need a new pair of wellington boots, as I found, when walking to the post box, that one does not keep out any water, much to the dismay of my right sock.

Closer examination found a long tear just above the bottom of the zip.

I used to wear ordinary pull on type boots, but found that the lack of flexion in my left ankle due to arthritis, made getting a boot on very difficult.

A pair of neoprene lined zipped boots were purchased and are far superior as they allow the foot to get into the boot much easier, and are a lot warmer.

Unfortunately, due to the method of construction, which involves  a layer of quite thin rubber over the neoprene liner, they are not as robust.

Blessed with hindsight, I should have gone to the QM just before I retired and exchanged my worn out pair of Boots Combat High and the  spare pair of Boots Direct Moulded Sole (which I should have changed years before when the BCH was introduced) and exchanged them all for new Boots CH.  With the amount of mileage they would have done since, I'd probably be leaving an unused pair to a relative in my will!

Of the military kit that I retained for reservist purposes,  when I retired, the only bits I've now got left  are a Combat Helmet, an S10 respirator, a poncho and a roll necked pullover and a down filled sleeping bag.  The other item which I kept after it was issued for a trail into waterproof combat jackets, was a DPM patterned Barbour jacket.  Although not warm without additional layers it was an excellent jacket for keeping you dry when stood on one of the typical military range firing points.  Warcop or Sennybridge in February springs to mind.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

More urgently, I need a new pair of wellington boots, as I found, when walking to the post box, that one does not keep out any water, much to the dismay of my right sock.

A Hippo that doesn't like getting it's feet wet.....

C'mon, Man Hippo up....

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I have a pair of boots that are 36 years old but for the same reasons as cited by HH I would probably be unable to get my feet into them. I purchased them when I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch were early in 1984 the town was cut off by snow for a week. I realised that I needed some boots and the only places in the town selling such items were the boat chandlers. The boots I purchased were sailing boots, an extra size bigger and a couple of pairs of thick woollen socks hence the extra size. Not only were they warm (with the socks) and comfortable they had a special none slip sole that even gripped ice. They cost twice as much as a pair of wellies but well worth it.

• Like 8

It has been brought to my attention, by a reliable source, that an opportunity has arisen for the resupply of a certain consumable, hint its four letters long and the first letter is 'c'.

That is assuming that HH can find the keys to the X3 and that Bear is able to convince the authorities that he is being transported to Switzerland to help with a breeding program for endangered bears - alternative excuses are available.

Bringing said consumables back into the country shouldn't be a problem so long as they are labelled Covid samples as I believe French customs have orders to expedite such items to the UK.

The combined resources of the TNM followers are at your disposal and await orders for what is likely to be a thrilling installment of Where Eagles Dare - the follow up.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Is an ancient Volvo estate needed for this mission to assist in the transit of said items across France. I presume that the items will need 'feeding' whilst in transit, if so cognac is available, for medicinal purposes obviously. Also quality control can also be undertaken at approprite intervals.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

The key fairy has been around the Hippodrome, since despite checking in my work coat twice yesterday without success, putting it on to go out to the garage had me finding the errant keys in the pocket.

The delivery of the loco bits to Shrewsbury has resulted in another loco being booked to enter Horton Lane Works.  This one is a misbehaving Accucraft Ruby.  NHNeil will know them well as the fixed cylinder equivalent of a Mamod SL1.  Cheap, but not necessarily cheerful.

I'll get it delivered when the national health crisis has calmed down again.

As an aside, I once fixed a brand new Regner 'Lumberjack, which would not more, forwards or back.  Absolutely brand new, it would generate copious amounts of steam, and lose it through the safety valve.

It had obviously never been steam tested before it left the factory as the ports of the  rotary reversing valve block was full of solder.  Obviously someone had been over generous when they applied the solder to the inlet and exhaust pipes.

Fortunately the clean up was easy enough as they'd used soft solder for the pipes.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

It looks like Christmas has arrived early, and in some style.  The Brownie points I spoke about  (a couple of pages back ) has paid off handsomely.  My late sister had a map of south London in her pub, which I much admired.  In time, the map came to me; a bit tatty, but complete. Mrs Smith decided that the map needed a new frame, so hey presto!  Now it looks very worthy of hanging it up somewhere.

The next 'possible'  present'  is my old car, a Scamp Mk 2. Some friends & myself built it for a learning curve, and a bit of fun. That, however, was 1978...  The surprise is that the car is still registered...  So,  Mrs Smith is currently investigating.  I did ask "why?"  "You had the car when we first met, and I found it by accident. so... 

We'll see.....  

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Looking at the rate we are trundling along in the page count department, it may be possible that we will have reached, or even exceeded 150 pages by Christmas Day.

The delivery originally planned for yesterday was postponed when I couldn't find the keys for the X3.

A more detailed and methodical search will take place later, starting in the garage:  I was shifting stuff from there to the car the last time it was opened, so I have a sneaking feeling I've put them down on one of the flat surfaces..... and probably covered then with something else that has been taken in there since.

Closer examination found a long tear just above the bottom of the zip.

I used to wear ordinary pull on type boots, but found that the lack of flexion in my left ankle due to arthritis, made getting a boot on very difficult.

A pair of neoprene lined zipped boots were purchased and are far superior as they allow the foot to get into the boot much easier, and are a lot warmer.

Unfortunately, due to the method of construction, which involves  a layer of quite thin rubber over the neoprene liner, they are not as robust.

Blessed with hindsight, I should have gone to the QM just before I retired and exchanged my worn out pair of Boots Combat High and the  spare pair of Boots Direct Moulded Sole (which I should have changed years before when the BCH was introduced) and exchanged them all for new Boots CH.  With the amount of mileage they would have done since, I'd probably be leaving an unused pair to a relative in my will!

Of the military kit that I retained for reservist purposes,  when I retired, the only bits I've now got left  are a Combat Helmet, an S10 respirator, a poncho and a roll necked pullover and a down filled sleeping bag.  The other item which I kept after it was issued for a trail into waterproof combat jackets, was a DPM patterned Barbour jacket.  Although not warm without additional layers it was an excellent jacket for keeping you dry when stood on one of the typical military range firing points.  Warcop or Sennybridge in February springs to mind.

I have a pair of Sorel boots issued to me while working in Finland and Sweden on the Nord Stream project, great floppy things with felt inner boots. Much warmer than wellies. 

• Like 6

I have a pair of Hunter Balmoral Wellingtons neoprene lined when worn with seaboot socks very warm and dry on the feet. 

I also have a pair of fire service boots steel toe capped with heavy duty sole and big loops for pulling on i use them for concreting and other jobs the Hunters cost a lot of money and are saved for "best"

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the only boots I managed to keep when I left HM's employ were a pair of flying boots,the soles of which are cleverly designed to be as slippy as a slippy thing on any surface other than coarse sandpaper. Hence in an average Britishwinter they are about as useful as chocolate teapots. I did get to keep a couple of flying suits that are useful as overalls as well as a pair of dark green thin cape leather flying gloves. However, being a pilot in the RAF is about the only career where when you leave after forty years you have to give the watch back.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Futher thoughts have been put towards the layout project but construction will not start yet. The boss hasa few projects first which must be done ideally before starting. 

It is designed to be modular double tracked. At each end will be a dumbbell to allow contiuous running to start with. It is to be wired Dc but with possibility of switching to DCc if wanted later.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

a pair of dark green thin cape leather flying gloves.

I used to use a pair of these when were were parachuting from high altitude in the winter.  Mine also had a very thin pair of white cotton gloves that you put on under the leather gloves.

They were excellent for fine dexterity:  You could easily pick a penny up off the floor when wearing them... Try that in normal gloves!  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sorel boots are excellent, but I don't really want to spend the sort of money that such a pair would command, just to wash the car and walk up and down the lane in the poor weather.

I didn’t spend the money either. 

I also have a pair of neoprene lined “green wellies” from one of the outdoor chains which are my “general purpose” boots 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Unfortunately the only boots I managed to keep when I left HM's employ were a pair of flying boots,the soles of which are cleverly designed to be as slippy as a slippy thing on any surface other than coarse sandpaper. Hence in an average Britishwinter they are about as useful as chocolate teapots. I did get to keep a couple of flying suits that are useful as overalls as well as a pair of dark green thin cape leather flying gloves. However, being a pilot in the RAF is about the only career where when you leave after forty years you have to give the watch back.

Dave

A co-worker once broke his ankle, slipping on the carpet at ABZ and falling down three stairs. The moral is, don’t fly while wearing cowboy boots...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I not surprisingly have a set of sailing boots..but I should have got the next set up for more socks..They are to expensive for me to use as general walking boots.

I kept my full uniform for being on reserve service, until my letter pointing out they'd kicked me out for being medically unfit for service, finally reached someone to make the decision, it was pointless being on the reserve..

I don't think I've anything left fit for use of that uniform except the tie...good for funerals...

I bought some RAF lace up riggers boots, that come up as high as wellies. For £25  in a sale from cadet boots, here's their current boots sale page.. https://www.cadetdirect.com/sales-and-clearance/footwear-clearance

If you want they've got boots DMS... https://www.cadetdirect.com/cadet-dms-ankle-boot-grafters?gclid=CjwKCAiAz4b_BRBbEiwA5XlVVi0JWauRnOz7ywIn_yvCpfNIbZ0UeAPRcXg_xXi_R87wG4TiQJ6iRxoCBM8QAvD_BwE

I did look at building a scamp, but then boats took my attention.. Scamp motor company are still around.. http://www.scampmotorcompany.co.uk/

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It has been brought to my attention, by a reliable source, that an opportunity has arisen for the resupply of a certain consumable, hint its four letters long and the first letter is 'c'.

That is assuming that HH can find the keys to the X3 and that Bear is able to convince the authorities that he is being transported to Switzerland to help with a breeding program for endangered bears - alternative excuses are available.

Bringing said consumables back into the country shouldn't be a problem so long as they are labelled Covid samples as I believe French customs have orders to expedite such items to the UK.

The combined resources of the TNM followers are at your disposal and await orders for what is likely to be a thrilling installment of Where Eagles Dare - the follow up.

Does cork really need that level of subterfuge?

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Unfortunately the only boots I managed to keep when I left HM's employ were a pair of flying boots,the soles of which are cleverly designed to be as slippy as a slippy thing on any surface

When I was young and had my first motorbike I bought a pair of (from the ads in Motorcycle News} Spanish Airforce Flying boots (surplus). They were really heavy leather and sheepskin lined. They had a kickstart reinforcer on the sole but it was the wrong side for my BSA. They had thick soles so perhaps the Spanish Airforce needed to walk a lot. 

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When I was young and had my first motorbike I bought a pair of (from the ads in Motorcycle News} Spanish Airforce Flying boots (surplus). They were really heavy leather and sheepskin lined. They had a kickstart reinforcer on the sole but it was the wrong side for my BSA. They had thick soles so perhaps the Spanish Airforce needed to walk a lot. 

They were probably still flying the Buchon and the CASA 211 in those days hence the need for warm footwear.  If you watch the film Battle of Britain (the film Dave keeps having to stand up and salute every time a senior officer arrives) you will see what was probably most of the Spanish Airforce of the time pretending to be the Luftwaffe.  The Buchon was an Me 109 re-engined with a Rolls Royce Merlin, whilst the CASA 211 was the Heinkel 111, again re-engined with Merlins.  The easiest way to identify them is to see whether they had a deep chin under the propeller boss.  the originals did not have these.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

They were probably still flying the Buchon and the CASA 211 in those days hence the need for warm footwear.  If you watch the film Battle of Britain (the film Dave keeps having to stand up and salute every time a senior officer arrives) you will see what was probably most of the Spanish Airforce of the time pretending to be the Luftwaffe.  The Buchon was an Me 109 re-engined with a Rolls Royce Merlin, whilst the CASA 211 was the Heinkel 111, again re-engined with Merlins.  The easiest way to identify them is to see whether they had a deep chin under the propeller boss.  the originals did not have these.

I recall reading somewhere that some of the orignal Me109s had Merlin engines.

IIRC, Rolls Royce sold 4 to the Luftwaffe in the late 30s.

I also recall reading that in the mid 30s at an air show a Polish pilot arrested a supposedly German spy in a restricted area and was told by his commanding officer not to be so serious and to let the man go.

A few years later as that same Polish pilot drifted to earth in his parachute having fallen victim to an Me109, he regretted listening to his superior and letting Willy Messerschmitt go.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

the need for warm footwear

It must have been about 1971I bought the boots so perhaps they had got planes that didn’t require woolly lined boots then. 

Edited by Tony_S
Thanks Q date edited!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1